Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades becoming easier?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2009, 3:06 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by MGG
How do you monitor flights to tell when inventory is open for NC, XC, NF, XF?
I subscribe to KVS Tool (Platinum version).
Old Mar 29, 2009, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Or log into United in expert mode to see it. Not sure how to do that though as I did it in my profile long ago.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 3:34 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Or log into United in expert mode to see it. Not sure how to do that though as I did it in my profile long ago.
...change profile to "expert" mode, then do a standard award search for the routes you're interested in. Mouse over "flight information" and award (X) and upgrade (N) inventory will show.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
I subscribe to KVS Tool (Platinum version).
This looks great, but my god, it also looks incredibly time-consuming!
Old Mar 29, 2009, 4:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by jfdnyc1981
How are people doing with JFK-LAX and vv with e-500s?
I cleared as 1K on my last flight. Then again, it depends on which day of the week, which flight, and what the load looks like. I've seen a situation where there were 2 seats available in C at the gate, with 35 people on the waitlist for upgrade. Then again, my partner has 100% batting average so far for upgrading on p.s. route as a 1P (using miles, not 500 miler).

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
This looks great, but my god, it also looks incredibly time-consuming!
It only sounds complicated. I use KVS religiously, and it's been a great tool to determine and pinpoint exact flight with the lowest fare bucket and/or upgrade availability.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
I'm sure this must have been discussed before, but why is UA not freeing up seats when other airlines are?

It sounds like they are shooting themselves in the foot when they have to fork out real dollars to another airline.

Or, have I just got it wrong?
Old Mar 30, 2009, 6:01 am
MGG

Originally Posted by Grace B
I'm sure this must have been discussed before, but why is UA not freeing up seats when other airlines are?

It sounds like they are shooting themselves in the foot when they have to fork out real dollars to another airline.

Or, have I just got it wrong?
Could it be that United is waiting til June when the price if an upgrade increases (more miles and more $$) and then they will break open the inventory? Just a sense I have
Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:00 am

FT is awesome!

I just got upgraded using e500's for this weeks' flights, SFO-ORD and return. I am in first on the 757 SFO-ORD and now in business in a 777 ORD-SFO. I just used e500's for this.

This is incredible. Before I knew about flyertalk, I had NO clue what e500's were for other than they just showed up in my account. I just let them expire, not knowing how to use them. I have never, ever flown business class until Sep 2008 in my entire life!

Now, I am in business or first on every single flight this year except for TED flights! It is incredible because I am not spending that much more money (somewhat more with upgradable fares for international travel, and extending some trips to get more miles), but I am traveling so much better. It's like the ads for that "first class flyer" website which tells us that the people who fly at the front of the plane aren't the richest; they're the smartest. It is so true.

It is truely amazing what FT has done for my traveling, and United is absolutely awesome in allowing us to upgrade so many flights! I love FT! ^
Old Mar 30, 2009, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
How are upgrades looking to CDG over the summer?

I may want to take a summer trip to Paris and burn my last SWUs.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
I just got upgraded using e500's for this weeks' flights, SFO-ORD and return. I am in first on the 757 SFO-ORD and now in business in a 777 ORD-SFO. I just used e500's for this.

This is incredible. Before I knew about flyertalk, I had NO clue what e500's were for other than they just showed up in my account. I just let them expire, not knowing how to use them. I have never, ever flown business class until Sep 2008 in my entire life!

Now, I am in business or first on every single flight this year except for TED flights! It is incredible because I am not spending that much more money (somewhat more with upgradable fares for international travel, and extending some trips to get more miles), but I am traveling so much better. It's like the ads for that "first class flyer" website which tells us that the people who fly at the front of the plane aren't the richest; they're the smartest. It is so true.

It is truely amazing what FT has done for my traveling, and United is absolutely awesome in allowing us to upgrade so many flights! I love FT! ^
^ I am glad things are working out for you and sorry it took you so long to figure out how to take advantage of your 1K perks. Did you let your SWU's go to waste as well in the past or did you just make 1K?
Old Mar 30, 2009, 3:28 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Benny8444
How are upgrades looking to CDG over the summer?

I may want to take a summer trip to Paris and burn my last SWUs.
NC space is out there, especially eastbound. I'm going to Paris in August and am thinking of burning my last SWU's as well...but fares are about $1300 ex-IAD. I'm hoping prices will fall over the next few weeks. Meanwhile, I already have a business class award ticket so I'm set either way.

It was a pleasure meeting you on Saturday!
Old Mar 30, 2009, 5:04 pm

I noticed that a bunch of XC/NC seemed to open up in the last couple of weeks over the holidays to Japan (late Dec - Mid Jan). Had no trouble getting Mrs. FMTK XC seats and NC seats for me. In fact there was more XC availability than NC in many cases -- even on the same flights. Other than poor web programming, this still doesn't make much sense to me Either way, seemed like lots of options, even though ANA's and UA's computer systems don't seem to communicate very well.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Upgrades are certainly more frequent for me. I've cleared on 4 of 15 segments (all between ORD-ATL or ORD-LGA) so far this year. I'm actually out of e500's (although I should have 4 more deposited after my flight yesterday, assuming it's based on EQM and not BIS miles). I was upgraded just twice all of last year.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flymetokix
...even though ANA's and UA's computer systems don't seem to communicate very well.
What do you mean ? Is ANA not showing UA availability or or something else ?

I use ANA every day to check on UA and *A availability, so it would be great to know what to watch out for.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
What do you mean ? Is ANA not showing UA availability or or something else ?

I use ANA every day to check on UA and *A availability, so it would be great to know what to watch out for.
A few days ago I was trying to book an upgradeable round trip revenue ticket from the U.S. to ITM on UA via NRT (NRT-ITM and ITM-NRT would be on NH). On the return, despite the fact that I easily booked Mrs. FMTK on the ITM-NRT flight we wanted as an award ticket, UA couldn't sell me the revenue ticket on that segment (in any class of service -- and the UA 1K desk did seem to try everything .... I do give them credit for trying, supervisors included). Called NH, tons of availability -- agents were as perplexed as those at UA why it wouldn't book through the UA agents. Ended up booking a one-way for the segment through NH after wasting too much time. Worked out fine in the end except for the wasted time.

I am not sure that this is at all a persistent problem to "watch out for" -- but I was fed up when I wrote the earlier post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.