Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Mai Tais Return to United's Hawai`i Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mai Tais Return to United's Hawai`i Flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2009, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BD Gold, SPG Gold
Trader Vix and bubly on UA81 LAX-HNL 3/14
Old Mar 25, 2009, 6:47 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
on 3/23/09, LAX-KOA, there were Mai Tais, tasted very good, with the dark rum. The crew on this flight were very nice, and had the nice touches such as flowers in the cabin, a bubbling dry ice volcano on the tray to serve cold moist towels, warm nuts, great!

However, no Halfway to Hawaii game...
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
Originally Posted by ORDinary guy
OK don't laugh, but Mrs. Guy and I actually like this stuff, so we buy it occasionally.

Around the same time UA pulled the mai tais we found the Trader Vic's non-alcoholic mixer was unavailable in any of our usual stores. Mrs. Guy asked a manager and he said there were manufacturing problems and the brand had to be withdrawn for a period of time.

Is it possible that the disappearance of mai-tais from UA Hawaii flights was entirely unrelated to UA?

OTOH the F menus have been de-Hawaii-ized as well so who knows....
I love it too. I actually ordered some from the web and had it shipped home. It reminds me of my flights to Hawaii.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 7:17 am
In Memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
just got off LAX-HNL-SFO

there was "champagne" it was a bit bleh more related to not cold enough I think.

But.. there was warm choc chip cookie and milk
I flew the exact same LAX-HNL flight last October and I don't remember that.

as an aside, I thought the flights were rather good, nice attentive crew, trying really hard, it's not as bad as some people say, good use of 1 e-500

and I am doing it all over again tomorrow , so I will report back on whether a general improvement is consistent
Old Apr 6, 2009, 7:32 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ll22949
I love it too. I actually ordered some from the web and had it shipped home. It reminds me of my flights to Hawaii.
Me too. I think it's the memories that are sparked even more than the actual beverage that is most appealing.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Noelene
just got off LAX-HNL-SFO

there was "champagne" it was a bit bleh more related to not cold enough I think.

But.. there was warm choc chip cookie and milk
I flew the exact same LAX-HNL flight last October and I don't remember that.

as an aside, I thought the flights were rather good, nice attentive crew, trying really hard, it's not as bad as some people say, good use of 1 e-500

and I am doing it all over again tomorrow , so I will report back on whether a general improvement is consistent
Good to know - I'll be doing the SFO-HNL-LAX runs for the SYD MRs in about a month, and will also be interested to see if the service improves. When I last went to HNL in January, it was at its lowest point, I believe.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 5:32 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Mai Tais: LAX-OGG First Class

Have the Mai Tais returned to First Class on any of the West Coast - Hawaii flights (i.e. L.A. - Maui) ?

Mahalo - thanks.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 29, 2009 at 6:32 pm Reason: merged into existing thread
Old Apr 29, 2009, 5:34 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
Have the Mai Tais returned to First Class on any of the West Coast - Hawaii flights (i.e. L.A. - Maui) ?

Mahalo - thanks.
I enjoyed a delicious Mai Tai on my LAX-OGG F class flight on 3/26.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 5:42 pm
Formerly known as rwk32882

Programs: IHTFP, AS 75k, AA EXP, AC 75k, ex-UA 1K, Ex-BD *G (RIP), SPG Gold
I did LAX-HNL-LAX-HNL-SFO last week. Mai tais were served on all four of my flights. ^ No ice cream or halfway to Hawaii game though
Old Apr 29, 2009, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), Marriott Lifetime Titanium (UGH), Uber Diamond
4/8: SFO-HNL - No
4/11: HNL-SFO - Yes
Old Apr 29, 2009, 6:34 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
4 trips to/from HNL mid April

Mai Tais -offered all 4 trips
Warm Cookies and milk - 2 trips
Warm Cookies - 2 trips
Old Apr 29, 2009, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold

Warm Cookies - 2 trips
I suspect had you requested milk on the other 2 it would have been there, that said there's no reason to have milk with cookies when theres baileys....oh yeah well a baileys like substance
Old Apr 29, 2009, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
warm cookies YUMMY
Old Apr 30, 2009, 6:40 am

On Monday from HNL-LAX in F mai tais were available but not Trader Vic's. When I asked if Trader Vic's mix was on board the purser said, "They don't have Trader Vic's any more and in my opinion the mix we have on board now is not very good." He then brought me a wine glass containing a sip of the new mix and I had to agree it wasn't very tasty so I declined to have a mai tai.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist

Warm Cookies - 2 trips
I took four trips as well in March. Mai Tais on all flights, but warm cookies on only one.

Originally Posted by LAXGUY
On Monday from HNL-LAX in F mai tais were available but not Trader Vic's. When I asked if Trader Vic's mix was on board the purser said, "They don't have Trader Vic's any more and in my opinion the mix we have on board now is not very good." He then brought me a wine glass containing a sip of the new mix and I had to agree it wasn't very tasty so I declined to have a mai tai.
That explains why my mai tai tasted a little different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.