Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Does UA Cost TOO much in the US? New Airline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2001, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum

I have been reviewing United for the last couple of months watch my airfares to non-hub cities, and have been noticing that UA is not matching airfares. I noticed this on some of my domestic travel and recently now that I am going to be flying LAX/SNA/ONT -MSP. This fare is one of the highest.. with CO/NW/AA being alot less. I am wondering for the domestic top tier flyer if UA is too expensive and if CO offers the better product.

If you need to fly AW, CO has you covered (AmericaWest is very convinent for last minute fares)... if you want Upgrades on CO or NW they are covered.. and it has some good upgrades...

Just do not know.. but I guess I have to be a good shopper rather than irrational loyalty?

Any thoughts? Anyone else noticing United cutting back and offering a more expensive product?
Old Sep 3, 2001, 8:31 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I am still finding deals for places I want to go, but they are not around as long as some other airlines, for example New York to San Francisco for under $200 next month.

I think the deals come and go much quicker, but are there from time to time.
Old Sep 3, 2001, 1:12 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
United has gone through phases where they are more competitive fare wise. Up until the SFH they rarely set the pace on fare sales, rather just matching what other airlines did. Then all of a sudden UAL was starting sales and dropping fares trying to get customers back. But now with the fuel prices, recession, and higher pilot pay, they are trying to keep fares up when they can, even to the point of not matching. All the more reason to use Orbitz, Travelocity, and the airlines web sites to find the best fare.

"Miles are great, money is better."

(Lower fares, bump vouchers, and discount coupons are better than more miles.}
Daze
Old Sep 3, 2001, 2:40 pm

Location: UA 1K 3MM, UA 1P/1K since mid '80s; CO Bronze/Silver since mid 80's, Austin, Texas
I keep some status going on both UA (1K or 1P) and C0 (Silver Elite). You may want to consider doing the same. If you can do it, I think that dual loyalty makes sense these days. IMHO, CO is your best choice for an additional airline. With CO you get pretty good treatment (easy domestic upgrades, priority check-in, extra baggage, etc), and status miles on Northwest, America West, Alaska, Midway, and others. You can easily get a one-time comp to Gold (or maybe even Platinum? not sure) with your UA status. Silver Elite level is just 30 segments or 25,000 miles a year. If business calls you to a place that is off-line or a high price for UA, you'll have good options. Just this month I'm doing a back to back, with one ticket on CO and the other on UA. I don't have to worry about someone in accounting snagging me for breaking rules. And I'm accruing status miles/segments that matter in the frequent flyer game on both airlines.

I've noticed the same thing you mentioned regarding UA domestic fares: UA tends to be higher or appear that they won't even try to compete on some markets. There are sales that restore my hope of sticking with UA. Of course, where I live now, I just about have to have another carrier to do short hops I'm called to do at times. But if So Cal is where you are starting your trips, I think you might do just as well with CO Elite card in your wallet next to your UA Prem Ex card. HP or AS can't be as bad as getting on the UA Shuttle or the UA Express equipment.
Old Sep 3, 2001, 5:50 pm

I totally agree.

If I knew how I'd link this to my recent post as an example. I understand as do most on these boards the complicated myriad of airline pricing stratgies.

But, UA has become really peculiar of late. I attributed it to the "whatever line I pick is the longest" analogy for a long time. But, know I realize I've earned my status on the most costly US airline.

Mix em boy's (and girls) dual status is a good thing.
Old Sep 3, 2001, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Thanks and I think you are right... Continental has such a strong partner network and upgrading strategy, that it makes sense for a second airline. I think I will go with the Status match(Platinum for 1K) and see what happens...

I do agree that United is probably one of the highest airlines.. and if you want to buyit offline, you are in trouble. On Orbitz, United is seldom in the first few columns (the lower prices)....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.