Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

AA extends plat exec, plat & gold thru 2003 -UA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2001, 10:13 am
Original Poster

AA announced today that it is extending benefits for all levels thru feb 2003. Assume UA will match. Thoughts?
Old Sep 27, 2001, 10:17 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Here's the link to the AA thread...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum71/HTML/005790.html
Old Sep 27, 2001, 10:32 am
Suspended

Yikes. Speaking personally, I hope not. All the "1K lites" from 2000 SFH will be joined by those who qualified afresh in 2001 so there will be HEAPS of extra 1Ks at least. The figure I recall reading here for 2001 1Ks qualified was about 60,000. Lets add say roughly 20,000 folks who are not in there but who made it in 2001, and that gives you roughly TWICE the 40,000 number of 1Ks as was commonly believed existed 2 years back. AA did not have a SFH, so their elites this year were not swelled to historic record levels, at all Elite stages - as were Uniteds.

No way they'll dole out six SWU if they go with this I don't feel.

If they go this path upgrades for ALL elites will be tougher to get, as lots of current Elites that otherwise might have for whatever reason not re-qualified will be eligible for the 24-72 hour window to use 500 milers etc.

A smarter business move for UA might be to allow folks a "challenge" type deal for Q4 to get to your status if it appears you might otherwise not. Will fill a lot of seats, make a lot of revenue and give folks something to aim for. If I right NOW am 1K, and was close to Elite on another carrier, and read this (possible) new deal, why on earth would you need to now fly UA in Q4?

----------------------

[This message has been edited by avgas (edited 09-27-2001).]
Old Sep 27, 2001, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, I am hoping United doesn't go this route, but it's not totally unfair given the extreme circumstances, and I would support it if United follows suit.

Let's face it, the complete shutdown of air travel for several days, the sloooow process of getting things back up, the immediate fear factor that's keeping pax grounded and the reductions in many routes and frequency that have resulted, now make the "Summer From Hell" look like a walk in the park.
Old Sep 27, 2001, 10:45 am

UA will have to follow suit.
Press release from AA:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
AS A GESTURE OF THANKS, AMERICAN EXTENDS AADVANTAGE ELITE MEMBERSHIPS THROUGH FEBRUARY 2003

FORT WORTH, Texas – As a gesture of appreciation to its most loyal customers, American Airlines announced today that it is extending the elite-status memberships for AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum and AAdvantage Gold members through February 2003.

"During this most difficult time in our history, we are grateful for the support of our customers, and in particular those who travel with us most frequently," said Mike Gunn, American’s executive vice president - Marketing and Planning. "Extending the memberships of our elite AAdvantage members is a way of saying thank you for their friendship, and we hope we will have the opportunity to continue serving them."

Elite memberships are normally earned for a one-year period based on annual travel on American Airlines, American Eagle and select AAdvantage partner airlines. This extension applies to all memberships that would have expired in February 2002. Instead, these memberships are now valid through Feb. 28, 2003. The airline said it will be providing more details to members shortly and will continue to send new credentials to those who achieve a higher membership level by Dec. 31, 2001.

American urged its elite members to log onto its AA.com Web site and update their profiles so they can be assured of receiving periodic e-mail updates on schedules and travel procedures.
</font>
Actually, I think it makes sense and is much better that a reduced mileage offer ( IMHO they have learned from UA's SFH)

This does not increase the number of any elite customers, it just keeps it constant.

It's different from a "reduced mileage" offer which has the potential of swelling elite ranks.

Pretty good reasoning, IMHO.

Of course, I can see some people whining that they did not HAVE TO fly at all to acquire status for 2002. But under the currrent circumstances, I think it would be in poor taste.

[This message has been edited by Droneklax (edited 09-27-2001).]
Old Sep 27, 2001, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
My 2 1/2 cents are as follows - If the "comped" extra elites aren't flying that much, it won't materially affect those of us that are to a great degree. That said, this calendar year I have sat in the back of the bus more than ever before as a 1K (which was only about 4 or 5 segments).
Old Sep 27, 2001, 10:52 am

Gotta add my vote here.

I am against the dilution of the elite ranks.

The whole point of the elite programs is to reward a person for seat time in the air.

To paraphrase Johnny Cochran...If you don't spend time in the seat, then you are not elite.

I did my 100k last year in spite of the SFH. I have done 130k so far this year and will do at least 40K more. I do not want to continue to compete until Mar 03 for upgrades with someone who did 84K last year and 20K this year.

The airlines were shut down 4 days. They are flying now. Seats are available. If you want to be elite, get in the seat!
Old Sep 27, 2001, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Great. I can't imagine that United won't match this offer.

