FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   ORD C/F Concourse Shuttle - How Frequent? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/941637-ord-c-f-concourse-shuttle-how-frequent.html)

swdke Apr 9, 2009 8:31 am

ORD C/F Concourse Shuttle - How Frequent?

I arrive Concourse F today and will be connecting to a flight in Concourse C. I only have a 40 min to connect, and actually less considering I'll need to obviously be at the departing gate before departure time. Hoping to use the shuttle between Concourse E and C. I've done it once before, it was very convenient. At that time, I was able to simply walk on the shuttle as it was there and I had no wait time. How frequent is this shuttle? Is there just one shuttle going back and forth, or are there several making the route? Or, considering my short connection time, would it be faster to walk from F to C?

Thanks!

jhayes_1780 Apr 9, 2009 8:32 am

Originally Posted by swdke (Post 11553860)
I arrive Concourse F today and will be connecting to a flight in Concourse C. I only have a 40 min to connect, and actually less considering I'll need to obviously be at the departing gate before departure time. Hoping to use the shuttle between Concourse E and C. I've done it once before, it was very convenient. At that time, I was able to simply walk on the shuttle as it was there and I had no wait time. How frequent is this shuttle? Is there just one shuttle going back and forth, or are there several making the route? Or, considering my short connection time, would it be faster to walk from F to C?

Thanks!

about every 5-10 min.

No question... DON'T walk, take the shuttle.

DawgmanOH Apr 9, 2009 8:38 am

Originally Posted by swdke (Post 11553860)

Thanks!

This is JMHO, but I despise the shuttle and always opt to walk. It could just be my bad luck, but I have not had the best of times waiting or transporting with the shuttle.

I can always control my walking speed and have not had an issue even getting from the farthest gate in F to the farthest gate in C in about 15 minutes.

YMMV, but I do not use the shuttle and have not yet missed a flight from F to C.

Fredd Apr 9, 2009 8:45 am

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 (Post 11553865)
about every 5-10 min.

No question... DON'T walk, take the shuttle.

Very useful information. We were hardly aware of the shuttle and took a chance on it for the first time a couple of days ago and made our 20-minute connection.

Slightly OT - I waited upwards of 10 minutes for our gate-checked bag to arrive in the jetway after getting off the CRJ and there were several people with tight connections still waiting when I sprinted up the jetway. :mad:

Is this common at ORD? It's the longest we've ever waited for a gate-checked bag and we've flown UX Express a fair amount over the past several years.

emcampbe Apr 9, 2009 8:50 am

The shuttle comes farily frequently, I believe there are actually 2 busses. I think they leave every 5 minutes at least. Of course, the time of day can have a big effect on the amount of people using it, and if you are arriving at a busy time, there can be long lines, and so you won't necessarily get on the first one.

That said, the walk is a long one, and so I use the shuttle.

aisleorwindow Apr 9, 2009 11:51 am

I know ORD like the back of my hand, so I usually prefer to walk, but it does take longer than the shuttle.

The other reason I prefer walking is so I don't have to lug my carry-ons up and down the stairs and on and off the bus.

LNKed Apr 9, 2009 12:22 pm

I've taken the shuttle once, but much prefer the walk. It's really not as far as some may think, though I will admit the shuttle is faster.

bbc z Apr 9, 2009 12:35 pm

I've taken the shuttle once, but much prefer the walk. It's really not as far as some may think, though I will admit the shuttle is faster.
I agree.. people here treat the walk like it's from MDW to ORD. 15min at normal walking speed from C32 to F11. If you like running, you can do it in 5.

gj83 Apr 9, 2009 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by bbc z (Post 11555252)
I agree.. people here treat the walk like it's from MDW to ORD. 15min at normal walking speed from C32 to F11. If you like running, you can do it in 5.

I walk. The shuttle doesn't have a luggage rack so after 5 people with rollaboards it gets quite cramped.

jhayes_1780 Apr 9, 2009 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by gj83 (Post 11555625)
I walk. The shuttle doesn't have a luggage rack so after 5 people with rollaboards it gets quite cramped.

I have it about 50/50 with the luggage rack.

Originally Posted by bbc z

With a carry on? IF you can do that run in under 5:00 you should sign up for the olympics (the under walkway alone has to be a 1/4 mile). Plus dodging people at the security for B and the esclators?

fastair Apr 9, 2009 2:29 pm

The shuttle holds 22 passengers. If the line appears to have more than 44 people, walk. If it is under 22, take the shuttle. Between 22 and 44, it's a tough call, although I still think the shuttle will be faster

bbc z Apr 9, 2009 2:29 pm

With a carry on? IF you can do that run in under 5:00 you should sign up for the olympics (the under walkway alone has to be a 1/4 mile). Plus dodging people at the security for B and the esclators?
Good point. I meant more like 6 minutes ;) I know it's possible, when I first started flying through ORD in weather I had 20min to get from C to F and I waited for the shuttle. A friend ran it and he was well in his seat by the time I got to the gate and the GA quickly notified the plane there was one last person to get on. I was sweating more than him too :)

I just think that flyertalk gives off the impression that ORD C->F is not a reasonable walk when it's 20 min to boarding time, while it totally is.

Next time, I'll count the number of steps and report back :)

timezone_trooper Apr 9, 2009 3:13 pm

I do the C >> F walk pretty much once a week and even from the ends of each terminal, it never takes me more than about 10 minutes.

The shuttle may be faster if there's no line, but I still prefer to walk.

pfpdx Apr 9, 2009 3:27 pm

Plus if you walk you get to view the light show with the trippy music...And the constant "the walkway is now ending...Please look down."

Walking could vary in time based on how full the moving walkways are.

Also my GF reported that a light shuttle load can be bad as well as they won't leave until it is full.

bbc z Apr 10, 2009 7:53 am

300 paces from F11 to the customer service desk at F2 ;)