Award Tickets Question

Old Jun 2, 09, 6:57 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by BrettMCA View Post
Is Japan considered the same region as SIN, though? On the award chart, a Japan Business class seat from North America costs 120,000 miles.... while a North/South Asia business class seat (would include SIN, I assume) costs 125,000 miles.
Japan is considered a separate region from North/South Asia.
Old Jun 2, 09, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, AF Sil, Bonvoy Tit (LTG), HH Dia
Originally Posted by BrettMCA View Post
Is Japan considered the same region as SIN, though? On the award chart, a Japan Business class seat from North America costs 120,000 miles.... while a North/South Asia business class seat (would include SIN, I assume) costs 125,000 miles.

Not relevant... he's going all the way to SIN on both tickets. All he pays is the change fee, unless he hits 1K in the meantime. I held several of these tickets at the end of last year for this exact reason.

Though I don't know why you'd want to change the JFK-NRT portion to an EWR-IAD-NRT routing... unless it's an availability issue.
Old Jun 2, 09, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ps9a View Post
Though I don't know why you'd want to change the JFK-NRT portion to an EWR-IAD-NRT routing... unless it's an availability issue.
Yes - its availability.

Thank you all for all your help.
Old Jun 2, 09, 8:44 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by fly2nrt View Post
Yes - its availability.

Thank you all for all your help.
I hope IAD-NRT is on NH metal.
Old Jun 3, 09, 6:28 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by solenita View Post
So, here is my dilema. I need to travel from CA to VA in august. I have 20,000 + miles, I need a little over 4,000 miles. I had intended to fly myself and kids back, but my oldest has school exspenses for the fall that I can't pay for and also pay to fly them back. So, now I am looking at trying to book the cheapest way possible for myself, and I got an email today saying the miles were reduced in price to .025 per miles. Looks like I can buy the remaining miles I need to purchase my ticket for under the cost of the ticket itself. I have never booked a reward ticket, so not sure how it works first of all, and if it is worth buying the miles to book the ticket or just buying the ticket outright and saving the miles for another trip. Not sure of the cost affiliated, if buying the miles and using them to book a ticket costs the same (fees for using miles for a ticket?), then I should probably just book my ticket outright and save the miles for another future trip. Checking all airlines in the area, flying United remains the cheapest and convienent, since I am at a small airport, and driving to a larger one takes time, gas and by the end of it, does make up for a small savings. So, it seems like a no brainer to me, to keep flying with United and banking my miles.
One thing you absolutely have to consider before you buy miles: will there be seats available for saver award booking? These seats are severely limited compared to the general inventory of purchasable seats. It sounds like you want to fly on the same flights/dates as your kids. But it's a big gamble to find award seat availability on specific flights - it's much easier if you are flexible with routes and dates. But even if you haven't bought the kids' tickets yet, it might be that award seats are just not available for the dates you need, or if they are, the paid tickets are much more expensive on that particular route than an alternative one.
Old Jun 3, 09, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kkjay77 View Post
I hope IAD-NRT is on NH metal.
Yes its on All Nippon and Singapore Air. No way I'm using United miles to fly United.
Old Jun 3, 09, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA MP, Southwest RR
Originally Posted by snic View Post
One thing you absolutely have to consider before you buy miles: will there be seats available for saver award booking? These seats are severely limited compared to the general inventory of purchasable seats. It sounds like you want to fly on the same flights/dates as your kids. But it's a big gamble to find award seat availability on specific flights - it's much easier if you are flexible with routes and dates. But even if you haven't bought the kids' tickets yet, it might be that award seats are just not available for the dates you need, or if they are, the paid tickets are much more expensive on that particular route than an alternative one.
I actually gave up on getting my kids back to VA this year, my oldest child has uniform fees of $240 for cheerleading and a $650 fee for her highschool for next year, so that taps the barrel. Now, I still have to go back for a court date. I have been watching the rates, and was holding out on purchasing to save the extra money to get them there, but now it is just not a possibility. When I got the email, I thought just buying the miles I needed may be the way to go to get a cheap flight. But, it is almost just worth paying for the ticket outright now and banking the miles to get a free flight next time.