Wiki Posts
Search

Using M&M miles for upgrade on UA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2009, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
Question Using M&M miles for upgrade on UA

I'm having a business trip on UA803 (IAD-NRT) in May. I would've been in C if this was paid by my company, but this trip is supported by a Japanese funding agency that only pays discount coach fare for people in my position, so I decided to use my M&M miles to get upgraded on the UA flight.

I managed to book an H fare ticket (lowest possible fare to get an upgrade award on UA) and called Senator desk to have them issue a certificate and call UA for availability. They said it takes a couple of days to hear back from UA, and three days later I was told that the award is not currently available on the flight (indeed united.com says NC0), but they will mail the certificate anyway and I have to be waitlisted at the airport.

I have a few questions:
1) Is there any possibility that my upgrade is cleared before the flight date? Or in other words, is UA aware that I'm trying to get upgraded?
2) The agent said that, if my upgrade didn't clear, I can only use my certificate on another IAD-NRT flight (not on other US-Japan routes) due to UA's rule: is this true?
3) Is there anything I can do other than just waiting with fingers crossed?
4) I have my M&M number on file now but I'm thinking of switching to MP because I'll be flying on UA more. Would changing the FF number to MP (no status) help?

Sorry if anyone has already posted similar questions (I did a search but only found the other way around: using UA miles for an upgrade on LH), and thank you in advance for any help.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Have you searched the M&M forum? You might have better luck finding the answers there since you're using their miles, so the upgrade would be subject to their rules.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Have you searched the M&M forum? You might have better luck finding the answers there since you're using their miles, so the upgrade would be subject to their rules.
Yes, but nothing helpful.

I though about posting to M&M forum, but it looks to me that M&M is off the hook once they've issued the certificate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.