Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Old Nov 28, 09, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TonyBurr View Post
I know it is an age old question: Anything new on the schedule for the reconfiguraiton of the 777's in F and C ? Any truth that they are having a problem fitting them in the hull? The UA website has no new info.

Thanks
Originally Posted by planemechanic View Post
Nope. The first one will be in February and will be done in SFO according to United.
Same as before.
Old Nov 28, 09, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Which route first?

I know that the conversion of the 777s will be in Feb 2010, but anybody know or speculate which route it will first be on? Will it be Europe or Asia?

Thanks.
Old Dec 1, 09, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by SFflyer123 View Post
I know that the conversion of the 777s will be in Feb 2010, but anybody know or speculate which route it will first be on? Will it be Europe or Asia?

Thanks.
For selfish reasons, I hope it will be Asia first.
Old Dec 1, 09, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
What's the ex-SFO route that has the most competition? That's where it will probably be.
Old Dec 1, 09, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
What's the ex-SFO route that has the most competition? That's where it will probably be.
I don't think they use that criterion. The 747s and 767s debuted to/from FRA, and there's no competition there. They'll probably debut on the shortest possible routes for shakedowns.
Old Dec 1, 09, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Marriott Prem Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I don't think they use that criterion. The 747s and 767s debuted to/from FRA, and there's no competition there. They'll probably debut on the shortest possible routes for shakedowns.
My guess would be the highest yielding routes still served by 777s. Or you may see the 777 switched onto a 767 route (think ORD-LHR) and the 767 moved to the next highest-yielding route.
Old Dec 1, 09, 6:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by andrewwm View Post
My guess would be the highest yielding routes still served by 777s. Or you may see the 777 switched onto a 767 route (think ORD-LHR) and the 767 moved to the next highest-yielding route.
I agree with your thinking. I love the new F/C seats and will do anything possible to be in them.

I think the biggest thing to think about is the fact that UA doesn't really have any extra widebodies. Utilization is pretty high, so the conversions will happen when aircraft placement is prime and can be turned around quickly.
Old Dec 2, 09, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by nevansm View Post
I agree with your thinking. I love the new F/C seats and will do anything possible to be in them.

I think the biggest thing to think about is the fact that UA doesn't really have any extra widebodies. Utilization is pretty high, so the conversions will happen when aircraft placement is prime and can be turned around quickly.
No they could sub a couple of 747 that are not being used
Old Dec 7, 09, 6:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador
777 New C rollout

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere.

Flying IAD-LHR in May and was wondering what the chances of the 777's being equipped with the new seats by then are or whether they will change aircraft.

Thanks

Dan
Old Dec 7, 09, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Chances are tiny. Not one 777 converted yet - due to start in Feb but who knows. If you have a choice go with the 767 flights - they are guaranteed the new C.
Old Dec 7, 09, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I wouldn't count on it. Fly via ORD for the extra miles and 767!
Old Dec 7, 09, 6:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
I wouldn't count on it. Fly via ORD for the extra miles and 767!
Just booked it as part of an LHR-TPA return on miles.

Virtually no seats available other than the one flight. Booked F out so no problem there and prefer the 777 as the two of us can sit together.
Old Dec 7, 09, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ivoryboi View Post
due to start in Feb.
of which year???
Old Dec 7, 09, 7:11 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
Rumor has it that UA is in the market for new wide-bodies and may hold off on converting the 777 until they make a decision as to which planes to buy and delivery dates. Rumor has it that some of the older 777s are going to rest and will not be converted. Rumor has it - on here .net and otherwise.
Old Dec 7, 09, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by santarosaflyer View Post
Rumor has it that UA is in the market for new wide-bodies and may hold off on converting the 777 until they make a decision as to which planes to buy and delivery dates. Rumor has it that some of the older 777s are going to rest and will not be converted. Rumor has it - on here .net and otherwise.
I've read the printed rumours also but wonder whether UA can last until any possible 787 orders actually get completed with an older business class product in their widebody fleet.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: