Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Old Feb 28, 2010, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by flyhighajw
3-3-3 in coach is far better than 2-5-2 esp if the plane is full and a single passenger is given the seat bang in the middle!
Rarely is the plane completely full. Even more rarely is a FTer going to be stuck in the middle. BUT, with 3-3-3, two passengers in each row have to climb over two people to get out, whereas with the current 2-5-2 it's only one passenger.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Grace B
Wow, another reason not to fly UA.
If 3-3-3 configuration is the reason not to fly UA, then you are running out airlines to fly.

Most of the major airlines around the world use the 3-3-3 configuration in Y. Check either Seatguru or Seatexpert and you will see who's who using 3-3-3 around the world.

I guess 744 in the 3-4-3 configuration is also out for you as well!

Only A340/A330 series or a token of airlines such as Air China's 777 ( 2-5-2) can satisfy you in long-hual economy.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:51 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
If 3-3-3 configuration is the reason not to fly UA, then you are running out airlines to fly.
I totally agree....if the 3-3-3 config is the big problem, then you can't obviously please everyone.
Would you rather have an old/worn out aircraft cabin, or new/modern seats, with VOD etc??

It's lucky you don't fly Emirates, as I'm sure you wouldn't be happy with their 3-4-3 configuration in Economy with their 777 fleet!!!

Even Delta, Continental, Singapore Airlines and BA have the 3-3-3 configuration with their 777's, just to name a few off the top of my head!!!
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Lovely. So I take it if I'm planning a TATL flight out of IAD in November, I'm pretty much looking at a 763 if I want new C or I'm SOL on a 777. Correct?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I guess this leaves you with two options... Either buy your own plane, or only fly on RJ's.

Originally Posted by pk1_efc
I totally agree....if the 3-3-3 config is the big problem, then you can't obviously please everyone.
Would you rather have an old/worn out aircraft cabin, or new/modern seats, with VOD etc??

It's lucky you don't fly Emirates, as I'm sure you wouldn't be happy with their 3-4-3 configuration in Economy with their 777 fleet!!!

Even Delta, Continental, Singapore Airlines and BA have the 3-3-3 configuration with their 777's, just to name a few off the top of my head!!!
+111

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

Most of the major airlines around the world use the 3-3-3 configuration in Y. Check either Seatguru or Seatexpert and you will see who's who using 3-3-3 around the world.

I guess 744 in the 3-4-3 configuration is also out for you as well!

Only A340/A330 series or a token of airlines such as Air China's 777 ( 2-5-2) can satisfy you in long-hual economy.
I guess they can buy their own plane, or fly only on RJs...

+111

Originally Posted by Superguy
Lovely. So I take it if I'm planning a TATL flight out of IAD in November, I'm pretty much looking at a 763 if I want new C or I'm SOL on a 777. Correct?
Yes, unless UA is flying a 744 to your destination, you will be on the 777... I don't think that you are SOL with the old C. It is still a better than being stuck in E+ for a TATL.. Obviously, I would prefer to be on the new C...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 1, 2010 at 1:44 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Yes, unless they UA is flying a 744 to your destination, you will be on the 777... I don't think that you are SOL with the old C. It is still a better than being stuck in E+ for a TATL.. Obviously, I would prefer to be on the new C...
Not seeing an 747's going across in November ... all 763's or 777's even out of ORD too. Which is weird as I took the same trip this past fall and it wasn't hard to find a 763 as it is now. This time, there are a lot more 777's.

My main knock on old C is the laptop power is still Empower based, and I really don't want to have to buy an adapter just for this trip. You're right that either is still better than Y, although it was tolerable in E+ with an exit row.

Last seat in old C had a leg rest that wouldn't stay up. Fortunately, it was only on a short ICN-NRT flight.

Super
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by hur88
They had to switch to 3-3-3 due to wiring issues for the conversion. Would you rather have 3-3-3 or no conversions at all?
False dilemma. I'd rather they think creatively and provide a technology upgrade while preserving a seating arrangement that most perfer (2-5-2).
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
False dilemma. I'd rather they think creatively and provide a technology upgrade while preserving a seating arrangement that most perfer (2-5-2).
this is UA. "think creatively"?

<couldn't resist>
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Which was just not possible due to the new 16G seat load criteria and the extra weight of the VOD. This was a large part of the delays in the program, so give them credit, they tried and tried hard. But it became clear that the rules of gravity were going to win that one.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
this is UA. "think creatively"?

<couldn't resist>
I said I'd rather they would. I didn't say they actually would.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Superguy
Not seeing an 747's going across in November ... all 763's or 777's even out of ORD too. Which is weird as I took the same trip this past fall and it wasn't hard to find a 763 as it is now. This time, there are a lot more 777's.

My main knock on old C is the laptop power is still Empower based, and I really don't want to have to buy an adapter just for this trip. You're right that either is still better than Y, although it was tolerable in E+ with an exit row.

Last seat in old C had a leg rest that wouldn't stay up. Fortunately, it was only on a short ICN-NRT flight.

Super
Do you know anyone you can borrow an empower adapter from? I sure wouldn't buy one today given it'll be completely useless in not too long.

Originally Posted by planemechanic
Which was just not possible due to the new 16G seat load criteria and the extra weight of the VOD. This was a large part of the delays in the program, so give them credit, they tried and tried hard. But it became clear that the rules of gravity were going to win that one.
Yes gravity is a tough thing to fight, IME it always wins
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
But it became clear that the rules of gravity were going to win that one.
Gravity. It's not just a good idea. It's the law.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
So are you going to switch to AA? DL/CO/UA/BA/SQ/NH amongst others all will have 3-3-3, EK has 3-4-3. I guess you could go with those airlines tha use A330/A340.

Good luck with your new airline
Old Mar 1, 2010, 4:55 pm

Buh bye.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it's truer to say that the rules of the budget probably won. Otherwise, you're saying that there is no possible 2-5-2 config of any kind that would work, and I can think of one possible right off the bat: Larger F and C cabins and a smaller Y cabin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.