Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2009, 2:06 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
once all the 777's get re-configured, UA will be the best airline for me. right now, it's really good. But with the 777's converted, it will be the best (for me). ^
I can't wait. Although any C seat is good for me, I will love the new C across the entire fleet.

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Nice! Keeping our local economy strong!
Should be what 1 1/2- 2 years to complete this project?

Originally Posted by planemechanic
32 airplanes are being done as stand-alone visits with no regular maintenance check due at the time those modifications are being scheduled.

The other 14 are being done in conjunction with heavy maintenance checks, either C-checks or D-checks, at one of their Asian maintenance providers. This saves United the extra out of service time for those 14 airplanes.

Considering that the 747 is normally scheduled for 21 days for the IPTE upgrade the concurrent visits, the IPTE/Heavy checks, will allow UA to fly an "extra" 777 for those additional 294 days instead of scheduling them in-house (assuming the visits are similar in length for the B777).

That is a lot of extra revenue back to UA's coffers.

Sounds like a financially sound decision.
I assume you are a UA mechanic and thanks for the thorough explanation.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 9:16 am

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Originally Posted by danielb6752
I'm wondering if the AVOD implementation in Y will add some time to the conversion.
AVOD in Y? Is that confirmed?
Old Oct 30, 2009, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I thought this forum has established the understanding there is no AVOD in Y on the 777s.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Originally Posted by harperb
It looks like they are going to be starting the 777 reconfigs soon, at SFO:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=50325

I am glad to see some movement on the reconfiguration. Where in the article does it give a time frame, let alone "soon"? Did I miss something?
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by planemechanic
32 airplanes are being done as stand-alone visits with no regular maintenance check due at the time those modifications are being scheduled.

The other 14 are being done in conjunction with heavy maintenance checks ........

Sounds like a financially sound decision.
Planemechanic, thanks for the informative update! Now it makes sense indeed! ^
Old Oct 30, 2009, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I thought this forum has established the understanding there is no AVOD in Y on the 777s.
Thats what I thought as well, hence my surprise to see something otherwise.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by smashr
Well .. it's terribly overdue, isn't it. UA has by far the crappiest coach product I have experienced in years on different carriers (not counting the seats where one does not fit in like on LX).

Now that even AA and AF offer AVOD in coach, the conversion is not optional IMO.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
In addition to AVOD, is there any confirmation on the reconfiguration to 3-3-3 from 2-5-2?
Old Oct 30, 2009, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by weero
Well .. it's terribly overdue, isn't it. UA has by far the crappiest coach product I have experienced in years on different carriers (not counting the seats where one does not fit in like on LX).

Now that even AA and AF offer AVOD in coach, the conversion is not optional IMO.
Originally Posted by smashr
If I had to pick, i'd rather have Economy Plus over AVOD. Of course both would be nice, but I somehow don't think we'll be getting AVOD in Y on the updated 777's.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by harperb
If I had to pick, i'd rather have Economy Plus over AVOD. Of course both would be nice, but I somehow don't think we'll be getting AVOD in Y on the updated 777's.
As has been mentioned several times in the previous 777 threads, there seems to be some solid, although officially unconfirmed, information that AVOD will be installed in Y.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Yes, there will be AVOD in Y.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 5:14 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Yes, there will be AVOD in Y.
I thought it was only individual screens, but worldtrav has never steered us wrong, so I'm a believer.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:09 pm

When do you expect the 777 to be outfitted on the SIN-NRT-IAD route? I don't see it on the suitedreams website.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:56 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
When do you expect the 777 to be outfitted on the SIN-NRT-IAD route?
I'd give it a year before the fleet is at a significant percentage.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I thought it was only individual screens, but worldtrav has never steered us wrong, so I'm a believer.
Given the evanescent price difference between AVOD and any old style IFE built into those birds, it would be hard to justify not to go for it.

What will happen with those flying vintage rust buckets aka 744s? Any chance that they will be upgraded to the level of SQ ten years ago ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.