I'm sitting right now at about 35K Q-miles for the year. I'm irritated that I just spent $700 on a non-refundable ORD-SIN mileage run ticket (booked 9/5/01, running in November) to retain my status "the old fashioned way".

Unless UA comes up with a different deal, I guess I'll get to pay them another $100 and move it to January.

Oh well, the price of being a mileage runner, right?

Sean

[This message has been edited by skofarrell (edited 09-27-2001).]
Old Sep 27, 2001, 11:11 am

Programs: 40 46'N 73 57'W; AA Gold; CO Silver
The dilution argument is moot. No one is flying anyway. Recovery of traffic levels to normal (which was still below what the airlines need to be profitable) will take 1 year based on prior incidents and probably longer.
Old Sep 27, 2001, 11:14 am

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 100K:
The dilution argument is moot. No one is flying anyway. Recovery of traffic levels to normal (which was still below what the airlines need to be profitable) will take 1 year based on prior incidents and probably longer.</font>
I agree 100%.. most of the 1Ks from one year go on to the next... if anything it will keep them loyal.... We will see.. but as people have mentioned.. no one is really flying.

BTW the link is http://www.amrcorp.com/elite.htm

[This message has been edited by LAX 1K (edited 09-27-2001).]
Old Sep 27, 2001, 11:15 am

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
I also hope that UA does not do this, as it massively devalues and changes the program, IMHO. If every time there is a problem and they change the rules, then in the future, when other problems or irregularities arise, many will expect further concessions, and change their flying patterns according to those expectations.

That being said, if UA does go this route, I would expect, at the absolute minimum, that they would offer additional goodies (as they did last year) to those that did requalify during the present year.
Old Sep 27, 2001, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, I hope United comes up with a more imaginative approach, but why I don't think it's totally unfair this time:

The total shutdown was not the airline's fault, but as they have come back up and made a business decision to make drastic cuts in routes and frequency, I think it would not be unwise to give current loyal customers an extended status level, in hopes that things will be more-or-less back to normal by January.

I mean, it's not the loyal customer's fault that they can no longer fly the LAX-HKG route on United that was needed to stay at their current level.

Hopefully, next year it would be back. And retaining status would be back to normal, as well.

Extrodinary measures for extrodinary times.

If United does follow suit, I can see it now: Ladies and Gentlemen, here we go with the great debate over what "Grandfathered" members should get vs. the "extras" that those that got there the hard way should get.

Remember last year's Mileage Plus "Lite" debates?

But as seawolf points out in a related thread in MilesBuzz...it's seems somewhat strange with the logic at play with AA's timing of this announcement. Wouldn't this actually discourage some customers from flying? I mean, if you knew you were "in" for another year, might you not try so hard?

And FYI, the last time United grandfathered status (yes, they have done this before...due to a prolonged strike) they did just that. They waited until the end of the year to announce it so as not to inadvertantly discourage travel. Yes, some members might have been upset that they "stretched" when it turned out they didn't have to. But it's no different than finding out the price of something has gone down a week after you bought it, IMHO.

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 09-27-2001).]
Old Sep 27, 2001, 11:38 am
In Memoriam, Original Member

I for one would be not be happy if UA did followed AA steps. I agree with Mark that there needs to be "Extrodinary measures for extrodinary times" but IMHO this is not the answer.
Old Sep 27, 2001, 11:39 am
In Memoriam, Original Member

In all fairness though I am happy AA did it because I would not have re-qualified for Platinum this year anyway and now I won't even bother trying.
Old Sep 27, 2001, 12:00 pm

I also think the airlines are trying to appease a growing sentiment amongst frequent flyers that the recents cuts go too far, and were long in the making.

I mean, AA announced they were closing all CTOs west of the Mississipi. I was at the Beverly Hills CTO, as they were closing permamently yesterday and I felt like crying with these people. Some of them had worked with the company for 26years, and were laid off without so much as their accumulated sick leave or 2 weeks pay. A customer had brought them chocolates, the Delta people came by, it was really a sad, sad time. People were crying. News 13 was there as well. It make me really angry that such decisions were taken so fast and in such a cavalier manner.

So, I think AA is also trying to prevent their loyal customers from getting angry. Now if you need any help with a AA ticket, you need to go to the airport, that you cannot reach without having a ticket in the first place!!!! This NONSENSE has to stop!! How long before UA customers have to face the same things? Incidentally, the CTO staff in at the Beverly Hilton is getting very worried.

[This message has been edited by Droneklax (edited 09-27-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.