Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA shopping to replace some older jets!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
UA shopping to replace some older jets!

United Airlines has asked Boeing Co. and Airbus to propose dueling bids for up to 150 new airliners -- the latest example of major companies exploiting the recession to bargain-hunt.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1244...ml#mod=testMod

Wonder when we might see the new birds?!
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA S
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
United Airlines has asked Boeing Co. and Airbus to propose dueling bids for up to 150 new airliners -- the latest example of major companies exploiting the recession to bargain-hunt.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1244...ml#mod=testMod

Wonder when we might see the new birds?!
Very short article-they didnt mention what type of planes. I assume UA is interested in 787/A350s? Anyways, good to see them looking for new planes
Edit: you also might want to change the title. They havent ordered anything yet
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Welcome to the new United operated by Continental Airlines! I knew it would happen!
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Interesting news for sure, since I didn't expect UA to be considering new planes. Could we see the aging 757 and 767 fleets get replaced by the 783/788?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:21 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I hope this helps our EIP...
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:22 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Slight exaggeration in stating that jets have been ordered...this is a request for a proposal, not a firm order.

[Moderator note]: Thread title edited to show UA is shopping for, not ordering, new planes

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 4, 2009 at 8:27 am Reason: See above note re thread title edit.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:27 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
at 10B for up to 150 planes it would have to be a mix and match of AC. moving forward due to fuel economy UA needs to replace the 744s, they just use to much gas. Ditto the 763, and as noted the 752s are getting very old, but still servicable. If traffic volume picks up though UA will also need 737-9/319-21 AC as well.

My guess is that they replace the 744 and 757 first, but get a type of AC that they can also scale into slightly smaller with the same pilots (739/321).

Interesting to see. Who pays for the AC is my question, its not like UAs balance sheet is healthy. I guess though they have to buy something or fade away over time.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Ha ha. Google 'United Jet Order' and near the top is a NYT story from 1989.

(a Mod has now provided a correction to thread title)

Last edited by 3Cforme; Jun 4, 2009 at 9:14 am
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by fastair
Slight exaggeration in stating that jets have been ordered...this is a request for a proposal, not a firm order.
Not just a slight exaggeration -- it's a gross exaggeration. An attention-grabbing but misleading title.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Well fingers are certainly crossed that something comes of this. I would love UA to have some new birds to spread their wings.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, Motel 6 Tin
And Just How Will UAUA Raise The Money?

At today's closing stock price, UAUA would have to sell 1.9 billion shares to raise the money to pay for the planes, or saddle themselves with an additional $800 million to $1 billion a year in interest payments.

When pigs fly!
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by spin88
at 10B for up to 150 planes it would have to be a mix and match of AC. moving forward due to fuel economy UA needs to replace the 744s, they just use to much gas. Ditto the 763, and as noted the 752s are getting very old, but still servicable. If traffic volume picks up though UA will also need 737-9/319-21 AC as well.

My guess is that they replace the 744 and 757 first, but get a type of AC that they can also scale into slightly smaller with the same pilots (739/321).

Interesting to see. Who pays for the AC is my question, its not like UAs balance sheet is healthy. I guess though they have to buy something or fade away over time.
757s for sure. This article has more detail:

United, which has a total fleet of 400 jetliners, sent a formal request to Boeing and Airbus on Tuesday, people familiar with the matter said. The request focuses on replacing many of United's 111-airplane wide-body fleet, as well as some of its 97 aging Boeing 757 narrow-body planes, these people said.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by whakojacko
Very short article-they didnt mention what type of planes.
Did you by any chance read the entire WSJ article? I only get the first few lines and then I have to sign in, except I don't have an account/subscription with them.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
From the WSJ:

Unlike some of its largest domestic rivals, United already flies both Airbus and Boeing planes, giving both manufacturers an incentive to try to grab a bigger share of a major airline's business. As part of its order, United is hoping to simplify its fleet by ending up with fewer different types of aircraft, a change that would cut its maintenance and crew-training costs.
United could sign a major order as early as the fall, the people familiar with the matter said, if Boeing or Airbus agree to certain conditions. The most crucial would be financing arranged by the manufacturer that doesn't eat into United's cash, these people said. United also wants the flexibility to change the order later, according to these people.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:49 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
If no WSJ, use this link

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/stor...FREE&cm_ite=NA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.