Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Ual.com offering YYZ as a connection point IAD-LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

I didn't try to ticket the reservation, so it may well not go through, but I found it odd to find YYZ pop up when pricing out IAD-LAX. Isn't there a law of some sort about connecting in Canada when origin and destination are both US?

Last edited by zrs70; Feb 25, 2011 at 9:31 am
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Now only if UA could offer YYZ-ORD-YVR for half the price of the gougers at AC
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
I thought it was only a problem if AC tried to sell you the ticket.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I don't think that's supposed to be allowed. Considering that SFO-YVR-ANC isn't a valid connection either (I'm pretty sure of that), even though it makes sense from a geographical perspective.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shouldn't be happening...
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Should not be happening .... but an FT's delight!
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP
YVR is a valid connection on SFO-YVR-ANC. Alaska used to fly this route (direct flight, no plane change). I flew RT on this a few years back. We were required to have a passport with us and had to present it upon boarding in SFO. We stayed on the plane in YVR though. Was sad that I didn't get to see the airport.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JAaronT
I thought it was only a problem if AC tried to sell you the ticket.
I think this is the key, a US carrier could sell you a ticket between two US points that connect in Canada, while AC cannot. AC could sell a ticket between two Canadian points that connect in the US. while a US carrier could not. Basically the nationality of the operating carrier must coincide with the origin and destination. At least I think that's how it works...
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:36 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
AA is a US flagged carrier. US flagged carriers have the rights to fly between US cities. A wholly foreign flagged carrier's routing would be not allowed.

There is no protectionist rules preventing US flagged carriers from capturing US O & D travel.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:11 am

Programs: AGR WOH
Technically, it's not cabotage: "Airline cabotage is the carriage of air traffic that originates and terminates within the boundaries of a given country by an air carrier of another country." I wonder if they're both UA-flagged flights, or if one's an AC codeshare, or whether that matters.

Originally Posted by kevinsac
Should not be happening .... but an FT's delight!
Given YYZ's taxes & fees, probably one of the worse places to segment-hop. (However, you miiight get a chance to ride YYZ's famous speedwalk.) That said, I'm glad to see that UA allows non-non-stop routings between hubs.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by paytonc
Given YYZ's taxes & fees, probably one of the worse places to segment-hop.
I'm sure that will come out when the person is comparing prices on line, no???
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kevinsac
I'm sure that will come out when the person is comparing prices on line, no???
Yes, though if using UA's site, on the initial page where all flight options are presented, fares do not include taxes/fees. So this would only be evident when booking through, or using the fare breakdown link to see ai price.

Originally Posted by BH777
YVR is a valid connection on SFO-YVR-ANC. Alaska used to fly this route (direct flight, no plane change). I flew RT on this a few years back. We were required to have a passport with us and had to present it upon boarding in SFO. We stayed on the plane in YVR though. Was sad that I didn't get to see the airport.
I guess I got confused, was thinking that AC can't sell the route, again, even though geographically, this makes sense. Though I guess UA could sell it, connecting on the summertime AC-operated flight if a UA codeshare?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
Hemispheres map

on 890 yesterday did not show YYZ as a destination.
I don't know how literally one is expected to take those maps---some hubs show so many colored lines to/from, but I certainly couldn't find T'ronna as a destination option.
If it no longer is, there's gonna be hell to pay when it's reunion time for my U of T buddies this summer ..

"?"
Old Feb 25, 2011, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9300/5.0.0.955 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

My corp travel desk shows AC as a valid routing to South America. Some of the cheaper GRU flights from NYC were NYC-YYZ-GRU. Didn't want to take AC or go north to go south.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Check how it breaks the fare. If they're selling you IAD-YYZ + YYZ-LAX, that's perfectly fine. They're selling you an open-jaw ticket to Toronto with a return to LAX. You're just not spending a lot of time in YYZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.