Wiki Posts
Search

Volunteered to be denied boarding

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2009, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; CO Plat; Hilton Dimond; Marriott 3/3
Volunteered to be denied boarding

Here's another example of UA left hand not knowing what the other left hand is doing. Can anyone suggest the appropriate compensation I should ask for?

The story:

My friend and I were traveling back from DEN (to LAX) two nights ago - last flight of the day. Same PNR. I upgraded both with e-500's (4 for the 2 of us) and the upgrade cleared on Thursday, as planned.

Boarding was done early, but then GA came on and said she was looking for 1 volunteer to fly to ONT on the flight leaving 15 min later. (A previously delayed TED flight.) Since we live not far from ONT, my friend opted to give up his seat. I knew it was a bad idea the second they shut the aircraft door.

By the time my friend got off the jet bridge, the TED flight was full and he got stuck in DEN for the night. (Flew DEN - LAX on the first flight the next morning.)

The GA gave him 1 (one!) W/V/Q voucher, a $50 cert, 2 e-500's (which is a total waste of time for him since he doesn't fly a lot), a hotel room for the night, and a $15 meal voucher. They did put him in F the next morning^, though apparently the hotel room was a fight.

In my mind, this was one voluntary and one involuntary. So, at least, he's owed 2 vouchers. Plus, I have to make sure I get back the 2 e-500's I used to upgrade him.

FWIW, and I don't think that's much, they gave his seat to an FA returning home. I just didn't think they looked for volunteers to give seats to off-duty crew.

Anyway - any suggestions/comments are appreciated.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS
Is your friend 1K? If not, getting that hotel room was more compensation thatn I think should've been given. Plus $50 off a flight and a free flight voucher plus meal money? That's a lot imho, even if he was stuck in DEN for a night.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

My friend is a GM, but, keep in mind - he volunteered his seat, in exchange for a same day (same hour!) flight. He was then, essentially, denied boarding on that later flight.

Since the second flight was actually an "involuntary," the hotel room is, I believe, in line with UA policy.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 2:32 pm

Programs: These views/opinions are solely my own and not necessarily those of UAL or any other affiliates
The crew member was probably deadheading, which would be "on duty". They probably needed that crew member to work a flight out in the am.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 2:37 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by vt2k
Is your friend 1K? If not, getting that hotel room was more compensation thatn I think should've been given. Plus $50 off a flight and a free flight voucher plus meal money? That's a lot imho, even if he was stuck in DEN for a night.
This is not a typical irrops situation. They enticed the guy off the plane promising a flight to ONT. He should have had that flight confirmed. It should have been IDB or VDB on the ONT flight, and the friend could have volunteered again, or made it home.

He DEFINITELY deserved a hotel in this case, 1K or not. And IMO he deserved IDB for the ONT flight.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ethansma24
The crew member was probably deadheading, which would be "on duty". They probably needed that crew member to work a flight out in the am.
Ah! That might be it: she was in uniform and everything. But she did say something about going home, which is why I thought she was off duty.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
There are so many stories on flyertalk about people who are basically flat-out lied to in VDB situations. It's for that reason that I have never volunteered, even though sometimes the compensation sounds attractive (should it be true).

True there are other stories of people scoring great compensation, but being suckered like that would make me so angry that it's just not worth it.

Fortunately as a 1K I think I'm unlikely ever to experience IDB.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by ftweb
...Fortunately as a 1K I think I'm unlikely ever to experience IDB.
As long as you make sure they know it!

I almost got IDB'd on a UX LAX-ONT flight (back in the day!) because I was "on the cheapest fare". (It was only an int'l H fare. ) I just hand the GA my BP with the 1K status on it and she changed her mind. There were a few open seats on the plane when we finally boarded, so I'm guessing it was a weight problem.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 6:46 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
I think he should perhaps ask... just ask... for a second VDB voucher by emailing customer relations. Explain the situation, and who knows... maybe they will allow it. I don't think its that outrageous of a request.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Lifetime Gold, starting AK, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by SEAUAKID
I think he should perhaps ask... just ask... for a second VDB voucher by emailing customer relations. Explain the situation, and who knows... maybe they will allow it. I don't think its that outrageous of a request.
It's definitely worth asking for, all they can do is is say 'no', but overall I have to say I think the treatment was better than the average GM would generally get in that situation.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 7:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ccharles
... overall I have to say I think the treatment was better than the average GM would generally get in that situation.
Actually all passenger (in transit) regardless of status are due a hotel room if flight is cancelled for UA controllable reasons and no alternative flight until the next morning.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, & EP 2024-25; Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Actually all passenger (in transit) regardless of status are due a hotel room if flight is cancelled for UA controllable reasons and no alternative flight until the next morning.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.