Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Changing date on return ticket more than once.

Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer

I changed the return date(only) on my UA intl. ticket already once. I payed $250 to have it done. If I need to change it again, do I have to pay another $250? The last time I did this was many years ago and at that time, they only charged once. Any recent experience?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 7:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by braslvr
If I need to change it again, do I have to pay another $250?
I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
It sucks, but every change incurs a separate change fee.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yup...everytime you need to make a change, the ticket needs to be reissued, which is technically what the change fee incorporates. So you would need to pay again, unfortunately. The other option for next time is to buy a higher priced ticket that allows free changes.

The only time you would be charged one change fee for more than one change, I believe, is if they are done at the same time (i.e. change departure and arrival dates in one transaction).
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Yup...everytime you need to make a change, the ticket needs to be reissued, which is technically what the change fee incorporates. So you would need to pay again, unfortunately.
Ticket is not reissued. The only change is reservation.

You can just cancel the original reservation, and make the reservation again later when you make up your mind. This might work as only one charge.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:15 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
250 eh? Did I miss something? I thought the fee was 150.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
$150 US flights, Typically $250 International

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Int'l vs. domestic.

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Depends on the fare class, but a general rule of thumb is:
  • Domestic: 150.00
  • Intl: 250.00
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is $250 per change.

Originally Posted by gachen
....You can just cancel the original reservation, and make the reservation again later when you make up your mind. This might work as only one charge.
Yes, you can do that and it is only one change. However, I did that once and was not able to find any available date for my fare class when I needed to travel. I ended up abandoning the ticket and purchased a new ticket back.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
One instance where you won't be dinged twice is when the ticket has not been reissued yet.

In other words, if you make the change and pay the fee, but UA needs to do a manual reissue, which could take some time, if you need to initiate an additional change, you won't pay the fee again, so long as the ticket has not yet been reissued.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Like others responded the change fee was $150 Domestic USA and typically $250 "international"

However i re-thinking this, believe it is $150 USA/Canada (based on a chan I did a year ago) and so maybe it is $150 for Region 1? Any other data points?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
However i re-thinking this, believe it is $150 USA/Canada (based on a chan I did a year ago) and so maybe it is $150 for Region 1? Any other data points?
It's whatever your fare rules say it is. Different fares have different change fees.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:27 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, AA, SPG - Gold, LM
If your travel dates are not so near, and the fare class you are booked on is wide open, you might want to wait and hope for a schedule change which might render a change fee waiver. This will only work if all the planets are alighned in a straight line, but who knows? It might just be the day. Good luck^
Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
As it turned out, I did not need to change it a second time. In KIX now on the way home. Thanks for the disappointing info everyone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.