Meal cuts effective October 16

Old Sep 22, 01, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold
Meal cuts effective October 16

I thought this would happen, even before AA's annoucement.

Effective October 16: Domestic flights less than 950 miles will have no meal/snack service, except certain flights to/from ORD and DEN. I don't know whether this includes First Class. Doesn't seem nearly as severe as AA's cuts, but I bet some of the current meal flights of more than 950 miles will be downgraded to snacks....

When I get more info I'll post it here...
Old Sep 22, 01, 11:14 pm

Can't say thank you enough, for this post and your many others. I'll try to reroute accordingly because I actually like airplane food.
Old Sep 22, 01, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Ditto my vote of thanks too Basenji.

We are hearing more about WHAT is going on from you, than from United direct. Be interested to see if they do cut meals in F. If they do, that IMO would be extremely dumb.

After all, what then distinguishes a fairly crummy 737 "First" seat or flying "experience" from E+ if there is no food on either seat? The Guy in F might be paying $900 and the guy in E+ might be on a $103 web fare. If they want too KEEP any high yield traffic, cutting food and booze in F is suicide.

Just my 2 mustard pretzels worth.
Old Sep 22, 01, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA 3MM CK, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, GP Courtesy Card, Marriott LT Titanium
I would how they came up with 950 miles? I guess that means all flights under 2 hours. Oh well, I certainly hope they'll keep the snacks and light meals in F class on those flights... I don't see why anyone would want to fly on F class short domestic flights if they cut out the meal service. It seriously would be no difference in F and Y+
Terence
Old Sep 22, 01, 11:57 pm

Was on phone with UA confirming a few bookings. Mentioned the info above (no source supplied to them) and they did not have a clue this was occurring, and frankly inferred I was making it up. Thanks basenji.
Old Sep 23, 01, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They probably aren't receiving or reading their company dispatches.
Old Sep 23, 01, 10:28 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by goldelite:
Was on phone with UA confirming a few bookings. Mentioned the info above (no source supplied to them) and they did not have a clue this was occurring, and frankly inferred I was making it up. Thanks basenji. </font>
Unfortunately, reservation staff is usually the last to know....and I haven't alot of info about the cuts yet myself.
Old Sep 23, 01, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, NCR EC
950 miles should translate to having no segments more than about 3:15 long even with schedule padding. For example, BOS-ORD westbound on both UA and AA is roughly 2:45 long in the schedules and that's 867 miles.

I must commend UA for having a more intelligent approach than my beloved but occasionaly stupid AA - they just cut coach food from basically everything domestic except transcons and DFW/STL-HNL.
Old Sep 23, 01, 9:37 pm

Thanks basenj for the information! I guess I will stay with United for the next year or so. At least it is not as crazy as AA.

However, I have one quick question... I know you don't work on transcon flights much, but I got a menu from a Saturday's EWR-LAX dinner flight on United First. It was no longer the A4 size, but a longer menu with actually papers and looks like a booklet. Will those printed menus be eliminated? I know cutting those papers will be good for the company. Nevertheless, it will be nice to have someone warn me that United domestic first menus will be gone soon, than finding out on board.

I will appreciate if you can let me know!

Thanks,
Carfield
Old Sep 23, 01, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Carfield -

The new upgraded menus were introduced last month for transcon and mid-con (ORD-West Coast) lunch and dinner flights. Something about being competitive....

Hawaii menus were cut to one single sheet.

Whether menus will stay or not is anyone's guess. UA is looking at everything to stop the gaping flow of losses.

I guess whether the menus will continue will depend upon whether UA continues to serve meals like they have in the past.
Old Sep 24, 01, 12:42 am

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by basenji:
Carfield -

The new upgraded menus were introduced last month for transcon and mid-con (ORD-West Coast) lunch and dinner flights. Something about being competitive....

Hawaii menus were cut to one single sheet.

Whether menus will stay or not is anyone's guess. UA is looking at everything to stop the gaping flow of losses.

I guess whether the menus will continue will depend upon whether UA continues to serve meals like they have in the past.
</font>
At least I do not have to worry about upgrading as much Who would need to?? What is the difference? (unless you drink,etc)...

If they are going to make them like Shuttle, at least make the First Class complementary for 1Ks like shuttle

Search this Thread
Search Engine: