Wiki Posts
Search

November Schedule Change Information

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2001, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold
November Schedule Change Information

The November schedule change is so large (the largest that UA has ever loaded into Apollo) that it will be done in four phases beginning 13 October and continuing the week of 15 October.

UA is informing reservation agents to ask customers to call back after 20 October for the changes, and will also contact customers regarding the changes.
Old Oct 9, 2001, 10:33 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Thanks for the heads-up basenji..
Any idea how what kind of big changes are being made?
Old Oct 9, 2001, 10:52 am
DCW

Hope they bring back HKG-LAX direct.
Old Oct 9, 2001, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tfung:
Thanks for the heads-up basenji..
Any idea how what kind of big changes are being made?
</font>
Pretty significant. I expect some of the bank-times at the major hubs to be adjusted, many frequencies dropped in markets with hourly service and a few more domestic nonstop routes to be cut.

Other than that I really don't know what it is going to look like. I'll be very curious to see how the shuttle routes end up....
Old Oct 9, 2001, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks again for the heads up!
Old Oct 9, 2001, 3:40 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle

Thanks for the info, basenji.

Any word or your status in UA, I (along with many others here) hope you continue to have your job. Do let us know.
Old Oct 10, 2001, 2:12 am

basenji, thanks for the heads up. one question, any word on resumption of hnl-ord nonstop?
Old Oct 10, 2001, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the update, Basenj, as always very informative.
I am most curious about transatlantic service of course.
Talked last week to the staff at FRA. So far the word is, that the current 5 flights stay (FRA-IAD and FRA-ORD twice each and FRA-SFO).
The morning 744 departure - UA #945 FRA-ORD - with its light loads (due to very limited feeder traffic) might be converted to a B-777.
Sofar MUC-IAD and DUS-ORD also keep going.
Old Oct 11, 2001, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

From tomorrow's newsreal....

----------------------------------------------------
United Makes Massive Number of Changes to November, December Flight Schedules
----------------------------------------------------
United this month is loading into Apollo a flight schedule for November and December that represents the largest schedule change the company has ever implemented. The dramatic change is the result of a major shift in customer demand and airport operations caused by the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Since the attacks, demand for air travel has declined overall by 20 percent.

As a result of that fall in demand, early retirement of Boeing 727s and 737-200s, the phase-out of United Shuttle flying and new security measures that require longer ground times, United is completely rebuilding its November and December flight schedules. The new flight schedules will apply to flights from Oct. 31 through Jan. 7, 2002.

"Condensing its flying day by reducing the number of flights before 7 a.m. and after 7 p.m., United is focusing on the peak hours when business and leisure travelers want to fly," says Marty St. George, director-Network Planning. "The company also is decreasing flight frequencies in some markets or replacing mainline flying with regional jets to better utilize its aircraft and match service to reduced passenger demand. It's rare to do a schedule change of this size so close to the beginning of the new schedule, but the serious economic environment we're facing led us to this decision."

The end-of-year schedule changes will affect 90 percent of United's passenger name records (PNRs), requiring the company to contact 2.8 million customers regarding November travel and 2.4 million customers regarding December travel.

"Because an unprecedented number of calls need to be made and United's Reservations offices already are working feverishly to handle new reservations, we will use all possible means to get word of the changes out to customers," says Tony Bedalov, director-Reservations Sales and Operations Planning. "We will send notification through the mail, ask account executives to contact their clients and make use of manager communications."

United NewVentures also is working on changes to united.com that will allow customers to view and accept changes to the PNRs.

Ordinarily, Scheduling has six months to build a schedule. The department built this new schedule in a matter of weeks. Due to the extensive workload and short timeline, the department will load an initial schedule on Saturday, Oct. 13, followed by updates on Oct. 16 and Oct. 18. The final schedule will be open for sale on Oct. 20. The updates could cause more than one change to a customer's reservation.

As a result, Reservations and Sales employees will advise customers to be proactive about checking on the status of their flights.

Some additional notes -

International
I believe some of the International routes have already been through a schedule change, as the JFK-EZE and JFK-GRU nonstops are gone for November and to mid-December. I haven't the time to check some of the other international routes, but basically if it was cut in October it is still cut.....no additional reductions except maybe seasonal reductions in frequency.

Former shuttle routes
The shuttle routes that remain (which is the vast majority of them) look very similar, mostly with shuttle 737's but also with the oddball 757 or 320 thrown in.

Shuttle aircraft
Expect shuttle aircraft in mainline markets....I don't think you will be seeing the ex-shuttle aircraft flying longer hauls like SMF-ORD or DEN-PHL except in aircraft substitution situations. no word yet how the inflight service is going to be modified but without a beverage cart I anticipate running drinks and snacks ala shuttle.

Meals
No word on meal service cuts. Frankly unless it is mandated by the FAA I doubt long haul domestic flights will suffer meal cuts, but that is speculation on my part. Keep your fingers crossed - meal service is job security for flight attendants as it generally takes more than the FAA minimum to accomplish the service.

Hub bank times
The bank times at the hubs are changing significantly at ORD and DEN. For example, the 6pm westbound bank from DEN will now be a 5pm bank. Further, there will be reductions in what used to run after 8pm out of the hubs.

The schedule, when loaded, will speak for itself. If I get any additional info regarding inflight service, shuttle aircraft reconfiguration (adding E+) etc. I'll get it here as soon as possible.

[This message has been edited by basenji (edited 10-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by basenji (edited 10-11-2001).]
Old Oct 11, 2001, 10:05 pm

Thanks for the info...
Old Oct 11, 2001, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Superb info as always basenji. Many thanks.
Old Oct 11, 2001, 10:22 pm

Another round of great service from Basenji, thank you again.
Old Oct 11, 2001, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can bet your corkscrew that I'm going to be proactive!!

I have that sinking feeling that because of the times and markets I'm flying for the balance of the year, that I'm going to be spending a huge amount of time on the phone rescheduling about 40 flights!

Thanks to basenji's advance notification, at least I'll have a better than average shot at snagging upgraded seats on whatever flights I have to switch to, by perhaps "beating the crowd."

Knowledge is power!

Thank You!
Old Oct 12, 2001, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge VintageŽ) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Basenji, As usual, thanks for all the helpful information. Per your instructions, my fingers are crossed for the meal services.

Hub Bank Times

Could someone explain this to me? Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 12, 2001, 6:06 am
fparker1

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by basenji:
Condensing its flying day by reducing the number of flights before 7 a.m. and after 7 p.m., United is focusing on the peak hours when business and leisure travelers want to fly</font>
i guess my wanting to spend as much time at home as possible makes me not fit this model. now i have to leave earlier on sunday and my late thurdsay flight will be replaced by a friday morning flight home

------------------
f

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.