Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by LMUnited1K
Has anyone else noticed from the pics of the new United 777 business class seats that a single immovable armrest has been installed between each set of two seats?? This goes both for the 2 seats near the windows, and for each set of two seats in the middle section of four (meaning this fat, immovable armrest is between the 1st and 2nd, and then the 3rd and 4th seats). Even worse, there is no center divider between the armrests of seats 2 and 3 in the middle section--meaning that if both passengers put the armrests down, they will be lying together, even touching each other. Unless the other passenger was really hot, I don't think I'd be amused by this, espcially if I were flying on a paid ticket. Look at the photos in the following links to see what I mean:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/4879739/

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...8&id=512871228

The photo in the 1st link shows the 4 seats in the middle. Look at how tight the seats are pressed together, and how there is no room between the middle two seats! It looks just like coach!!!! I was wondering how they were going to fit 2-4-2 on the 777 (increasing it from the previous 2-3-2), and now it is obvious that they have removed one of the movable armrests from each seat, replaced it with a single armrest for both seats that LOOKS wide, but really cuts into the upper body/seat space. And in the very center of the middle section, they have done away with any sort of attempt to create space.

I just flew CO for the 1st time in many years (have only been on United). I was in C class from EWR to Shanghai in the new lie flat seats. I have to say that those new seats (same manufacture as United) are far superior in design, managing to combine storage space, with privacy, with a social atmosphere, with a lie-flat bed, with excellent seat count. In fact, they can fit 16 of these seats into the F cabin of a 757. How many PS 1st fliers would rather have these seats than 12 of those rickety slanted sleepers that exist now?

VERY disappointed in the layout of the 777 C class. F cabin looks fabulous, but they have really shafted the business class customer. When I pay $10,000+ for my seat, my elbow better not touch anybody else's, unless I want it to. 767 C class still has both sides movable armrests, and I believe the 747 does as well (have only flown 1st on the 747).

Anyway, check it out! I would love to hear what people think of our beloved UA pulling a fast one on C class.
Yeah the middle seats in the first picture seem incredibly close together. I've noticed that airlines (I really noticed this on Swiss) have used the flat-bed feature to decrease the seat width but this seems like it's going even further. I have also heard very positive feedback about the new continental seats from a colleague who flew them to Brazil.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
I still dont get how UA could go from 2-3-2 on the 777 to 2-4-2 the old seats were defintiely wider and imo more comfy. I did the LHR to ORD run on the 767 and the seat felt a lot more clausatrophobic. CO have managed to maintain a like for like upgrade with their lie flat product so I just dont get what UA were thinking here!
Old Aug 27, 2010, 2:10 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by rajsbasi
I still dont get how UA could go from 2-3-2 on the 777 to 2-4-2
They didn't; they went from 2-5-2 to 3-3-3.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
They didn't; they went from 2-5-2 to 3-3-3.
He's talking biz (C/J) not cabbage (Y).
Old Aug 27, 2010, 2:21 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Ah, gotcha. Thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2010, 7:54 pm

CO has 2-2-2 in BF on the 777

It will be interesting to see which way the new United goes with the rest of the 777's. Continental has chosen a 2-2-2 configuration of their 777s. I haven't flown in their new BusinessFirst seats, but they look nice on line.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Asiana Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Sofitel A/Club Plat, AMEX Centurion, LHW Leaders Club
Unhappy Reconfigured 777 Business Class - Seats not open for allocation

I am flying IAD-LHR (UA918) in December in the newly reconfigured C class, but for some reason only about 3 seats are open for allocation. Having checked UA's website the same applies on every single UA918 flight throughout the whole month. Only seats 8A, 8B and 8G are listed as available, with the occasional 9A and 9B.

Why would UA do this?

Kind of frustrating as I am trying to secure window seats in either row 6 or 7.

Does anyone know when UA are likely to allow people to choose their seats in new C? I really don't want it to become a scramble at check-in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Overlord
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
This is SOP for the new config. They had the same bug (though some called it a feature) for the 747 reconfig.

And remember - you're not the only one who can't pick seats, so you're not losing any ground.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
This is SOP for the new config. They had the same bug (though some called it a feature) for the 747 reconfig.

And remember - you're not the only one who can't pick seats, so you're not losing any ground.
does this get resolved when the entire fleet is converted, or does it just take some time to fix this?
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
does this get resolved when the entire fleet is converted, or does it just take some time to fix this?
Good question. Only time will tell. It is funny that it seems to have gotten worse recently as they're changing more flights in advance. Perhaps they don't have high enough confidence in their own schedules? Hopefully as the flight approaches, it will change.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
It appears that my LAX-DEN flight today is on one of the new config 777's. I got a nice pleasant surprise when I checked in today.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
What is E+ like on the new 777?
Old Aug 29, 2010, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
What is E+ like on the new 777?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nal-cabin.html
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
777 Seat Assignments

From United Sales Dept -

"As part of our extensive modification project, the seating configuration will change across all cabins on our ** 777 International widebody fleet** In an effort to minimize customer impact, we are limiting seat assignments to those seats that are common on both "classic" and new aircraft. We expect equipment swaps with short notice. Until the project is complete, utilizing only the “common seats” for advance seat assignments will help United better manage expectations of pre-assigned seating and the re-accommodation within the check-in period."
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Just got "beware" seats in business of C/D/G according to airlineexpert in business. Should be fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.