Two nice things at Philadelphia

Old May 16, 2009, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
Two nice things at Philadelphia

Flew from PHL to ORD yesterday on UA563.

My first nice experience was in the RCC. I was surpriesed to see a real expresso cappucino machine sitting there. Hopefully this is the first of a trend replacing the instant coffee "cappucino machines" with real coffee and beans.

Then, sitting in first class, the flight attendants offered preflight drinks. They walked around with a tray of white and red wine. When my next seat neighbor ordered a screw driver and I ordered a bloody mary. When I asked the FA, she said it was because we are special

Of course, were delayed for about an hour for Chicago flow control, but at least we were "happy" in the delay.
Old May 16, 2009, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
^ to the crew! Your delay was only 25 minutes though.
Old May 16, 2009, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
PHL's RCC is a bit of a pit (facility wise) but the staff are great. I also think that the rest of UA's staff at PHL are, on average, better than most.

As to PDBs I've also had decent luck lately getting the bev of my choice rather than the standard OJ or water ^
Old May 16, 2009, 11:35 am

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Platinum
I agree, the RCC crew in Philly do a wonderful job. It's more intimate so I feel like they care more. Often times the bar tender will walk around asking if you would like a drink and then bring it to you. And more than once the agent at the front has preemptively switched me from a IAD to ORD or vice versa due to delays, without me even asking.
Old May 16, 2009, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I really like the RCC at PHL. The space, though small and a bit dated, is no worse than the majority of the others in the system. The staff is fantastic, and I have rarely found it crowded.
Old May 16, 2009, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
All of the staff at PHL are fantastic, and their RCC staff are the BEST anywhere!
Old May 16, 2009, 2:40 pm

Programs: nobody
I have to say the RCC staff was great in PHL RCC, the bartender always give me a double on a single drink chit. ^ Facility wise, it was a bit small and old.
Old May 16, 2009, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Starbucks Gold
The PHL RCC is indeed small but they can't really justify it being much bigger -- I have sometimes been the only one in there (although I am usually leaving PHL on Saturday afternoons). But the service has been great.
Old May 16, 2009, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PTSBrian
The PHL RCC is indeed small but they can't really justify it being much bigger -- I have sometimes been the only one in there (although I am usually leaving PHL on Saturday afternoons). But the service has been great.
Once in a great while I've seen it very crowded, but it's really only during irrops (think summer thunderstorms). Otherwise it's nice and peaceful.
Old May 16, 2009, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
and no one commented on a real expresso/cappucino machine. This is the first one that I've seen in a domestic UAL red carpet club.
Old May 16, 2009, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Am I the only one who thought "real expresso machine" was kind of an oxymoron?
Old May 16, 2009, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
Am I the only one who thought "real expresso machine" was kind of an oxymoron?
Nope.
Old May 16, 2009, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Jewel/Osco Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
All of the staff at PHL are fantastic, and their RCC staff are the BEST anywhere!
SOME of the staff are fantastic... I keep thinking about the matron who yelled at me for starting into my apple as headed to the gate. "All food must be consumed in the club, sir!" Same one months earlier didn't want to let me bring in my family because our oldest was 19 years old. I had to show her the rule that specifically states "dependent children" are part of the family. She finally relented unhappily, claiming that 18 was age limit.

(Rule states: Member guest limit for Clubs in the United States is two, or spouse and dependent children.)
Old May 16, 2009, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
PHL's RCC is a bit of a pit (facility wise) but the staff are great. I also think that the rest of UA's staff at PHL are, on average, better than most.
Agree. Staff has been great, IME.

Food lacking and bathrooms are poor, but no worse than JFK.

If the club ever closes, I get dibs on the Ben Franklin bust!
Old May 16, 2009, 10:57 pm

Programs: United 1MM
Originally Posted by CJ99
Nope.
Ditto that. A LOT of intl *A lounges have them. Change that: MOST *A intl lounges have them. They are just OK (then again, I'm spoiled by the anal coffee culture we have in Melbourne). Such a machine coffee would not be considered a "proper coffee".

Philly is quite good as far as US lounges go. I'm there at least two times a year as I have family in south Jersey. Truth is though: all domestic RCCs are rubbish compared to intl *A lounges. I should say though, that even at the best of places (FRA, SIN), the quality is going down a bit, particularly with SIN having a new *Gold lounge that doesn't have showers, no nice massage chair (as previously had), and less food choices.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.