Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2010, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Are any of these descriptions of the new interiors official from UA, or just unconfirmed posts? UA formal statements on the 777 refit have been few and far between.
There is nothing "official" from UA like a press release, but 5-6 different sources with access to internal UA info (including planemechanic and worldtrav here on ft) have all posted the same information on various message boards.

The information about configuration/IFE/etc. leaked out over a year ago and has remained relatively consistent. It is about as confirmed as it gets without an official UA press release.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Originally Posted by andrewwm
There is nothing "official" from UA like a press release, but 5-6 different sources with access to internal UA info (including planemechanic and worldtrav here on ft) have all posted the same information on various message boards.

The information about configuration/IFE/etc. leaked out over a year ago and has remained relatively consistent. It is about as confirmed as it gets without an official UA press release.
Agreed. This is one of the FT threads I follow extremely closely and we have seen a number of posters with a history of very reliable (sometimes inside) information confirm that the Y layout will be 3-3-3 and feature AVOD. It really does make sense since the 777 is expected to last much longer than the existing 747s and 767s. I suspect this is similar to the Y product we will eventually see on the 787 and A350.

Personally, I am quite excited and hope this will make the E+ product the best coach seat in the sky.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Originally Posted by nnn
New Y on a 777 sounds like it might be pretty decent. To me, the combination of nicer seats + AVOD + big screens (assuming all true) far outweighs any detriment from 3-3-3 seating.
As long as they keep 36" pitch in E+ and don't decide to jam them in like on the 747. Bulkhead space like current row 17 would also be nice -- again, way better than the 747's row 19.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 12:42 pm

777 to FRA in J next month. Faster please...
Old Feb 7, 2010, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
well going to PVG Jan 25th they had removed the 777 Asia Config plane to put on the Europe plane.... so we lose 6 C seats, on that flight for crew.
But the good news is the Asia planes must be the first going to the refub shop!^
Old Feb 7, 2010, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by why fly
well going to PVG Jan 25th they had removed the 777 Asia Config plane to put on the Europe plane.... so we lose 6 C seats, on that flight for crew.
^
The net loss is actually 2 seats not 6 as the XP has 45, therefore the difference is 43 C seats vs 45.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 1:33 am

Programs: United 1K
Routes

Hi,

This is my first post on the website.

I too am very curious about which route United will put the new 777 configuration on first.

I did a little research online and it appears the plane that has gone in for re-fit is often at LHR, SFO and LAX. I am assuming that it must fly these routes quite often, and could this be the first routes the new 777 config are going to be flying??

Any thoughts???
Old Feb 9, 2010, 1:43 am

Programs: MP 2P
Anyone know if 21j and 21h will be in the new config in some form or another...I'll be said to see those places go...however, maybe they'll be a new row that offers the equivalent...
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:28 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by dfreeman02
As long as they keep 36" pitch in E+ and don't decide to jam them in like on the 747. Bulkhead space like current row 17 would also be nice -- again, way better than the 747's row 19.
I might even sacrifice a little seat pitch (but not too much) if they do install upgraded Y seats that are more comfortable with better recline, etc.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:49 am

What are the chances SIN-NRT-IAD is refurbed by late June then???
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Anyone think we will ever see a seat map on the suite-dreams site for the 777? It still says "B777-200 seat maps coming Fall 2009"..
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by andrewwm

I'm left to wonder why no official info from UA? You would think they would be trumpeting these "improvements".
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
AVOD? Sliding cushions?

Yum. ^
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Originally Posted by pk1_efc
Hi,

This is my first post on the website.

I too am very curious about which route United will put the new 777 configuration on first.

I did a little research online and it appears the plane that has gone in for re-fit is often at LHR, SFO and LAX. I am assuming that it must fly these routes quite often, and could this be the first routes the new 777 config are going to be flying??

Any thoughts???
I don't think where the plane has been flying recently has any bearing on where it will go once refurbished. After all, they're still flying 777s on the LAX/SFO-LHR routes when this one is in the shop, so it's not like this one needs to go back there.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HGP Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by flyinbob
I'm left to wonder why no official info from UA? You would think they would be trumpeting these "improvements".
They'll have one 777 in service. If they actively market this with only the one aircraft in service, they will have customers clamoring for compensation due to the likelihood of flying on a 777 with old interior.

This happened to BA back in 2000 when the Club World lie flat seating was introduced and they only had it flying on about 7 of the 744's (56 744's + 30+ 777's in service at the time).

Typically an airline likes to have a certain percentage of the fleet repopulated with a new interior before marketing it. I'm not sure what UA's percentage would be but would assume it would be high (60%?). If so, then I wouldn't expect to see them actively marketing the product until next year (if at all depending on the amount of money UA has in their marketing budget).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.