IDB a 1K?

Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

IDB a 1K?

I have an upcoming LGAORD that is extremely oversold, and it's not just my flight, but all the LGAORD flights from about 2p to 8p.

I booked it a week ago (H fare) and all the seats were occupied, hence I could not assign myself a seat (not even in Y-).

Without a doubt, I want to fly during the time period I selected when I bought the ticket. The only exception would be poor weather conditions.

Since I lack a seat assignment, and will likely not be able to select one with online check-in, and it becomes an IDB situation with the flight, will UA not kick out Pauline Smith from Peoria in 27E to accommodate a 1K?

It's an ugly, dirty trick no matter how you cut it, but in this case UA screwed up on its bookings, and would they rather piss off Pauline or a 1K?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.

IDB's are extremely rare. And you'll be at the top of the Confirmed Awaiting Seats list.

So between no-shows, and VDBs they solicit for (and presumably they'll get some), I think you'll be able to get on.

There are probably others who are in the same boat, and likely with no status, who are more likely to become the IDB victims, if they even IDB at all.

I've been on Confirmed Awaiting Seats twice as a 1K, and both times been accommodated, in a decent seat to boot.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:29 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
I, too, have been in this situation several times. I've almost always ended up in exit row and/or aisle, as IME the GA first clears upgrades (which tends to empty out a few primo seats) and then assigns the seats to those confirmed in need of seats. Assuming the GA is on their game, they'll do that in status order.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Erasmus
I, too, have been in this situation several times. I've almost always ended up in exit row and/or aisle, as IME the GA first clears upgrades (which tends to empty out a few primo seats) and then assigns the seats to those confirmed in need of seats. Assuming the GA is on their game, they'll do that in status order.

They can also clear you straight into First. You don't need a seat assignment for an upgrade to clear. If you're next, you're next.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:35 pm

Programs: My posts represent my personal opinions based on public information and not the official views of UA
As a 1K, you are at the top of the list to receive a seat assignment. Even on an oversold day, there is a lot of churn between flights in high frequency business markets which will open up some seats, not to mention potential for volunteers so I wouldn't sweat it out.

Just don't sneer too much at the non-revs who deserve to be stuck for trying to get on flights that are so busy. ;-)
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:36 pm

Location: The counter of lost hopes and dreams, and for the creation of new ones in DEN
Programs: MP Rehab... or something like that...
As a GA myself, I'll have you rest assured that you'll have a confirmed seat even before you leave the counter. As a GA, we seriously dislike IDB's only cause they provide more hassle than even the compensation is worth... granted you would get cash back up to a certain % of fare basis on the single leg... not sure at this moment. and yes we do have a few dirty tricks up our sleeves to get those VDB's if necessary... and yes they are still UA legal...
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
welcome

Originally Posted by CleUnited
As a GA myself, I'll have you rest assured that you'll have a confirmed seat even before you leave the counter. As a GA, we seriously dislike IDB's only cause they provide more hassle than even the compensation is worth... granted you would get cash back up to a certain % of fare basis on the single leg... not sure at this moment. and yes we do have a few dirty tricks up our sleeves to get those VDB's if necessary... and yes they are still UA legal...
Welcome CleUnited to FTalk!

Glad you could join and give us some input, keep posting so we will learn from you.

Karung99
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:44 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
UA's CoC states nothing about status when it comes to IDBs, only those without seat assignments will be IDB'd in reverse order from when they presented themselves. (Although Y and B fares go as BP1 and all discounted fares go as BP2.)

I have IDB'd a 1P earlier this year, and he demanded that I remove someone from their pre-assigned seat for him. That isn't the way the rules were written...he was last to checkin on a weight restricted flight with no one volunteering, and was on a non Y/B ticket.

It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Checkin early and be at the gate as early as you can to minimize your risk.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:47 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by channa
They can also clear you straight into First. You don't need a seat assignment for an upgrade to clear. If you're next, you're next.
True. Unfortunately on flights in this sort of overbooked scenario for the routes I frequent, I find there are plenty of GS's ahead of me to make sure a lowly 1K doesn't clear
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:51 pm

Location: The counter of lost hopes and dreams, and for the creation of new ones in DEN
Programs: MP Rehab... or something like that...
Originally Posted by fastair
UA's CoC states nothing about status when it comes to IDBs, only those without seat assignments will be IDB'd in reverse order from when they presented themselves. (Although Y and B fares go as BP1 and all discounted fares go as BP2.)

