Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2009, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC *S, Marriott Plat....
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For the limited number of folks carrying them and have you ever try using one in E- with seat in front of you reclined
Netbooks are 10" or smaller units. They easily fit on a tray table and cost as little as $200.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
New screens do not imply AVOD.
I would think that new seats+new screens would actually be more expensive to outfit with non-avod PTV looping films technologies (if they're even made anymore?). If you've got to rip out the seats+screens anyway and replace with new build, the marginal cost of going AVOD at that point is minimal, given that the hardware will already be installed for the F/C cabins.

The one way it makes sense to go non-AVOD is I guess UA could convert the Y cabin to 747 style overhead screens. Would probably be the first IFE retrogression on an international plane in the history of flying, but wouldn't put it past UA.

Originally Posted by chichow
Which is interesting given how much changes in a 2 year period.

I remember when flying paid business and I HAD to be there, I wouldn't fly the 747, but would take the 777 because of all of the mechanical issues with the 747s.
UA has a summer schedule that only requires 21 747s. They have extras as hot spares in the hubs because of the low dispatch reliability of the 747 and lack of resale value on the aftermarket.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 12:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by d3van
Netbooks are 10" or smaller units. They easily fit on a tray table and cost as little as $200.
As ASUS owner (and a full size laptop), well understand the size.... comments still stand.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by andrewwm
the marginal cost of going AVOD at that point is minimal, given that the hardware will already be installed for the F/C cabins.
One server driving many screens is far cheaper than one server per seat.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
One server driving many screens is far cheaper than one server per seat.
The costs of the electronics serving the content aren't really the dominant cost - it's the power units (those huge equipment boxes on the 777 and 767), the screen, the electronics needed to drive the screen, plus the PCU (passenger control unit). If you've got to replace all of that anyway, the cost of getting a new system versus buying a looping system is pretty minimal (if new looping systems are even still sold that would drive all of those seats).

The big reason that they weren't replaced on the current gen airplanes is that you'd have to basically replace all the seats at the same time, since the PCU and the new screens probably wouldn't fit in the old seats.

Edit: There is an argument for ongoing maintenance costs, however. As the Panasonic units in the new seats demonstrate, IFE systems are maintenance hogs.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Actually I think 747 and 777 go mechanical about the same, I have seen the past month ORD-SFO-ORD two occasions were supposed to be 777, got subbed both times with the 747.

D check is not performed when they put in new C, if it is true, then you would see planes with new C also come with new color, D check require to strip off the paint at the fuselage in order to inspect cracks. In reality, there are planes with new color but old C, e.g. N171UA and N177UA. And planes in old color but new C, e.g. N127UA
I have been on a 744 in old color and new C/F seats. I thought it was odd they changed to new configuration during D check without repainting the plane in new livery.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

D check is not performed when they put in new C, if it is true, then you would see planes with new C also come with new color,
These two things are unrelated. The airplanes are not stripped of paint at the D check.

D check require to strip off the paint at the fuselage in order to inspect cracks.
Again, not true. Very few skin inspections require stripping the paint, and those that do are typically done by stripping just that specific area and then repainting that small area. This is why you will sometimes see new areas of paint within the original paint job.

In reality, there are planes with new color but old C, e.g. N171UA and N177UA. And planes in old color but new C, e.g. N127UA
True, since the visits are unrelated, this can happen.

The IPTE work is done:

a.) as a standalone visit
b.) in conjunction with c-checks
c.) in conjunction with d-checks

and each visit takes a different amount of time.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA has a summer schedule that only requires 21 747s. They have extras as hot spares in the hubs because of the low dispatch reliability of the 747 and lack of resale value on the aftermarket.
There is no such thing as a "spare" 747. They do have the ability to take a 747 that is scheduled for an afternoon flight and use that plane on a morning flight which allows them time to fix whatever was wrong with the original airplane. But there are no "spares" just sitting there unscheduled.

You may be confusing the schedule with the airplanes needed to keep the schedule in force. Typically there is always one airplane in scheduled maintenance at any one time, either c-check or D-check, sometimes there are two. Then you add in the other maintenance visits, such as gear changes, service bulletin work etc.. and you can lose another plane out of the schedule. This is true of all fleets. Some fleets have 3-4 aircraft in c-check/d-checks at any one time.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 2:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
UA has a summer schedule that only requires 21 747s.
How did you learn this fact? Did you go through the schedule and track 747 movement over a period of days until you got back to the initial configuration? Or is the data available somewhere?
Old Aug 2, 2009, 6:07 pm

United's New Business Class for SIN-NRT-IAD

Is there any chance UA upgrades the fleet on this route or makes any chances before June?

I am flying in June 2010 will the new business class be configured for the SIN-NRT-IAD. Are they configuring every plane for certain routes? I would assume United would do it for this route as its one of its longest routes. I was just wondering when its supposed to be fully completed.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 12, 2009 at 8:29 am
Old Aug 2, 2009, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Is there any chance UA upgrades the fleet on this route or makes any chances before June?
NOPE
Old Aug 5, 2009, 9:11 am

RE: Uniteds New Business Class for SIN-NRT-IAD

Why are you saying nope? When United is saying they are reconfiguring all of their international aircraft for business class
http://www.suitedreams.united.com/

They even have that dedicated website for it. My guess is flight 804 will be one of the first to be configured in the new business class considering it is one of its longest routes. Does anyone know when the 777 of this route will be completed?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:32 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Please see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ns-update.html
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:52 am

Actually, as an aside, NRT-IAD as of December (can't remember exact cutover date, may be earlier) goes to a 744, which means short of them failing to complete the last 1 or 2 planes by then, you would be in new biz class...
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ASUDan130

I am flying in June 2010 will the new business class be configured for the SIN-NRT-IAD. Are they configuring every plane for certain routes? I would assume United would do it for this route as its one of its longest routes. I was just wondering when its supposed to be fully completed.
The 747's will all be reconfigured before next June. The 777's conversion won't even start until next February, at the earliest. Chances of reconfigured 777 on the NRT-SIN route by next June is slim to none.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.