Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Everything you wanted to know about CR1 - Regional Upgrades

Everything you wanted to know about CR1 - Regional Upgrades

Old Jul 20, 2009, 8:16 pm

Programs: Mlife Plat,Total Rewards Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz 5*, Avis Presidents C
Look at the F, A, and P buckets to see how full things look up there. Just in case some huge rich family booked paid tickets in F or something. But like the others said, chances are you'll clear. I'd say chances are you'll see it's F9, A9, P9
Old Jul 20, 2009, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Thanks for the suggestions. I know the chances are good and all that, but I don't want to chance it. So, I want to play it safe. I'm just curious if its easy to have the agent not pull the 500 miler. I guess I can always call MP later.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I know the chances are good and all that, but I don't want to chance it.
I think you're being smart. I've missed as a 1K on "leisure" routes before.

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I'm just curious if its easy to have the agent not pull the 500 miler. I guess I can always call MP later.
It's usually easier to deal with it later.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:23 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
I hope my Q isn't so silly...

why not fly direct LAX to HNL?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by Phil Level
why not fly direct LAX to HNL?
Miles? Still new to FT, aren't you
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:11 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
Unless you have a lot of 500 milers, I would not waste on LAX-SFO. As a 1K you can reserve an exit row seat and then use a drink chit. If you upgrade clears SFO-HNL, I would call the 1K desk and ask them to extend to the LAX-SFO portion. If there are seats available, the usually say yes.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by todorovic
Miles? Still new to FT, aren't you
Yup, looks like you have about 2 years on me. I fly mostly LAX <-> JFK and some LAX <-> SFO. I use a single 500 mile cert for the SFO trips, and a combination of CR1s and 500 milers for the JFK trips. Been upgraded every leg so far this year.

Been thinking about a trip to Hawaii. Is there a problem getting upgrades on LAX to HNL? I have small children, so non-stop is a huge plus.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:16 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Phil Level
Yup, looks like you have about 2 years on me. I fly mostly LAX <-> JFK and some LAX <-> SFO. I use a single 500 mile cert for the SFO trips, and a combination of CR1s and 500 milers for the JFK trips. Been upgraded every leg so far this year.

Been thinking about a trip to Hawaii. Is there a problem getting upgrades on LAX to HNL? I have small children, so non-stop is a huge plus.
I believe that LAX-HNL is generally easier for upgrades.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 1:51 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, UA 1P, Starwood Gold, Fairmont Plat, HHonors Diamond, Amex Plat
Just had my upgrade OGG-SFO processed this morning after I saw NF9 and called 1P line. I didn't request upgrade for SFO-LAX as Row 6 looks better on the A319 than F does.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 10:41 pm

I recently flew an A319 LAX <-> SFO and back. F has not much more legroom than Y, but only 2 seats wide, while Y is 3 seats.

If the flight runs on time, it really makes little difference to me, however, from time to time, the fog, or other weather rolls into SFO (and sometimes LAX) and I have sat on the ground for an hour plus, doubling the time actually BIS. That's when I'm glad I used the 500 mile cert for the UG.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AA Plat; B6 Mosaic; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by CPMaverick

Why doesn't the CR1 show up in the upgrade drop-down list?

United.com has a bug that prevents a CR1 being used in some cases. You must call and use your upgrade.

keywords: CR-1, CR-1s, CR1s CR1 Confirmed Regional Upgrade Mileage Plus
I'm a premier exec who got a few CR-1s from MPD429, and my multi-city itinerary won't allow me to upgrade any legs online.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
long time problem as CPMaverick mentions
Do using the phone automated system or ask for an agent's help.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ited-bomb.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...p-website.html
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by goldstj2
I'm a premier exec who got a few CR-1s from MPD429, and my multi-city itinerary won't allow me to upgrade any legs online.
How soon after your flight did the cr-1 post?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
[COLOR="red"][U]If you get e500s in a quarter, you WILL receive CR1s that quarter.
I would edit to read "for that quarter" (as written it could also be interpreted as "in that quarter"). If your e500s post on the last Saturday in March, you will get Q1 CR1s on the second Saturday in April. (At least as I understand it...not that I've ever gotten any CR1s )

On a related note, how are quarters measured for CR1-posting purposes? To get Q1 CR1s, do the 10K BIS have to be flown between Jan 1 and Mar 31, or do you actually have to have e500s post between Jan 1 and Mar 31, or is there a completely different set of dates?

I vaguely remember reading something about this in another thread, and it would be good to have the info here.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by dfreeman02
On a related note, how are quarters measured for CR1-posting purposes? To get Q1 CR1s, do the 10K BIS have to be flown between Jan 1 and Mar 31, or do you actually have to have e500s post between Jan 1 and Mar 31, or is there a completely different set of dates?
Quarters are measured by calendar (Jan 1 - Mar 31, etc.). For the second question, the published criterion is flying 10K BIS during the quarter; in actuality, you must simply have e500s post during that quarter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.