Wiki Posts
Search

Adventures on UA895 [ORD-HKG]

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2009, 1:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
Does United now have to have hundreds of pilots just sitting at airports all around the country just in case there is a delay somewhere?
A few (a rolling hot backup capability) at the Int'l HQ hub wouldn't hurt. And/or even NRT. Or one hot backup A/C at the top 2-3 major hubs. Or simply getting the basics right, like better upkeep of their 747s.

When that flight departed, the crew was legal and if all had gone according to schedule, the folks would have made it to their destination.
with little/no margin.
Weather caused the delay, not the crew.
Actually, aircraft servicing caused it per the OP. Which is why I suggest other options could/should have been reviewed/employed at ORD itself.
Could you imagine the uproar and the griping here on FT, if United had announced "Sorry, but your flight to HKG is cancelled since the crew is legal now, but if they had to MAYBE divert 16 hours from now, they'd be illegal, so we're going to just leave you stranded here in ORD??
That gets back to that hot backup capability. And being a bit more proactive on aircraft servicing, particularly the 744. I've started booking away from them in favor of 777 routings, based on dispatch reliability. And this is coming from a UA fanboy.

Also, you'd think they'd let HKG-SIN fly if ORD-HKG (different AC) is running FIVE hours late. Why did they strand folks in HKG?

Last edited by uastarflyer; May 21, 2009 at 1:12 am
Old May 21, 2009, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
A few (a rolling hot backup capability) at the Int'l HQ hub wouldn't hurt. And/or even NRT. Or one hot backup A/C at the top 2-3 major hubs. Or simply getting the basics right, like better upkeep of their 747s.

with little/no margin. Actually, aircraft servicing caused it per the OP. Which is why I suggest other options could/should have been reviewed/employed at ORD itself.
That gets back to that hot backup capability. And being a bit more proactive on aircraft servicing, particularly the 744. I've started booking away from them in favor of 777 routings, based on dispatch reliability. And this is coming from a UA fanboy.

Also, you'd think they'd let HKG-SIN fly if ORD-HKG (different AC) is running FIVE hours late. Why did they strand folks in HKG?
Aircraft that are sitting around as spares make no money for the airline, they cost money, so you won't see planes sitting around as spares all day.

Better upkeep of planes, no argument from me. Tilton nickle and dimes you, he nickle and dimes maintenance as well. However, planes break and you can't preventive maintenance everything.

There are pilots on reserve that can be called out, but the quickest callout is 4 hours, and not on international trips. A reserve that is phone available is "on duty" by the FAA for crew rest issues. So calling out an international reserve for a long flight would essentially run into the same thing this flight did. On long haul flight, if there is a long weather or maintenance delay, there are possibilities of crew issues if there is a divert or further delays.

Can't answer your question on why the folks were stranded in HKG since I'm not invited to the WHQ "strategic planning" meetings.
Old May 21, 2009, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tough for ORD-HKG these days. Just keep in mind that the overall record of this flight is still much better than the SFO one.
Old May 21, 2009, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH SEN
895 is running 6 hrs late today...
Old May 21, 2009, 7:51 pm

Will they hold the follow-up tag to SIN this time?

EDIT: Yes!

http://www.ua2go.com/flifo/FlightSum...x=31&Check.y=0

Last edited by uastarflyer; May 21, 2009 at 7:57 pm
Old May 21, 2009, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
UA895 is 6 hours late today (5/21) with estimated arrival time in HKG at 10:50 PM on 5/22.

My friend is on the flight. He received an SWU, valid until 5/2010 as compensation.

He is a GS.
Old May 21, 2009, 8:49 pm

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
i was in HK on 5/20 and was taking 895 to SIN. The cancellation resulted in a 12hr delay as the next available flight was SQ001 from HKG-SIN, arrived yesterday at noon. What kind of compensation should i be looking at as i had a whole bunch of meetings scheduled the whole mornings and afternoons and had to move it all and had to get up early to catch the 8am flight too.. What a long day yesterday..
Old May 21, 2009, 11:38 pm

How did UA take care you w/r/t lodging and food in HKG?

Given the UGS above you got a SWU for a 6hr delay maybe a 1K gets the same for a 12 hour delay? Can't hurt to ask.
Old May 22, 2009, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
I'm flying 895 on Sunday. I'm prepared to be late and my work doesn't start until Wed in HKG.

I shouldn't have to pad my schedule by a whole day, but it seems I do.
Old May 22, 2009, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by dulcamara
I'm flying 895 on Sunday. I'm prepared to be late and my work doesn't start until Wed in HKG.

I shouldn't have to pad my schedule by a whole day, but it seems I do.
But probably a smart thing to do anytime you are traveling half way around the world for a business meeting, no matter what the carriers on-time record is.

-David
Old May 22, 2009, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
Originally Posted by kb1992
UA895 is 6 hours late today (5/21) with estimated arrival time in HKG at 10:50 PM on 5/22.

My friend is on the flight. He received an SWU, valid until 5/2010 as compensation.

He is a GS.
HKG-SIN has still not left yet and it's 2:12 in the morning... my sister's on it-- second time this has happened to her on this flight in as many weeks. Looks like Friday's (5/22) ORD-HKG is now scheduled for a 6pm departure as well.
Old May 22, 2009, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by kv99
HKG-SIN has still not left yet and it's 2:12 in the morning... my sister's on it-- second time this has happened to her on this flight in as many weeks. Looks like Friday's (5/22) ORD-HKG is now scheduled for a 6pm departure as well.
ual.com shows 2:15AM departure. Only another 3 minutes!

And with today's ORD-HKG 6 hours late it will happen again tomorrow in HKG-SIN. 5 straight days of mayhem. Simply pathetic.
Old May 22, 2009, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
This is nothing short of pathetic. I took 895 in January and we arrived 3 hours late, but the SFO plane was continuing on to HKG. However, due to "crew" issues we took a 3.5 hour delay and made it to SIN at 3.

The one consistent thing you can always expect from United is staff to drag their feet instead of hurry up to shave some time off a delay.
Old May 22, 2009, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
I am in HKG now having just arrived on 5/22 on UA869 from San Francisco, flight was a bit late and audio not working on the upper deck, but otherwise a fine flight. I am off to Singapore on Sunday night on UA 895, the only advantage I can see about any possible delay is that I will know hours ahead of time. In case HKG-SIN is truly delayed, can I get UA to rebook over to another carrier, and on a Sunday would I have to go to the airport to make that arrangement? Or call the 1K desk in the states?

Thanks!
Old May 22, 2009, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
Not looking much better today, either... I'm sitting here at the RCC near gate C16, and I can see a group of 4 mechanics working on one of the engines of the 747, on the tarmac, right after a 6-hour delayed pushback.... ouch!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.