It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Checkin early and be at the gate as early as you can to minimize your risk.
exactly...

cutoff times are cutoff times and usually by then we'll know if we need volunteers or IDB's...

i hate to say it but i've also denied GS and 1K's from boarding cuase they showed up late at my counter/podium... ... although i haven't had to IDB one yet...
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

UA's CoC states nothing about status when it comes to IDBs, only those without seat assignments will be IDB'd in reverse order from when they presented themselves.
This really surprises me, I wonder if it's just an old rule that UA hasn't changed?

Honestly, if a flight is in an IDB situation, and Pauline got to ride on it with her T fare and I was denied boarding as a 1K on my H-fare, it would definitely rub me the wrong way as a loyal customer.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

only those without seat assignments will be IDB'd in reverse order from when they presented themselves. (Although Y and B fares go as BP1 and all discounted fares go as BP2.)

Aren't BP1 and BP2 is sorted by status?

So procedurally, wouldn't you clear BP1s, then as many BP2s as you can, leaving the last of the BP2s to be IDBed? Essentially, the statused pax would be at the top of BP2, and the non-status folks are at the bottom.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:16 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by UNITED959
This really surprises me, I wonder if it's just an old rule that UA hasn't changed?

Honestly, if a flight is in an IDB situation, and Pauline got to ride on it with her T fare and I was denied boarding as a 1K on my H-fare, it would definitely rub me the wrong way as a loyal customer.
True, but legal documents on file with various regulatory bodies, such as the DoT aren't about promoting an airline's FF programs, but rather providing a known, fare, and level playing field for all customers.

Denying boarding is one of those things that falls outside of any loyalty programs, so to do most things that are regulated by the DoT.

Pauline with her T fare most likely made a commitment to fly on this particular flight long before you did. In a world where cash is king, cash is supposed to not be king where the fed regulates things. I am sure if an airline thought they could get away by discriminating against lower status passengers, lower fared passengers, or other people that would net in the airline offending less "earners" to the airline, they would, but alas, some rules, such as the Bill of Rights, the Constitution, and most regulations (along with documents filed with regulatory bodies) aren't supposed to discriminate based on socio-economic status or profitability to an airline. One man, one vote, at least that is my theory on how this system is supposed to work.

In reality, the system benefits the lower fares (at least pre-economy plus) as seat assignments are 1st come, 1st serve. The people who bought with the discount in advance got the seat assignments early. Now with E+, there is an entire part of the cabin that Ma Kettle don't get, and they can't preassign them, so they are at a disadvantage on the majority of flights.

I kind of like the fact that they are some things that money can't buy in this world. Sure, I like money, but I believ that when it comes to UA breaking their promise to a person to deliver a product, it shouldn't be made on who pays the most, but on a neutral basis, where everyone is equal.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:28 pm

Is LGAORD heavy on biz travelers? Could be a lot of Y-class bookings that have a history of last minute travel changes thus justifying the heavy oversell.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
I have an upcoming LGAORD that is extremely oversold, and it's not just my flight, but all the LGAORD flights from about 2p to 8p.

I booked it a week ago (H fare) and all the seats were occupied, hence I could not assign myself a seat (not even in Y-).

Without a doubt, I want to fly during the time period I selected when I bought the ticket. The only exception would be poor weather conditions.
Then you should not have bought the flight, or you should have canceled before the 24 hours elapsed from time of purchase.

If she bought her ticket when there were assignable seats and she assigned herself a seat, then I don't see why she should be evicted. How would you feel if a GS had you evicted from the plane to take your seat?

As a *G I was once IDB'd on SAS, Olso to EWR. It can happen.

Unfortunately, airlines are allowed to over sell seats; they shouldn't be but they are. (And they certainly shouldn't be allowed to charge for standbys if they are allowed to over sell. But again they are.)

If you are IDB'd insist on the full cash compensation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.