Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Old Mar 15, 2010, 5:18 am

There's something I really don't get.
The first 777 (N783UA) is presumably undergoing conversion and should be done in few weeks time.
Yet nobody can definitely confirm how it'll be finally kitted out.
I hope engineers converting the bird know the seating plan and what IE sytem to put in E cabins.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:42 am

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
Originally Posted by daron4000
On a flight back from London today, I had a great chat with one of the FA's. The conversation began with bid sheets and turned to the new plane. She went into the manual and there were 3 new 777 configurations, with the seat map on the front of one page, and printed type with info about the plane on the back. All 3 confirmed what unitedfa posted, that UF/UB would have AVOD and UE would have 9 video and 20 audio channels. There will be non-adaptor power ports in all classes, however. So regardless of whether rumors say AVOD in all classes, I can say that FA's are being told that the entertainment will be different in economy than in First and Business according to their new manuals.
So there's basically no improvement in Y...Bummer.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I can't conceive of that crummy AVOD system being able to handle adding all the seats of economy to it.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by IADtoWhere
So there's basically no improvement in Y...Bummer.
No, at least we get power ports in Y
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
+1. I'd personally rather have the AC power/regular AV combo over no power/AVOD, if it came to that decision.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:55 am

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
+1. I'd personally rather have the AC power/regular AV combo over no power/AVOD, if it came to that decision.
I agree that in seat power is huge. I just like to see UA keeping up with Delta w/respect to AVOD.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:55 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by DogHead
There's something I really don't get.
The first 777 (N783UA) is presumably undergoing conversion and should be done in few weeks time.
Yet nobody can definitely confirm how it'll be finally kitted out.
I hope engineers converting the bird know the seating plan and what IE sytem to put in E cabins.
N783UA seems to be in active service right now: did NRT-LAX-IAD-LHR, FRA-ORD in the last couple of days?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by daron4000
She went into the manual and there were 3 new 777 configurations, with the seat map on the front of one page,
Still 3 configurations? I thought they were moving the crew rest area on one to be consistent with another, reducing the # of unique configurations.

9 video and 20 audio, that's what we have today. I'd be pretty bummed to see zero improvement on that front. Though major +1 for power.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by djmp
... N783UA seems to be in active service right now: did NRT-LAX-IAD-LHR, FRA-ORD in the last couple of days? ...
Yes, you're right. N794UA is in the workshop.
Looks like I know as much about the subject as UA itself.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HGP Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I can't conceive of that crummy AVOD system being able to handle adding all the seats of economy to it.
"That crummy AVOD system" seems to work just fine on an A380. Seems to be working fine on full up 777's as well.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:46 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Purported FT insiders say AVOD in Y. FA manual apparently says no AVOD in Y. My money is on the purported FT insiders.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:42 pm

Programs: My posts are solely my opinion and do not represent the official position of United Airlines
Originally Posted by nnn
Purported FT insiders say AVOD in Y. FA manual apparently says no AVOD in Y. My money is on the purported FT insiders.

Funny isn't it - quite a few people say on this thread there will be AVOD. People don't read the whole thread (understandably!) so it gets repeated.

During a conversation with an FA it gets mentioned that UE will have different IFE to UF and UB but it doesn't say that the UE entertainment will not be AVOD.

Suddenly everyone reads that there is no AVOD in UE.

Classic Chinese whispers!!
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Personally I don't care what they do in whY, they could hand everyone one of these: as they board for all I care just hurry it up already so we can get some lie flat beds in C
Old Mar 15, 2010, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by StayUnited
Funny isn't it - quite a few people say on this thread there will be AVOD. People don't read the whole thread (understandably!) so it gets repeated.

During a conversation with an FA it gets mentioned that UE will have different IFE to UF and UB but it doesn't say that the UE entertainment will not be AVOD.

Suddenly everyone reads that there is no AVOD in UE.

Classic Chinese whispers!!
I'm guessing it's because "9 channels of video and 20 audio channels" doesn't really sound like AVOD.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by hur88
I'm guessing it's because "9 channels of video and 20 audio channels" doesn't really sound like AVOD.
Because it sounds exactly like what is offered today @:-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.