Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are meals served on a CA to Hawaii flight?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2009, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Are meals served on a CA to Hawaii flight?

Didn't want to jack that Mai Tai thread. I can't even recall the last time I had an airline meal (I always liked em). Too many short leg flights.

On a SFO-OGG (or LAX/SFO to either HNL or OGG), do you get a meal? Is it free or is it a separate charge? What do you get?

Our first flight out is 35 at 9:42am.

Return flight is 34 at 1:20pm.

Thanks. Very curious.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 7:09 pm
Original Member

You get the opportunity to purchase food from United. There will be the fresh food option...

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51284,00.html

in addition to snack boxes....

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51257,00.html

What is available as the fresh choice varies.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
In Economy, no; Hawaii is still domestic and there are no meals served in Economy on domestic routes. Snack boxes and fresh items (sandwiches, salads) should be available for purchase, however.

In First, there would be a meal or snack, depending on the time of day.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 7:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cepheid
In First, there would be a meal or snack, depending on the time of day.
And to boil that down even further... The only flights without breakfast lunch or dinner meals in first on the Hawaii routes are the redeye flights departing from Hawaii. They have snacks which is the fruit & cheese plate or some other snack.

Last edited by Ripper3785; Apr 29, 2009 at 11:38 pm Reason: Unintentionally posted incomplete information
Old Apr 29, 2009, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Dont the red eye flight from Hawaii have snacks in F?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
And to boil that down even further... The only flights without meals in first on the Hawaii routes are the redeye flights departing from Hawaii.
As well as OGG-KOA, I would imagine.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

And to boil that down even further... The only flights without meals in first on the Hawaii routes are the redeye flights departing from Hawaii.
Wow, that's harsh! Not even in first?
Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA BA SW SPG
Economy is Food for Purchase, boxes (yuk, too much sodium) and fresh (not too bad)
Business and First have meals (sandwiches, etc.)

While the fresh isn't terrible you might want to buy at the airport and take it along. We flew E+ and brought sandwiches and Top Raman (sp?) in cups for the kids. Always good to have something with you.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Benny8444
Dont the red eye flight from Hawaii have snacks in F?
I had chicken Caeser salad on my red-eye flight in F last month from Hawai'i.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FlyMan
I had chicken Caeser salad on my red-eye flight in F last month from Hawai'i.
I believe our choice HNL-DEN was a chicken caesar or a sandwich. We were also served the fruit meat and cheese for breakfast.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:08 pm

Sigh - HI meal service has nosedived since last year. I always have to pause and lament about it.

And, my favorite UA maneuver, no food in Y if you happen to fly UA 1 - ORD - HNL. Longer than most East Coast - Europe flights (IAD - AMS, for example).
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA platinum, HA platinum, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG
Chicken or pasta on recent LAX to HNL flight in first

We left LAX at 5:02 pm and had these choices. The chicken was okay; much better quality than when the food contractor changed (maybe those complaints had an effect). The fresh salad was a decent size and the black forest cake was edible. Had better roll selection on a flight in January, but it was the standard roll.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Not quite.

You will have a snack choice. In March on a HNL-LAX redeye I was offered either a cold chicken breast with veggies or a deli/fruit plate, both served with warm nuts.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Not quite.

You will have a snack choice. In March on a HNL-LAX redeye I was offered either a cold chicken breast with veggies or a deli/fruit plate, both served with warm nuts.
I totally boogered my post and meant to say that the redeye flights have fruit & cheese plate or another type of snack. While all the rest of the flights have meals. My intent was to point out that all west bound flights have breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 2:33 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by stravels
We left LAX at 5:02 pm and had these choices. The chicken was okay; much better quality than when the food contractor changed (maybe those complaints had an effect). The fresh salad was a decent size and the black forest cake was edible. Had better roll selection on a flight in January, but it was the standard roll.
These were exactly the choices this week KOA-SFO and SFO-KOA. One, though, was a lunch flight and one was a dinner flight. The weird thing, to me, is that the lunch flight had a pre-landing offering of a chocolate chip cookie and milk, while the dinner flight didn't. I would have thought it would have been the other way around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.