Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

 
Old Mar 1, 2010, 6:11 pm
  #436  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland
Programs: SPG Plat, UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 122
3-3-3 is pretty much on all the airlines now days
liche90 is offline  
Old Mar 1, 2010, 6:17 pm
  #437  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: People's Republic of HotTubistan
Posts: 1,408
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Otherwise, you're saying that there is no possible 2-5-2 config of any kind that would work, and I can think of one possible right off the bat: Larger F and C cabins and a smaller Y cabin.
I think you're right the first time: no possible 2-5-2 config of any kind would work: any group of 5 Y seats, with the associated AVOD equipment, would fail the 16 G test.

Wouldn't matter how many or how few rows of Y there were -- any nest of 5 fails the test.
Bitterroot is offline  
Old Mar 1, 2010, 6:44 pm
  #438  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: FLL, MEL, SIN, WAS
Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Posts: 12,490
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Larger F and C cabins and a smaller Y cabin.
It reminds me the 747-400OA aircraft UA used to operate between LAX-HKG, ORD-NRT, and a handful of transpac routes seasonally. IIRC, there were 36F and 120C in that plane. Unfortunately for UA, it did not make any economic sense when the premium traffic died down after the dotcom crash in 2000.

IIRC, in the early to mid 90's, UA also had 747-200OP configured with large F/C cabins, and they operated almost exclusively on JFK-NRT with continued services to PEK.

For the upgraders with UA status, those aircrafts were great. I once flew LAX-HKG (late 90s), Y was over sold, and they were upgrading people left and right. There was a family of three (parents with one child) upgraded from the middle section of the row in Y. I spoke to the husband during the flight and found out he was a first year 2P traveling out of country for the first time with his family. He was so excited that his newly minted 2P would open up a whole new world of travel experience for him and he was looking forward to enjoy his 2P elite status with more upgrades coming....... how things have changed since then,
UA_Flyer is offline  
Old Mar 1, 2010, 8:17 pm
  #439  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: ORD, HKG
Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Posts: 10,326
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
It reminds me the 747-400OA aircraft UA used to operate between LAX-HKG, ORD-NRT, and a handful of transpac routes seasonally. IIRC, there were 36F and 120C in that plane. Unfortunately for UA, it did not make any economic sense when the premium traffic died down after the dotcom crash in 2000.
It was 744OP, not OA.

OA was the one with large Y, small C. Usually use for ORD-HKG.

I remembered as that was my first ever UA flight, UA 883 ORD-NRT.

As it was my first UA flight, I don't have status, but all I ask at checkin was for an aisle seat, I then got a seat assignment for 27C, I didn't even know I got a C seat til I boarded the plane. It was a H class ticket though.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Mar 1, 2010 at 8:26 pm
ORDnHKG is offline  
Old Mar 2, 2010, 2:07 am
  #440  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: East Coast
Programs: United Mileage Plus/ GS
Posts: 62
So here's what I know...sorry if it's been posted already.

There are three versions of the reconfigured 777.

Two will feature
8 First Class Suites
40 Business seats 2-4-2
218 (101 Economy Plus Seats) 3-3-3

Total Seat Capacity will be 266

The third version will have
8 First Class Suites
40 Business Seats 2-4-2
221 (104 Economy Plus) 3-3-3

Total Seat Capacity 269

All will have 110 volt, no adapter needed in First and Business
In coach 110 volt, no adapter needed (2 outlets for every 3 seat group, and 1 for every 2 seat group)

United First and Business on demand movies, music..ect.

Coach will have 9 channels of video and 20 audio channels.

Last edited by unitedfa; Mar 2, 2010 at 2:08 am Reason: Because I felt like it...just kidding..forgot to include seat capacity
unitedfa is offline  
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:08 am
  #441  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 512
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
It reminds me the 747-400OA aircraft UA used to operate between LAX-HKG, ORD-NRT, and a handful of transpac routes seasonally. IIRC, there were 36F and 120C in that plane.
Found this video the other day...start it at the 2:15 mark when they walk through the 747-400. Notice how crammed all the C seats are and how crowded the upper deck looks. Also notice the legroom at 4:16...looks like E+ today.

Rather nostalgic....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWZxrU8ldA4
ualisthebst is offline  
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:01 am
  #442  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by unitedfa

Coach will have 9 channels of video and 20 audio channels.
Ah, so rumors of AVOD in economy have proven to be false! How bittersweet. But at least United is consistent across their international fleet.
johdhj is offline  
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:17 am
  #443  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Posts: 27,107
Originally Posted by Bitterroot
I think you're right the first time: no possible 2-5-2 config of any kind would work: any group of 5 Y seats, with the associated AVOD equipment, would fail the 16 G test.

