Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SYD-MEL-SYD Meal Service

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2009, 3:22 pm

Programs: QF WP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Europcar Privilege Elite, Velocity Platinum
Originally Posted by kevinsac
The same way LH does in C on the 40-45 min flight FRA to HAM or the 30-min flight FRA to MUC. Sometimes just a cold snack platter with a sandwich, some veggies and fruit, and a dessert, and sometimes a warm snack platter (last winter, on an evening flight, departing about 6:45 pm).
Except QF provides a hot meal to every passenger, plus a choice of two meals, choice of wine, and hot bread rolls if you're in J

They start the service as soon as the climb to cruise is completed and finish collecting just before the descent starts.
Old May 5, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
Honestly....
After eating all the good food in the NZ lounge, whether it be in MEL or SYD, I couldn`t care less about servings between those cities. I`m so full that I just need to open a button anyways
Old May 5, 2009, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by N334AA
It's actually about 100 miles longer than LAX-SFO IIRC. A cold meal should definitely be doable, just unwrap and serve with a drink. Since UA cannot compete for local traffic between MEl/SYD/MEL, they have little incentive anymore to match QF.
Doable perhaps. But a meal? Seriously? I've taken cab rides longer than that flight. A drink or a bag of nuts maybe. But a meal? Demands are getting a bit out of hand, don't you think?
Old May 5, 2009, 5:06 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
I did F on that route a year ago.. and I don't recall them serving anything.
Old May 5, 2009, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VX Elevate, UA 2P, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Doable perhaps. But a meal? Seriously? I've taken cab rides longer than that flight. A drink or a bag of nuts maybe. But a meal? Demands are getting a bit out of hand, don't you think?
I don't think demands are getting out of hand. US carriers just have a different service standard. Fly the same route on QF in J and heck maybe even Y and I'm sure you will get more than a pretzel bag. Same type of situation in Europe.
Old May 5, 2009, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by N334AA
I don't think demands are getting out of hand. US carriers just have a different service standard. Fly the same route on QF in J and heck maybe even Y and I'm sure you will get more than a pretzel bag. Same type of situation in Europe.
I agree - I've had some good meals in Y from ZRH-AMS (LX) and FRA-BRU (LH) just to name a few...they should be able to do it easily on MEL-SYD.

I do love the short flight in the 744 however, and the only time I took SYD-MEL on UA, it was with free alcohol...welcome to Oz

-jeremy
Old May 6, 2009, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by qasr
The NZ lounge in SYD has some nice food offerings. Much more than you would expect from an RCC.
Or IFL.
Old May 6, 2009, 6:26 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyinbob
It's about a 45 minute flight, like LAX-SFO. How do they serve meals, and who would expect one?
I think you will find its closer to the 1 hr mark and on one leg (cant recall which) its actually 1.20min flight last time I did it with QF (but that was a few years ago now) . Maybe they have sped up!
Old May 6, 2009, 6:28 am
Formerly known as aep

Programs: Nothing special in many programs
A few weeks ago QF SYD-MEL the meal was a chicken salad sandwich served with a 6-ounce can of SOLO (or Coke or whatever)...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.