Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Greed IAD-PVD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:06 am

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
Originally Posted by freshairborne
United doesn't fly IAD-PVD. You're looking at some United Express carrier. Depending on the time you were looking at, it is either Mesa Airlines or GoJet Airlines.

Freshairborne
Technically true, but they are the face of UA on that nonstop.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:16 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by freshairborne
United doesn't fly IAD-PVD. You're looking at some United Express carrier. Depending on the time you were looking at, it is either Mesa Airlines or GoJet Airlines.
True, and that is even more reason why this is ridiculous! Have you ever flown Mesa out of IAD? If the OP books this itin, I've got $5 that says this flight will post some sort of delay.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stupidhead
How does it optimize profits to fly the two people willing to pay $900 to fly from Providence to DC?

Instead of the 10 people willing to pay $500 or so to fly from Providence to DC?
Assuming your numbers are right then the lower price probably would be better. However this higher fares are last minute fares and not the average. So how many additional passageners would lower last minute fares generate? What is the basis of your 2 versus 10 example? That is the question and the issue behind yield pricing.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:17 am

You'll be pleased to know that if you were a college student or faculty, you could pay UA $258 for IAD-PVD on those dates via studentuniverse.com - and if that doesn't tell you what's going on with this kind of pricing, nothing will. Customers who can demonstrate that they would never pay $900 for this (ie students and professors, or those who can make plans 10 days in advance, or who bid on Priceline) don't get charged $900. Those who can't demonstrate it, do. Price discrimination working well. (No sarcasm intended.)

If this isn't a business trip, use miles.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:29 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by djlndc
By gouging me, they lose my business.
...but, your other options for that day -that don't involve 8 hours in transit and an airport change from LGA to JFK- don't involve flying into PVD and on that route, UA is pretty competitive on those alternative routes..

It just seems a little odd to jump ship over this single outlier price instead of just adjusting... Right now, the average price in April of a single night IAD-PVD is $356 ($276, if you toss out the top two and bottom two). If you exclude UA from your future flights to PVD from IDA, the average price in April for a single night is $343 ($283, if you exclude the top two and bottom two as above) and require at least an extra 3 hours and 40 minutes and in transit per round trip.

Economically, I don't think that's a good deal. Isn't it possible that this is a little bit of an overreaction?
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Not sure what your schedule is like, but if you have the time, why not MR it.

I priced on your dates:

IAD-LAX-IAD-PVD
PVD-PHL-DFW-LAX-JFK-IAD

for $591.

That's just an example, but if you have the time, why not use the system to your advantage?
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by channa
Not sure what your schedule is like, but if you have the time, why not MR it.

I priced on your dates:

IAD-LAX-IAD-PVD
PVD-PHL-DFW-LAX-JFK-IAD

for $591.

That's just an example, but if you have the time, why not use the system to your advantage?
That's awesome! I was gonna suggest something utilizing PVD-PHX (at $150 all in) but didn't want to put in the work to see if it was available.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
PVD-WAS is about the only route where I don't fly UA. I've never done it. The pricing has never made sense. Lots of connections in IAD, but if I need to go to WAS, it's WN to BWI (<$200) or US to Reagan (which is priced like UA, but puts you in the city).

That said, the PVD-IAD flights are almost always full (though I've been grounded for the last six months, unrelated to the economy), so it may be that UA wants to price that segment to put people on connecting flights that net them a higher yield (given their contract with the regionals).
Old Mar 27, 2009, 3:55 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
And anyone could. IAD and PVD aren't slot restricted. The domestic airline industry was deregulated fully thirty years ago. Get an operating certificate (buying a liquidating carrier seems the easiest way), satisfy rules for ownership, and set up Hermann's Airlines to fly anywhere you wish within the U.S.A.
Well I can't. I am not American.

So much for the Free Market mantra .
Old Mar 27, 2009, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by djlndc
I want to fly IAD-PVD on 4/1 and return 4/2. Cheapest UA fare is $917.20. This is unbelievable. I checked SeatCounter and the flights are wide open. This is what makes me hate UA. I had been a 1K for a number of years. But finally got fed up last fall with UA being a pig to the northeast from IAD. Hopefully, SW will start flying this route and I'll never have to fly UA again.
My thoughts on this:

A) You have run into the Glenn Tilton Express, what happens when you use inefficient regional jets with fewer seats. The cost/mile is higher, so you have to charge more to make a profit. They sell some seats at lower costs, but have to sell some seats at very high costs to try and eake out a profit on the flight.

B) Yay, United is trying to make a profit. I'm with others that say airlines are not in the charity business, they charge what they need to charge to make a profit. They are not the oil companies making billions/qtr, they haven't made money in years, so I don't think they are overcharging and gouging for a product. They have been giving it away for years unfortunately.

C) I am all for reregulation. At least then airlines were profitable, employees happy, and airlines gave a good, equal level of service. I loved flying back in regulated times, it was a nice time to fly.

D) Why get on and complain about an airfare? I just went around looking for fares yesterday. My normal airline Delta was higher than a different carrier, so I decided to pay the higher fare to stay with Delta and my status. But I didn't get on the Delta board and whine about it, it was my choice. I could have bought a ticket on someone else, but I would have come back to Delta on some other flight, not say I'm leaving in a huff. I just find that as a big overreaction really. But hey, it's your money and choice. Good luck with whoever you go with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.