Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2009, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by weero
What will happen with those flying vintage rust buckets aka 744s? Any chance that they will be upgraded to the level of SQ ten years ago ?
No, and not necessary. When will SQ add E+? Serve the whole can of soda?
Old Oct 31, 2009, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by weero
Given the evanescent price difference between AVOD and any old style IFE built into those birds, it would be hard to justify not to go for it.
I'm pretty sure that with WorldTrav, plus the other unofficial United sources, it is confirmed IFE that it is in.

The bigger question is whether or not they include power outlets for at least E+. That would be much more significant from my point of view.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Yes, there will be AVOD in Y.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Seatexpert needs to change its seatmap to indicate the 3-3-3 configuration and description of AVOD to cover the Y cabin.

It is great to hear the 777 will get new seats and AVOD.^
It will be even better if also get e-power.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 1:59 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
No, and not necessary. When will SQ add E+? Serve the whole can of soda?
On my routes SQ has 32" and modern, thin seats. Legroom is ample compared to E-. It doesn't match E+ though. The main aspect I do appreciate about E+ is that one is segregated from the inexperienced flyers who make for a restless inflight experience.

Not once had an issue to get the whole can aboard SQ. In UA Y and C however, getting any drink can indeed be a challenge.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 1:09 am

Programs: UA 1K
I wonder why UA would do AVOD on their soon-to-be-updated 777's but not their recently refurbished 747's?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 2:10 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by harperb
I wonder why UA would do AVOD on their soon-to-be-updated 777's but not their recently refurbished 747's?
One of the rumours is that the 777s needed to go 3-3-3 seating for re-certification and hence new seating had to be provided anyway.

The 744s never had anything that could be considered PTV and hence installation of AVOD would have added some considerable amount of weight and wiring which would have taken the birdies out of service for even longer.

It was one of those silly patronizing management decisions that "Y pax care for nothing but the price and won't notice the crap product" while at the same time offering the much more expensive E+.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 4:11 pm

How long will the 777 Biz conversion take?

I'm about to book some award tix for next September, and have a choice of IAD-FCO on UA, YYZ/YUL to FCO on AC, or ORD-FRA on LH for the TATL portion. I like the timing on the UA flight the best, as 6pm seems like a good time to eat, then sleep. How long did it take to convert the 747/767, and what are the chances that the 777 would be converted by then? If it's not converted, are the current seats really third rate?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
It's going to take a long time to do all of them. If they start in Feb maybe they'll have 7 or 8 done by Sept (maybe less). The odds of it being on your IAD-FCO flight are probably very slim. I'd count on the old config at this point.

The current recliner seats are fine, but old. Once you've gone lie flat you don't want to go back.. if all you've experienced are recliner style seats then you won't know what you're missing.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
N768UA headed IAD-GSO today... perhaps the first one in for retrofit?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:37 am

Programs: VX Elevate, UA 2P, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Great news, seems it's finally started. ^
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 1P, F9 Ascent, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
I know the 777 new config seat map is not on suite dreams or guru. Anyone have a special link to it somewhere else?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 2:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Seems unlikely -- that would be about 3 months ahead of schedule. Plus I thought that most of them were being done at SFO (all the ones that are not having the retrofit as part of regular maintenance checks -- can't find the thread at the moment).

Probably this is just regular maintenance on this bird.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope. The first one will be in February and will be done in SFO according to United.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
777's - Anything New on Reconfiguration?

I know it is an age old question: Anything new on the schedule for the reconfiguraiton of the 777's in F and C ? Any truth that they are having a problem fitting them in the hull? The UA website has no new info.

Thanks
Old Nov 28, 2009, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
I think the last thing I saw was the Feb 2010 start date announced by UnitedPR here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ns-update.html

Last edited by FortFun; Nov 28, 2009 at 1:20 pm Reason: clarity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.