Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:40 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

If UA's 777 retrofit does not include Panasonic's latest system Xseries (or equivalent) I will be sorely disappointed. There is no point in installing "tape/loop system" even in the digital format. It is like putting cassettes in cars still.

I expect the 777 to be in 3 3 3, and look like this

Disappointing United isn't releasing photos or flash demos like they did when F and C got the upgrade.

AND BRING BACK BPM programming
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
My guess is they will go touch-screen rather than remote to save weight and cost...and that AVOD does show up. And I hope they don't go with that plastic circle for the cups - the tiny cups with sharp edges. So SQ/LH.

That said, the addition of AC power is the key upgrade for many.

Still have the open question...footrests?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
In E-, there's barely enough room for feet, let alone footrests. And I wouldn't expect UA to install two different types of seats in Y either.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
In E-, there's barely enough room for feet, let alone footrests. And I wouldn't expect UA to install two different types of seats in Y either.
SQ has it in their Y. It allows for better body positioning to watch the TV screen positioned 6" in front of your face.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by ualisthebst
Found this video the other day...start it at the 2:15 mark when they walk through the 747-400. Notice how crammed all the C seats are and how crowded the upper deck looks. Also notice the legroom at 4:16...looks like E+ today.

Rather nostalgic....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWZxrU8ldA4
It does not look like a OP, as OP C class go all the way to door 3, in the video, before door 3 is already Y, more like a OB.

As cram as it was the C seat, it still has 44" of legroom, that was pretty standard in the 90s for everyone in C.

C meal at that time wasn't even using trays at all, it was like F.

SQ has it in their Y. It allows for better body positioning to watch the TV screen positioned 6" in front of your face.
Footrest in Y is a bad idea, not unless you are 5"5" or shorter. When the footrest flip up, it had taken at least 1" of legroom.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
With only 40 C seats, (roughly ~20% reduction from old config) how many international segments will the average 1K have to fly in order to clear 6 systemwide upgrades from Y to C? It does not seem to be promising.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by johdhj
This is just a theory, but...
The 1 rail mounted to the 3 seats will not be able to meet the 16g requirement with the video equipment installed. Of course, this is all predicated upon the fact that my observations about the mount points are correct.
So...<still gnawing at the bone>

1) Leave the 2-5-2 config.
2) Use the new dual-view screens I saw at CES two years ago and mount dual-view screens on the backs of D and F seats. (E seats get a regular screen; no screens on the backs of C or G seats).
3) Pax in C seats look a bit to the right and see/hear one channel, pax in D seats look a bit to the left and see/hear another channel. Same thing for F/G seats.
4) Total screens per row of 5 seats: 3. (Two of which are dual-view screen)
5) Weight problem solved.

See? I told you it was a budget issue!

BTW, you could also do this for the AB and HJ rows and save even more weight.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:31 pm

Or just hook-up with a 3rd and travel as a threesome as well.

Ideally they'd have gone 2-4-3 to satisfy couples and typical 2 kid families (such as mine) as well. But not to be.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: My posts are solely my opinion and do not represent the official position of United Airlines
Thumbs up

My guess is they will go touch-screen rather than remote to save weight and cost...and that AVOD does show up. And I hope they don't go with that plastic circle for the cups - the tiny cups with sharp edges. So SQ/LH.

That said, the addition of AC power is the key upgrade for many.

Don't worry, there is no cup-holder or control for the AVOD in the seat in front of you! In fact I'm pretty sure it's touch screen as I don't remember seeing a control console in the arm rest either but don't take that as gospel.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 1:53 pm

For economy:
It's touchscreen, seat slides forward when reclined and has credit card slot for purchasing certain in-flight entertainment.
Uses same system as UF/UB but with less options and smaller screen.

There are still some 2-seaters in E+, namely the seats in front of the exit rows.
Some E+ center seats have a lot of pitch(crewrest seats).
Old Mar 2, 2010, 2:42 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by StayUnited
Don't worry, there is no cup-holder or control for the AVOD in the seat in front of you! In fact I'm pretty sure it's touch screen as I don't remember seeing a control console in the arm rest either but don't take that as gospel.
Don't worry? I like the cupholder in the seatback. it folds away when you dont want it, and holds the current united econ cups. Oh well.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
Don't worry? I like the cupholder in the seatback. it folds away when you dont want it, and holds the current united econ cups. Oh well.
I'm not sure if it will hold the current UA econ cups, they're wider and have smooth edges.

More importantly, having just the swing-out cupholder encourages FAs to only fill the cup, not provide the whole can by default as they do today. @:-)

I like UA drink service the way it is - I do NOT want to go the way of SQ/LH.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by johdhj
Ah, so rumors of AVOD in economy have proven to be false! How bittersweet. But at least United is consistent across their international fleet.
Not at all true, economy has AVOD.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav
That's good news! Source?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by unitedfa

United First and Business on demand movies, music..ect.

Coach will have 9 channels of video and 20 audio channels.
Originally Posted by worldtrav
This is why the rumors are getting less reliable than Tiger Woods sightings, and another reason to wonder why UA won't come out and announce something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.