Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Old Jul 8, 09, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by DanTheMan39 View Post
Was there a problem that caused a delay, or is this the original schedule?
They had to certify a whole new set of seats for the Coach cabin, and that took much longer than anticipated.
Old Jul 8, 09, 8:05 am

Programs: AS MVP75K, UA Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
...which is why the only international UA777 you'll see me on for the next two years is one on which I secured a confirmable upgrade at time of booking. Not going to pay for old-style, non-upgradeable Z fares on United when ANA, JAL, Cathay, Singapore, etc etc etc have so much more to offer.
which means you'll be waiting until the whole fleet is complete, since you won't be confirmed 100% until you actually walk on the plane.
Old Jul 8, 09, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
Originally Posted by why fly View Post
unless UA starts to make money how will they pay for the seats.
One could also ask the question, "How will UA ever make money without installing the seats?"
Old Jul 8, 09, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by kenhawk View Post
One could also ask the question, "How will UA ever make money without installing the seats?"
+1^. With the beginnings of a competitive product, they will be the US carrier of choice for business travelers to/from any non-gateway US airport. Now, all they need to do is make the domestic First product more user-friendly so that the traveler from, say, GVA connecting through ORD to AUS can be properly fed and looked after on the domestic part of the trip.
Old Jul 8, 09, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by kenhawk View Post
they have never made money in 10 years are seats really going to make a difference.
Old Jul 8, 09, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
They had to certify a whole new set of seats for the Coach cabin, and that took much longer than anticipated.
Right. And it's going to be "a while" before the conversion starts, according to a senior VP I spoke with. There will also definitely be no AVOD in Y.
Old Jul 8, 09, 4:17 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
it's going to be "a while" before the conversion starts, according to a senior VP I spoke with.
I wonder if that means they'll miss the anticipated September start date for the first reconfig to begin.
Old Jul 8, 09, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
All my SWUs for late 2009, and the one op-up I got in May GRU-IAD, went to 777 metal I try to keep it in perspective that two years ago, I would have been tickled just to be confirmed into (now old) C so far in advance.
Old Jul 9, 09, 8:45 am

Programs: UA Plat 1MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
There will also definitely be no AVOD in Y.
Whoa, really? I thought they really didn't have a choice because of compatibility issues.
Old Jul 9, 09, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
...which is why the only international UA777 you'll see me on for the next two years is one on which I secured a confirmable upgrade at time of booking. Not going to pay for old-style, non-upgradeable Z fares on United when ANA, JAL, Cathay, Singapore, etc etc etc have so much more to offer.
Which is interesting given how much changes in a 2 year period.

I remember when flying paid business and I HAD to be there, I wouldn't fly the 747, but would take the 777 because of all of the mechanical issues with the 747s.

But since I am guessing that a D check is performed when they are putting in the new C, the 747s haven't had as many issues as in the past.

UA with corporate discounts and the new C/F is a DAMN competitive product. I would say the current best front cabin of any US airline.
Old Jul 9, 09, 10:55 am

Programs: UA*G, AA PLT, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chichow View Post

I remember when flying paid business and I HAD to be there, I wouldn't fly the 747, but would take the 777 because of all of the mechanical issues with the 747s.

But since I am guessing that a D check is performed when they are putting in the new C, the 747s haven't had as many issues as in the past.
Actually I think 747 and 777 go mechanical about the same, I have seen the past month ORD-SFO-ORD two occasions were supposed to be 777, got subbed both times with the 747.

D check is not performed when they put in new C, if it is true, then you would see planes with new C also come with new color, D check require to strip off the paint at the fuselage in order to inspect cracks. In reality, there are planes with new color but old C, e.g. N171UA and N177UA. And planes in old color but new C, e.g. N127UA
Old Jul 9, 09, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by coolbeans202 View Post
I thought they really didn't have a choice because of compatibility issues.
New screens do not imply AVOD.
Old Jul 9, 09, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG View Post
Actually I think 747 and 777 go mechanical about the same, I have seen the past month ORD-SFO-ORD two occasions were supposed to be 777, got subbed both times with the 747.

D check is not performed when they put in new C, if it is true, then you would see planes with new C also come with new color, D check require to strip off the paint at the fuselage in order to inspect cracks. In reality, there are planes with new color but old C, e.g. N171UA and N177UA. And planes in old color but new C, e.g. N127UA
oh...didn't know. Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 09, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC *S, Marriott Plat....
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
New screens do not imply AVOD.
All I really want is AC power. AVOD / Seatback Screens aren't a necessity for me. Netbooks/notebooks will make any AVOD obsolete within a year... If they really wanted to impress, they would set up WIFI within the cabin so it's ready when the technology exists to make it useful. Heck, they could even stream movies or shows over WIFI to any device... Probably would be cheaper and more reliable than having hundreds of screens etc. Puts the onus of operating entertainment on the customer.

Just give us POWER!
Old Jul 9, 09, 11:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by d3van View Post
... Netbooks/notebooks will make any AVOD obsolete within a year... ...
For the limited number of folks carrying them and have you ever try using one in E- with seat in front of you reclined

Search this Thread
Search Engine: