FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Mai Tais Return to United's Hawai`i Flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/948909-mai-tais-return-uniteds-hawai-i-flights.html)

badger2 Feb 2, 2009 12:28 am

Mai Tais Return to United's Hawai`i Flights

Took UA 84 from SFO to HNL yesterday. Seated in the front. When I asked for a mai tai (to see what would happen) the FA fell all over herself to apologize. Called it a bad decision and said they would be back in March "because so many people complained". During the flight she apologized at least two more times and also apologized for the "fake" Baileys" from Starbucks they now pass off on us. This flight crew was great, as have been most of the HNL-based crews of late. They really seem to care. This crew even knew my name when I went to the galley, and not by reading it off the manifest. As we got to the gate the FA brought my seat mate a full bottle of red wine. She said he was the only one who was drinking it and since it had just been opened she thought he would like to take it with him. All of us sitting around him were very impressed.

Ripper3785 Feb 2, 2009 12:46 am

Originally Posted by dcutcher (Post 11135929)
My (ex-Western then Delta) lady friend told me the tale of nipping out to a landside bookstore to buy a replacement copy of a book apparently lost in-flight while other FAs stalled the pax.

Freudian slip, or was the landside bookstore very cold?

UA 74 1/30 HNL-SFO only 1 bottle of sparkling wine boarded

FA was discussing her fake maitai to the pax behind me and made her one. I asked for one also. Not great, but a nice effort.

UA 83 1/31 LAX-HNL Multiple bottles of sparkling wine.

Fredd Feb 20, 2009 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by badger2 (Post 11184403)
Took UA 84 from SFO to HNL yesterday. Seated in the front. When I asked for a mai tai (to see what would happen) the FA fell all over herself to apologize. Called it a bad decision and said they would be back in March "because so many people complained"...

I'm happy to confirm Mrs. Fredd and I enjoyed a couple of Mai Tais yesterday SFO-HNL - picture here on our travel blog. A great purser, friendly crew, and Channel 9 on, so we even didn't mind again losing the Halfway-to-Hawaii contest. :)

mauiUAflyer Feb 20, 2009 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Fredd (Post 11294136)
I'm happy to confirm Mrs. Fredd and I enjoyed a couple of Mai Tais yesterday SFO-HNL - picture here on our travel blog. A great purser, friendly crew, and Channel 9 on, so we even didn't mind again losing the Halfway-to-Hawaii contest. :)

^I'm flying back home tomorrow, so I'll see if I can get one after breakfast(:eek:).

fadeforward Feb 20, 2009 3:34 pm

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Got a flight next week (still waitlisted, but I'll clear). You totally made my weekend!

SEA1K4EVR Feb 20, 2009 3:40 pm

Great news! From the picture it looks like it's made with dark rum... are they still using Myers?

SeoulGold Feb 20, 2009 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by dcutcher (Post 11135929)
My (ex-Western then Delta) lady friend told me the tale of nipping out to a landside bookstore to buy a replacement copy of a book apparently lost in-flight while other FAs stalled the pax. claiming the loss on deplaning.

Originally Posted by Ripper3785 (Post 11184440)
Freudian slip, or was the landside bookstore very cold?

Nipping out, as in dashing out quickly.^

Perhaps the British side of English?:D

Fredd Feb 20, 2009 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR (Post 11294381)
Great news! From the picture it looks like it's made with dark rum... are they still using Myers?

Some light and some dark - a very generous pour using the mini-bottles but I didn't notice the brand of the liquor or of the mix. Quite tasty result though. ;)

Oh, as mentioned in our blog the sparkling wine is back too.

Ripper3785 Feb 20, 2009 4:33 pm

When I had an FA make the 'fake Mai Tai' last month she commented that she had to use another dark liquer because they don't cater a dark rum anymore. Hmm.

Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant Feb 20, 2009 5:14 pm

***I'm not a drinker but highly valued flying SFO or LAX to HNL or OGG for the Trader Vic's meals... always made it fun. Everything about going to Hawai'i should be fun, darnit. Even if it's on business (which it was) everyone back at the office *thinks* you're goofing off, so you might as well live it.

I [friggin' burned good miles] upgraded to F on flying HNL a couple months ago and... yeah. Should have hit Burger King in the airport for a carry on bag. Nothing worth a darn foodwise.

So, grumblings aside, Fredd, other than the booze, what was on the menu for chow?

TDM

Fredd Feb 20, 2009 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant (Post 11294807)
So, grumblings aside, Fredd, other than the booze, what was on the menu for chow?

The choice was between a macademia-nut crusted chicken and a cheese tortellini with a white sauce decorated with a thin line of red sauce.

The purser also offered us the option of a fresh salad from Y if we didn't like either choice. Mrs. Fredd expressed a mild preference for the chicken and I said I'd take anything. He served both of us the pasta and said it was a much better choice than the chicken. It was palatable - okay but nothing more.

It was fortunate his bartending skills helped to compensate for the mediocre meal. ;)

jmr50 Feb 20, 2009 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Fredd (Post 11294969)
The choice was between a macademia-nut crusted chicken and a cheese tortellini with a white sauce decorated with a thin line of red sauce.

The purser also offered us the option of a fresh salad from Y if we didn't like either choice. Mrs. Fredd expressed a mild preference for the chicken and I said I'd take anything. He served both of us the pasta and said it was a much better choice than the chicken. It was palatable - okay but nothing more.

It was fortunate his bartending skills helped to compensate for the mediocre meal. ;)

I've had both and completely agree with him: the pasta is a better choice by far. That's not saying the pasta is any more than "palatable" mind you... the chicken was leather-like.

MatthewLAX Feb 20, 2009 8:50 pm

^ Thanks for sharing!

Glad UA has brought them back.

Renard Feb 20, 2009 9:34 pm

Thanks goodness they're back...I'll have one on sfo-hnl in May :cool:

mauiUAflyer Feb 20, 2009 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by jmr50 (Post 11295508)
I've had both and completely agree with him: the pasta is a better choice by far. That's not saying the pasta is any more than "palatable" mind you... the chicken was leather-like.

The stuffed shells are pretty good. The ravioli, not so much... I usually get a special meal these days to break it up...