Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

First hamburgers, now hot dogs. What's next?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2001, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond

First it was hamburgers in first class.

Now they are serving hot dogs in transatlantic economy.

I hate to imagine what could possibly be next.
Old Aug 25, 2001, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chi1k:
I hate to imagine what could possibly be next.</font>
Hotdogs in F?
Old Aug 25, 2001, 6:54 am

As Jethro used to say on the Beverly
Hillbillies, "HotDog".
Old Aug 25, 2001, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UAL Premex
I don't know how long the "breakfast pizza" thing has been on board United.....but that sure was different.
Old Aug 25, 2001, 7:45 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Carioca Canuck:
I don't know how long the "breakfast pizza" thing has been on board United.....but that sure was different.</font>
I tried that on one of my morning flights, and I thought they were actually pretty good... much better than the usual gross breakfast foods (eggs, bacon, sausages)...
Old Aug 25, 2001, 8:21 am

I flew JFK-LAX last week in UA first on a 3 class flight (UA 017).

The service was good, the FA very nice, but... I didn't believe my eyes, I was offered a Hamburger as meal !!

Yes, I had the choice between 3 meals, but I did try it : ** horrible ** .

I usually fly Star Alliance, but my last flight was EWR-CDG in First with Air France (AF005) : Sevruga caviar and Tournedos.

No comment.
Old Aug 25, 2001, 9:12 am

After reading numerous testimonials regarding the taste of the hamburger in F class, I must say I do wonder if it's simply because different people have different tastes, or if the quality of hamburgers is not consistent flight to flight. Sounds like there are some people who love the burger, called it a "gourmet burger" while some say "horrible." Any ideas?

------------------
"To Fly High, Fly and STAY *UNITED* - that's the only way to do it."
Old Aug 25, 2001, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by *HighFlyah*:
After reading numerous testimonials regarding the taste of the hamburger in F class, I must say I do wonder if it's simply because different people have different tastes, or if the quality of hamburgers is not consistent flight to flight. Sounds like there are some people who love the burger, called it a "gourmet burger" while some say "horrible." Any ideas?
</font>
Both.

Different tastes AND preparation.

I've had the burger more than once. Quality varied. Seemed to be a function of cooking time.

It has been way overcooked and the bun was hard. Yuk. It has also been pretty good.

Old Aug 25, 2001, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Hard to conceive of hamburgers at 28K feet, but...

Maybe as a point of reference for the rest of us, would you say the burger was more like a McDonalds or a Burger King or a Wendy's? That will give the rest of us a better idea of where on the scale of burgerdom to start our assessment. Most people would consider McDonalds to be a standard reference [some, unfortunately even the epitome of burgerdom!], but whether we like them or hate them, at least it will help us consider if this is a step forward or one back for UA catering. As for the hotdogs, this is a much more regional taste, with no standard national or even international reference point...

Wonder if this new range of "gourmet delights" has been introduced by UA to meet the tastes of the summer family crowd? Afterall, with a shift from business travelling adults, to younger children on vacation, such options may be more to the liking of these seasonal customers. Some of whom also fly up front on their parents' upgrades, and so would enjoy a burger over a more traditional dish
Old Aug 25, 2001, 10:32 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I can't say I was impressed with beef & cheeze on a bun on HNL-LAX last year. Shuttle food on long UA flights???
Old Aug 25, 2001, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott LT Titanium
Intersting way of looking at it. Maybe I'm cynical, but I expected the 'United First Burger' was an attempt to cut costs.

On the other hand, maybe it is intended to keep the feel of First from getting too stuffy and pretentious. Who needs caviar and tournedos?... It would probably be difficult to put on airs when eating a hamburger.

As long as enough people like it and the quality is good I don't see a problem with it- as long as they also offer more traditional FC options.

My two cents- Kevin
Old Aug 25, 2001, 11:32 am

i heard they were serving alpo starting next week - lol
Old Aug 25, 2001, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge VintageŽ) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chi1k:
First it was hamburgers in first class.

Now they are serving hot dogs in transatlantic economy.

I hate to imagine what could possibly be next.
</font>
Lean Cuisine meal packs that you have to pay (or exchange drink coupons/UA miles) to get the FA to heat them.
Old Aug 25, 2001, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
What is next? UnitedBusinesspam (TM) - United Airlines is proud to announce the introduction of UnitedBusinesspam service on selected routes to and from Hawaii. These meals have been inspired by our special guest chef Spam Choi.

"We want our passengers to have a true taste of the islands prior to their arrival, and a lingering memory after their departure". Selected items include Spam-min (a noodle soup), Spam sushi (an island favorite), Spam and eggs, and a monthly rotating surprise treat. A new tropical beverage, the Spamai-Tai, will also be available. "We are also reconfiguring our fleet to add an extra lavatory to these flights" for the comfort and immediate convenience of those who really will need it."
Old Aug 25, 2001, 3:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta
What's the big deal? I thought Americans only ate hamburgers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.