Wouldn't matter how many or how few rows of Y there were -- any nest of 5 fails the test.
Build them as a nest of 3 and a nest of 2 that just happens to be adjacent, without an aisle separating them? I'm back to the budget argument.
DenverBrian is offline  
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:17 am
  #444  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: LAX, MMH
Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
Posts: 418
Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I617/UCIB1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) UP.Link/6.3.1.20.0)

Originally Posted by ryan182
Originally Posted by Superguy
Not seeing an 747's going across in November ... all 763's or 777's even out of ORD too. Which is weird as I took the same trip this past fall and it wasn't hard to find a 763 as it is now. This time, there are a lot more 777's.

My main knock on old C is the laptop power is still Empower based, and I really don't want to have to buy an adapter just for this trip. You're right that either is still better than Y, although it was tolerable in E+ with an exit row.

Last seat in old C had a leg rest that wouldn't stay up. Fortunately, it was only on a short ICN-NRT flight.

Super
Do you know anyone you can borrow an empower adapter from? I sure wouldn't buy one today given it'll be completely useless in not too long.

Originally Posted by planemechanic
Which was just not possible due to the new 16G seat load criteria and the extra weight of the VOD. This was a large part of the delays in the program, so give them credit, they tried and tried hard. But it became clear that the rules of gravity were going to win that one.
Yes gravity is a tough thing to fight, IME it always wins
You can buy a dc-ac cigarette lighter style adapter that also works for empower for $30-$40 at frys electronics. Even if you dont use the empower it still can be of use
sammybk is offline  
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:17 am
  #445  
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,513
Originally Posted by StayUnited
I heard that yesterday and was quite (pleasantly) surprised.

Stress that it's only a possibility and could change at any time
That would make the most sense given fleet utilization and what the competition offers on those. There is a reason that the ORD-FRA routes will be last, IMO, and that is the C seats on LH.
Ari is offline  
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:26 am
  #446  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London & Sonoma CA
Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Posts: 10,262
Originally Posted by Ari
That would make the most sense given fleet utilization and what the competition offers on those. There is a reason that the ORD-FRA routes will be last, IMO, and that is the C seats on LH.
I would have thought that it would make more sense to put the new seats on routes where the other operator has a weak C. If UA wants to sell C seats for a C price, it will do so to people forced to use UA and people who choose to use UA over the other carrier on the route. It's going to be far easier to persuade people to use UA over a poor C product than it will be over BA, VS or the Asian carriers.

That said, as I understand it, UA and LH share revenues on TATL and therefore there's little point in UA or LH upgrading those routes as they dominate US/Germany travel.
lhrsfo is offline  
Old Mar 2, 2010, 8:41 am
  #447  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Build them as a nest of 3 and a nest of 2 that just happens to be adjacent, without an aisle separating them? I'm back to the budget argument.
This is just a theory, but...

Some observations I have made: There are 6 mounting rails that run the length of the 777. In the 2-5-2 configuration, the Rail-to-Seat Ratios were as such:

Rails:Seat
2:2
2:5
2:2

With the current 3-3-3, the ratio becomes thus:

Rails:Seat
2:3
2:3
2:3

You can see how such a distributed load on the rails becomes an attractive proposition from an engineering and stress POV.

Now, if you say that you want to make the center group of 5 a division of 2 and 3, where it becomes 2-3/2-2, the ratio becomes:

Rails:Seat
2:2
1:3
1:2
2:2

The 1 rail mounted to the 3 seats will not be able to meet the 16g requirement with the video equipment installed. Of course, this is all predicated upon the fact that my observations about the mount points are correct.

Last edited by johdhj; Mar 2, 2010 at 8:44 am Reason: Had to correct "fact" as being "theory".
johdhj is offline  
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:17 am
  #448  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: SNA
Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Posts: 25,228
Originally Posted by johdhj
Ah, so rumors of AVOD in economy have proven to be false! How bittersweet. But at least United is consistent across their international fleet.
No rumors have been proven true or false as of yet. UA is still officially silent.
flyinbob is offline  
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:25 am
  #449  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Posts: 52,234
Originally Posted by johdhj
But at least United is consistent across their international fleet.
Not at all. In the 767 (and apparently the 777), Y at least has PTV. That is not the case for the 747.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:33 am
  #450  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Not at all. In the 767 (and apparently the 777), Y at least has PTV. That is not the case for the 747.
I stand corrected
johdhj is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.