Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Why don't UA just do herringbone seats on the 777? It makes so much more sense. Or, do Delta's/Swiss' new suites, or even do Continental's new business. The capacity for Continental's new business is about the same, but CO's new business have a width of 25+2" and they claim to have the widest lieflat business class seats in the industry!
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:56 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
I hope UA will reconsider the new design of the C cabin...
Too late for that now with the 777 prototype in the shop. The IPTE seats are complete in the 747s and 767s and it is not efficient to have a separate design for the 777. The C seat design requires that they come in pairs.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Why don't UA just do herringbone seats on the 777? It makes so much more sense. Or, do Delta's/Swiss' new suites, or even do Continental's new business. The capacity for Continental's new business is about the same, but CO's new business have a width of 25+2" and they claim to have the widest lieflat business class seats in the industry!
I couldn't agree more, but I'm afraid that train has left the station...or that plane has left the terminal.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA S
I doubt the CO is fitting the same number of 2/2/2 BF in the space space that UA is putting 2/4/2
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by whakojacko
I doubt the CO is fitting the same number of 2/2/2 BF in the space space that UA is putting 2/4/2
Correct, CO does not have a first class.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johdhj
Correct, CO does not have a first class.
Actually, CO is going to have 50 new BusinessFirst seats on the 777, more than UA. It's not 2-2-2, it's in between spacing like Delta and Swiss' new suites.

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...irst/seat.aspx

CO has already started flying some of these planes. I'm surprised neither of you knew about it.

Again, the seats are 25" wide and CO claims to be the widest Business seats in the industry. Capacity is about the same. @:-)
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Actually, CO is going to have 50 new BusinessFirst seats on the 777, more than UA. It's not 2-2-2, it's in between spacing like Delta and Swiss' new suites.

CO already has already started flying some of these planes. I'm surprised neither of you knew about it.
I like the concept of over-shoulder storage.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 17, 2010 at 2:24 pm Reason: photo
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I like the concept of over-shoulder storage.
But it looks like they suffer from the same "lack of lip" on the shelf and console that the new UA seats have. Every take off, every time, things go flying around the cabin.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, the premium cabins on both will have a similar number of seats: 50 vs. 48, but UA will feature 8 F suites - subject to final confirmatiion on layout by UA.

P.S. I give UA also credit for product consistency: same seat on all 3 a/c types flying overseas. Not sure, if CO will eventually offer the same

Last edited by cesco.g; Feb 17, 2010 at 2:42 pm Reason: P.S.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Again, the seats are 25" wide and CO claims to be the widest Business seats in the industry. Capacity is about the same. @:-)
CO is making a false claim. The SQ new biz seats are way wider at 30".
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA S

CO has already started flying some of these planes. I'm surprised neither of you knew about it.

Oh I know about those seats, but its not quite fair to claim capacity is the same when UA has F. If UA took out F, they could probably fit in 2 more rows of C, so 16 more...

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 17, 2010 at 9:14 pm
Old Feb 17, 2010, 3:00 pm

I'm well aware of CO's cabin arrangement ... Let me clarify my earlier statement:

CO does not have an international first class seat. They have a hybrid business / first class seat for the premium cabin.

UAL's international configuration has 4 classes of service (First, Business, E+, E) vs. CO's 2 class service, so it's not a surprise that CO managed to fit nearly as many business class seats in spite of the 2-2-2 configuration when compared to UAL's 2-4-2 configuration.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 17, 2010 at 9:14 pm
Old Feb 17, 2010, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh I know about those seats, but its not quite fair to claim capacity is the same when UA has F. If UA took out F, they could probably fit in 2 more rows of C, so 16 more...
Right, for a total of 56 C seats (assuming UA has no F). BUT, UA's business class goes all the way to the wing on the 777 while Continental doesn't. CO goes before the wing. So, if CO adds 1 more row, it will go to the wing, but will add another 4-6 seats across, which will be 56 vs 54-56, same capacity @:-) Note, the following is the OLD seatmaps, not the new, but you get an idea of where their C cabins go

I'm well aware of CO's cabin arrangement ... Let me clarify my earlier statement:

CO does not have an international first class seat. They have a hybrid business / first class seat for the premium cabin.

UAL's international configuration has 4 classes of service (First, Business, E+, E) vs. CO's 2 class service, so it's not a surprise that CO managed to fit nearly as many business class seats in spite of the 2-2-2 configuration when compared to UAL's 2-4-2 configuration.
Read my post above. The CO C seats take up about the same space as UA C seats. CO/DL/LX simply have better seat arrangements that take up less space while creating more shoulder room. Again, CO is more like (something like it)

X-X-...X-X-.....-X-X (slanted)
-X-X...-X-X....X-X- (slanted)

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 17, 2010 at 9:13 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 3:13 pm

Read my post above. The CO C seats take up about the same space as UA C seats. CO/DL/LX simply have better seat arrangements that take up less space while creating more shoulder room. Again, CO is not 2-2-2

It's more like (something like it)

X-...XXX...-X
-X...-X-X..X-
Hm. So... really, we're basically both saying that CO has about the same number of business class seats ...

BUT! I respectfully disagree with you on the layout. I still think it's 2-2-2, as shown in this photo:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2755/...c71443a9f0.jpg

Or if you want to see the full thing:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13261173-post232.html

Also, as an aside, your travel photos are very nice
Old Feb 17, 2010, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hm. So... really, we're basically both saying that CO has about the same number of business class seats ...

BUT! I respectfully disagree with you on the layout. I still think it's 2-2-2, as shown in this photo:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2755/...c71443a9f0.jpg

Or if you want to see the full thing:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13261173-post232.html

Also, as an aside, your travel photos are very nice
Thanks! Yea, I corrected it. My original seating arrangement single-double/triple-single is more for the Delta/Swiss suites. But the idea was that CO/DL/LX all utilize the space in between seats by either slanting the seats or make the flat beds go under the armrest of the seat in front.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.