Dump the cheeseburger!

Old Jul 15, 2001, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
Dump the cheeseburger!

Just flew a transcon in F on a 757. By the time the FA got around to asking for my meal choice, only a hamburger was left. There were no menus, but my discreet observations revealed the other choices to be fried chicken and a seared scallop salad. I've never before had just one choice on a 757, so this tells me that the cheeseburger is NOT POPULAR. (Emphasis for UA's benefit!) I for one would appreciate more healthy alternatives than the cheeseburger and fried chicken and do expect a little more in first class.

On the positive side, the hamburger was actually quite tasty and was not equivalent to McDonald's, but my experience shows it's not what UA's first class passengers want. Let's go back to the Jacques Pepin menu -- much better! Also, the FA was very nice about the way he told us we had only one choice and handled it with class.
Old Jul 15, 2001, 8:34 am

Hmm, posts on this board have been quite to the contrary, as have my experiences with FAs telling people the burger was all gone and actually quite gourmet? Perhaps your experience was an anomalie? I do admit though, the idea of a cheeseburger in First Class is a bit odd! Who ever said United never leads but only follows!

*HighFlyah*

------------------
"To Fly High, Fly and STAY *UNITED* - that's the only way to do it."
Old Jul 15, 2001, 11:08 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
yep, I think it's quite weird as well to have a cheeseburger served in transcon F class... But I've had it last week on my transcon on IAD-SJC and I found it to be very good. It actually looked a lot better than the other two choices available. I don't think there's anything wrong with serving a cheeseburger in F class.. I mean I see high end restaurants charging $25 for a cheeseburger, so I don't see why UA can't serve it in F...
Old Jul 15, 2001, 11:13 am

I agree on Jacques Pepin meals. But I was under the impression that they were served only on midcons.
Old Jul 15, 2001, 11:23 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
You sure you're no flying NW?, Dasburg strikes!

Could be worse, see:

First Class w/o food!

~~If the tail is red, take the train instead!~~

[This message has been edited by snake (edited 07-15-2001).]
Old Jul 15, 2001, 12:37 pm
Community Director Emerita

And what about the UA lambburger? It is served as the second meal in UA 1st class int'l, at least from FRA-ORD last Saturday. There was an alternative choice, seafood salad or some such thing. Now, I happen to like lambburgers, so happily ordered it. I was quite shocked to find it was compressed luncheon slices of meat, rather than ground lamb. Yuck! That'll be my one and only time I order that! Hunger is preferable.
Old Jul 15, 2001, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat (again!)
I was offered the "deluxe hamburger" meal option on an LAX-IAD 777 in First last week. The F/A came around, and I asked her what's up with a cheese-burger? She didn't recommend it. I opted for the spicy chicken breast which was lovely.

When I was in the lounge at IAD waiting for my connection, I heard a guy describing on the phone how shocked he was to see a cheeseburger on the menu for a F-Class transcon flight. It may be an interesting summer idea from the gourmet-inspired side of UA, but I think the perception is going to work against 'em on this one. And, the F/A's aren't recommending it!

------------------
- Bob
Old Jul 15, 2001, 5:34 pm

Although a little messy to eat, I thought the cheeseburger was pretty good for a change.
Old Jul 15, 2001, 5:37 pm

Have had the cheeseburger. Tasted great! A nice change from the regular fare.
Old Jul 15, 2001, 6:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (thanks to SPG), AA Life Gold, UA Life Gold
I'll agree with this one! I enjoyed the cheeseburger over some of the inedibles I seem to be lucky enough to get lately.
Old Jul 15, 2001, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Had the cheeseburger for the first time about a month ago flying IAD-SFO.. I wrote about it and some comments from the gallery ensued...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/001849.html

I'm doing another transcon in front in two weeks.. this'll be a dinner flight on a 757.. is the cheeseburger only a lunch item, or is it dinner too?

Is there any way to predict menu choices? (I don't mean requesting special meals.. just wondering if there's a pattern of cycling choices, or any general rules about what kinds of food get served by route etc.)
Old Jul 16, 2001, 5:08 am

gleff:

I have it on very good authority that in two weeks you will have all new meal choices on this flight due to the number of complaints about the current food choices. Here are the new choices:

1. Soylent Green
2. Soylent Red
3. Soylent Obento (includes both green and red)

In C, the poor sods only get to choose from Green or Red, and in Y, well, they have to get the soylent from somewhere, so there will be some very cheap promotional fares with seating in some non-existant rows. You might want to avoid any "S" class fares on this route.

-David
Old Jul 16, 2001, 6:58 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SNA1K:
I'll agree with this one! I enjoyed the cheeseburger over some of the inedibles I seem to be lucky enough to get lately.</font>
Do UA ever serve pizzas in F? I've had quite a few pizzas on domestic QF J/C (there is no F).

MD
Old Jul 16, 2001, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA CK 2MM, DL DM 1MM, WN CP, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic3, Marriott Titanium Lftm, Hyatt GLB
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MilesDependent:
Do UA ever serve pizzas in F? I've had quite a few pizzas on domestic QF J/C (there is no F).MD</font>
AA does -- Chicago Deep Dish style -- for dinner, though I've never had them on UA.
Old Jul 16, 2001, 11:24 am

I too, in this case, had the misfortune of choosing the cheeseburger on my SFO to JFK flight. I, along with most of the other passengers who ordered it took one bite and requested another meal, however, all the remaining meals were spoken for. The woman sitting next to me actually became quite ill from the burger, it was the talk of the cabin amoung the passengers.

We all have our horror stories regarding airline meals, however, this deluxe cheeseburger was absolutely the worst meal that Ive had on United and I tend to be rather forgiving when it comes to airline meals. Yuck, what a waste of upgrades.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.