Star Alliance Upgrade Awards returning

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:27 pm
Company Representative - United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: United Public Relations
Star Alliance Upgrade Awards returning

Hello all,

We want you to be among the first to know that United is reintroducing Star Alliance Upgrade Awards. Beginning tomorrow, these will be available on Air China, ANA, Asiana, Austrian, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, SWISS, TAP Portugal, Shanghai, THAI and Turkish Airlines. We are also working to have them available on other carriers in the very near future. We appreciate your patience while we worked through some technical issues to ensure that this service consistently meets your needs. Happy upgrading!

Cheers,

United PR

[Additional Information, as Posted by Others]

Originally Posted by MrAOK
and the rules are ...

http://www.united.com/page/article/0...eupgradeawards

# Star Alliance Upgrade Awards are available on all participating Star Alliance carriers from fares booked in C, D, Y, and B. (The following carriers offer upgrades off these additional fare classes: Lufthansa - J class and ANA - J and Z classes).
# One award is required for each upgraded segment.
# No stopovers are permitted.
Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
This is in the e-mail about the reintroduction of *A upgrades but haven't seen it posted elsewhere, and I believe it deserves its own topic.

Originally Posted by Graham Atkinson
Change to co-pay structure for United Mileage Upgrade Awards
We heard your feedback on the new policy to collect a co-pay for United Mileage Upgrade Awards on a full-fare B class ticket. We recognize that many of you purchase full-fare B class tickets for greater flexibility. As a result, when United Mileage Upgrade Awards with co-pay goes into effect, we will not collect a co-pay on upgrades from full-fare B class tickets.
In the new co-pay structure, B fares had slightly reduced mileage requirements compared to the current levels. I wonder if we'll get the reduced level + no co-pay, or if rather everything will stay the way it is now for B fares.

CO never had copays for B fares, so this is yet another step in the alignment of CO and UA programs.
Originally Posted by zrs70
As part of UA returning to the *A upgrade program, MP is discontinuing mileage upgrades for LH flights, effective July 1, 2009.

Until then, one can still upgrade H fares and above (excluding Z fares) using UA miles. But once the new policy takes effect, only *A upgrades will work, and that is only on BYDC fares.

"Effective July 1, 2009 paper certificates for mileage upgrades on Lufthansa will no longer be issued. However, certificates issued on or before June 30, 2009 under this program will be valid for travel for one year from the date of issuance.

Systemwide Upgrades may still be exchanged for paper certificates that can be used on Lufthansa operated flights. For more information, visit Systemwide Upgrades."

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 7, 2009 at 8:25 am
Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
wow great news, thanks for sharing that. Can I ask do you have any more details, like booking class that would be required and the number of miles required? or do you know when that will be available?
thanks
Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Great News Indeed! Thanks for letting us know.. United PR
Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:33 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
This is welcome news.^ Is there a web page that you can direct us to visit?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:34 pm

Uhhh

Well, one would hope that since the awards will be available tomorrow, the rules will be as well?@:-)

Or perhaps they'll update the website overnight.

It seems likely the program will be the same as when the upgrades were first available (before they were pulled), which, as I recall, were not a terrific bargain.

Still, thanks for the heads up United PR!

Last edited by Potreroflyr; Apr 6, 2009 at 9:46 pm Reason: too slow on the keyboard
Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:36 pm

Great news, hoping my MRs miles in May will help me accumulate more miles for these Star Alliance upgrades
Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 2P
^

Uniformly positive announcement!
Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hyatt Diamond
That is really great, but I hope by other carriers, somehow Air Canada ends up on that list!
Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by United PR
We want you to be among the first to know ....

Cheers,
United PR
^^^ Cheers right back at you United PR. We are glad you are here, and I for one appreciate that you have stuck out, seem able to put up with the inevitable demands and critiques that we tack on to your posts.

I love that you continue to value letting us on FT know this stuff "first". I hope that you will continue to think of ways that UA can utilize FT and the internet (twitter?, like AA, B6, DL, AS) as a resource.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA GS
Great news and thanks for the heads-up. ^ I have an upcoming flight from LHR-MXP on LH where I will test out the *Alliance upgrade feature.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:55 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
MERCI!
Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
^^^^

Excellent news.

Side question to PR: Is it actual UA corporate policy to announce good news on a Monday and bad news on a Friday?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA1K, AAPlat, SPG-G
Thanks, great news! ^^^
Please also add Air Canada, please, please!
Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by ryan182
wow great news, thanks for sharing that. Can I ask do you have any more details, like booking class that would be required and the number of miles required? or do you know when that will be available?
thanks
I bet it is using the same booking code as before, Y and B only. They never offer a cheap upgrade on *A flights, hence only small amount of people can benefit at all. Miles will probably the same like on UA from Y to C.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I wonder if any of the recent changes on United.com, upgrade process, itineraries, seat-map, and online boarding passes, are related to this news? Maybe part of a larger wave/package of changes that United has been investing in? Certainly has been an interesting three weeks or so of changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.