Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Old May 3, 10, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
Why, is it the plan that no one cares about reconfiguration? I, for one, will not pay for business if it isn't a flat bed.
CO new seat is flat? I imagine they will want all the same seats on the 777's also same seat maps so they can swap around planes.. So it would make sense to use ONE seat and not 2 different seats. I assume CO and UA have different seats looking at the pictures.
Old May 3, 10, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by why fly View Post
I assume CO and UA have different seats looking at the pictures.
Really hard to tell - other than the 777 cramming-in issue, the CO flyers say the main difference is that their BF seat is wider - though it's hard to tell looking at that pic, and the CO BF page doesn't say anything about width.
Old May 3, 10, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
When I have flown on the INTL 777, the FAs have done the safety briefing manually. I assumed this was because the video screens and C & F had to be stowed. With the new config, will they start using the safety video, or will they still do a manual briefing?
Old May 3, 10, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Really hard to tell - other than the 777 cramming-in issue, the CO flyers say the main difference is that their BF seat is wider - though it's hard to tell looking at that pic, and the CO BF page doesn't say anything about width.
I have used UA new C seats lots, and they are great I like them much better than the pods, of other airlines. I dont find the UA seats to narrow but im only 160lbs.
Old May 3, 10, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
When I have flown on the INTL 777, the FAs have done the safety briefing manually. I assumed this was because the video screens and C & F had to be stowed. With the new config, will they start using the safety video, or will they still do a manual briefing?
Possibly, however there is still the issue of the bulkhead economy seats with no screen, which is not an issue on the 747. I guess they can do it on the 767 so why not?
Old May 4, 10, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomKozski View Post
When is the next 777 scheduled to get the new seats? I guess we'll be able to tell if the next one goes in as planned.
Originally Posted by why fly View Post
I have got to think it will be put on hold... both CO and UA are in the middle of conversion so now both will be put on hold.
Feeling uneasy, that the second plane has not gone in. If it does not, this suxxs!
Old May 4, 10, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
The second plane cannot go in yet as the 30 day period is not up yet for the prototype.
Old May 4, 10, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k View Post
The second plane cannot go in yet as the 30 day period is not up yet for the prototype.
I can see a restriction on when the second plane can be signed off, but what's the logic of not starting the work yet? I wouldn't expect they've hit any issues that would require changes.
Old May 4, 10, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
In previous discussions with UA managers I was told that part of the 30 days is necessary to update drawings and procedures because of issues that were found when doing the prototype -- there are always some.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; May 4, 10 at 3:08 pm
Old May 4, 10, 11:42 am

Programs: UA GS *G
I was looking at CO's businessfirst seats and they seem to be almost identical to the UA business seats or at least made by the same manufacturer. Perhaps they'll continue with the UA reconfig and simply convert CO's widebody fleet to the new UA 3-class configuration.
Old May 4, 10, 11:54 am

CO's website says that the seats are 22" wide measuring from the inside of one armrest to the inside of the other armrest, so they are pretty close to being the same width. However, CO's 777s are configured 2-2-2 instead of 2-4-2. It is going to be interesting to see how this works out.
Old May 4, 10, 12:04 pm

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
Originally Posted by smichelm View Post
I was looking at CO's businessfirst seats and they seem to be almost identical to the UA business seats or at least made by the same manufacturer. Perhaps they'll continue with the UA reconfig and simply convert CO's widebody fleet to the new UA 3-class configuration.
Jeff and Glen did mention that they are expecting $1.2 billion in transaction costs from the merger. I know a great deal of that will be for IT but maybe they've budgeted some in there for fleet transitions. Really it shouldn't be that hard as UA and CO share common long haul aircraft types and CO only has 46 widebodies.
Old May 4, 10, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Gold, HH Diamond
Do we know which of the three SFO-LHR flights the new 777 will be put on?
Old May 4, 10, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by smichelm View Post
They're much wider, 2-2-2 on the 777 instead of 2-4-2.
Old May 4, 10, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
Back to 2-3-2 we go!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: