Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

24-hour cancelation policy Questions [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

24-hour cancelation policy Questions [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:50 am

changing reservation within 24hrs....NO budging?

I made a reservation on .BOMB for a trip (almost 48hrs ago now). The following day, just about 36hrs later, I realized that I had 2 $400e-certs that were expiring late fall and I wanted to use them for this trip. The trip cost was ~$850 so it was a perfect opportunity to use them, especially with the domestic only restriction, etc. Realizing my mistake, I called UAL immediately and ask if I can get it switched, they said no way no how, I spoke to the supervisor and he said he couldn't do anything about it...I needed to call 12hrs sooner.

For REAL!? Is there ANY possible way around this? I can't use the e-certs much this fall because they are domestic only and my remaining trips are all transatlantics to europe.

I pleaded with the supervisor csa, very calmly if there was any way he could change it, reminding him I didn't want to change the reservation, just change the method of payment....only a HAIR over their time from for the 24hr change rule.

I'm very frustrated...was gonna book the trip on Delta because they had a cheap first-class fare, but figured I'd stay with UAL for the miles, status and risk a UDU, now I feel like they're not doing me any favors.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Sorry, you're not going to get any sympathy from UA. 12 hours is not "a hair". I could see a few minutes, but not a full 12 hours (50% longer).
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:07 pm

the 24 hour cancel policy is very generous.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:21 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
sorry to hear this. How about cancel and rebook the flight, if that is possible yes you loose $150 but you's still save $250 on the ecert. Caution thought maybe someone else can answer, if you cancel and rebook can you use the credit plus ecert on same res?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Might be some more info here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Wirelessly posted (HTC_Touch_Cruise_T4242 Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; it))

No sympathy from me either. If they budged at 36 hours, and not at 48 hours you'd still complain. What else will people find to complain about? the policy is quite clear: 24 HOURS. Use your certs for another trip
Old Aug 14, 2010, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I agree with the other posters here - 24 hours is 24 hours. The policy is clear. It's not a 36 hour policy, so why you would expect UA to honor it that late I'm not sure. If you had tried to call before 24 hours, and the lines were jammed for 12 hours, then I would say you have a case. I imagine this was not the case, and so I think the answer is pretty clear.

Yes, it would have been nice for UA to do it. You asked, and should have expected the answer you got, and been very happy if they were able to accomodate. They weren't. It's a life lesson, I guess. On the other hand, maybe its a good excuse to take another trip.

Also note, that you are can only use 1 ecert per trip, so you would've only been able to use one of them anyway.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 2:40 pm

Programs: ua 1k
a very frustrating position in which i have found myself a few times so i definitely feel your pain. as others have mentioned, the UA 24 hour policy is actually pretty generous. i have discovered the hard way that most other airlines have no such policy - once you purchase there is no turning back (without involving fees).

only once has UA bent the rules for me...i wasn't expecting them to but i was lucky enough to speak with a supervisor that made it happen. it was about 25 hours after i had purchased the flight and they let me cancel without penalty.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA G
Exchanged Tickets *not* eligible for 24hr Refund!

Just a heads up -- when exchanging a ticket (using residual value), the new ticket you use is not eligible for a free refund within 24 hours. Once you're ticketed, you're stuck with it. Cancellations and changes are subject to the change fees of the new ticket. Supervisor on the 1K line verified this.

I discovered this the hard way.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
24-hour refund on UA.com

Curious, does UA allow a 24-hour refund on flights purchased on UA.com?
Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: 1P, Avis Presidents Club, Marriott Gold Elite, RCC
Not the last time I tried 6 months ago. I did make a mistake once, called and they changed the date for free....within 24hrs
Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Yes, United has a 24-hour cancellation policy on all flights.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA PLT
Yes. It's built right into the fare rules for nearly every fare:

" A. UA CUSTOMER COMMITMENT - CUSTOMERS WHO PURCHASE A TICKET FOR TRAVEL ON UNITED VIA UA CHANNELS MAY CANCEL THEIR RESERVATION/REFUND TICKET WITHOUT PENALTY WITHIN 24HRS OF PURCHASE. "
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:06 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Yes, they do. It's 24 hours from time of purchase.

I once canceled a flight 5 minutes before the time was up (my boss rescheduled a business meeting, conflicting with a leisure trip I'd just booked the day before). I'd booked an award ticket (not a 1K at the time) for my wife, too, and the agent looked to make sure which she had to process first to make sure to get them in under the deadline since they were booked a few minutes apart.

The refund may take a little while to hit your credit card; it's typically there within an hour or so IME, but I believe it can technically take several days.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Just access the reservation online, and click "Refund" at the top. Usually posts in a few days time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.