IAD to HNL in E+-Will I Survive?

Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:02 am
Original Poster

UA is running some great coach fares in April from IAD to HNL. Has anyone ever "gone all the way" in E+? If so, descriptions would be appreciated. First is not an option, unfortunately.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by JetAway
UA is running some great coach fares in April from IAD to HNL. Has anyone ever "gone all the way" in E+? If so, descriptions would be appreciated. First is not an option, unfortunately.
I am sure there are people out there who travel from the East Coast to Hawaii in COACH and who make it fine, enjoy their vacation and return with happy memories.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Hundreds (thousands?) make it a week.

I've done it. It's not so bad. Try to get an exit row.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:11 am

IAD-HNL is 4,817 miles. Add in a few miles for a stop in ORD/DEN/SFO/LAX.

That's shorter than many transoceanic routes, and miraculously people survive those, even in E-.

What kind of "description" do you want?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

UA is running some great coach fares in April from IAD to HNL.
I was looking an hour back at IAD-HNL April 4/5 to waste some time instead sitting at an airport hotel.

The lowest fare is $US2,727.

I can fly to Australia TWICE for that money ex IAD

Where are you seeing "low" fares?

I just want to rack up about 10,000 miles over that weekend to anywhere but prices ex IAD look pretty terrible.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I did ORD-OGG in E+ with a 2.5 year old.

It was easy.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
I flown IAD-NRT (non stop) multiple times in E+ and I am height and width challenged

This was always on a 777 - I do not know how it is on other aircraft.

I pick a isle seat near the back of E+ (25A) so it is convenient to get up and stand in the exit/lav area and not block the isle too much. For me sitting for a long time - whether in E+ or F is the hard part.

I was never much for exit rows - the reduced width due to the tray in the armrest is always a deal breaker for me. I'm a little over 6' and have never had an issue with any E+ seat I've been in; I can stretch my legs straight when there is nothing under the seat in front of me so having 3 feet does nothing for me.

Originally Posted by ozstamps
I was looking an hour back at IAD-HNL April 4/5 to waste some time instead sitting at an airport hotel.

I just want to rack up about 10,000 miles over that weekend to anywhere but prices ex IAD look pretty terrible.
Lots of mid-week fares in the mid $400's

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 19, 2009 at 8:55 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA

You're looking on a weekend. Try not looking on a weekend.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:38 am

Programs: UA, NW
I've flown ORD-NRT and ORD-KIX a few times in E+. I look for a seat on the side on the 777 or, as a last resort, an aisle seat in the middle section.

Twice I've had both side section seats to myself. That makes for an almost pleasant trip.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:39 am

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz

Why don't you come back and report if you survive the trip.

In reality, as all other posters have said people do it every day and they come out of it just fine. If you are really that spoiled (and I apologize if your reasons for asking such question are medical) why don't you try to upgrade to FC. Even e500s will work in this case and CR1 would for sure be a better guarantee of securing FC seat.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TechnoPagan

Lots of mid-week fares in the mid $400's
Sadly I only have Sat/Sun/Mon in IAD.

Anywhere else a long waysssssssssssss that looks cheap early April you have seen?

Don't want Moscow as the Visa costs so much for a transit stop.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Sadly I only have Sat/Sun/Mon in IAD.

Anywhere else a long waysssssssssssss that looks cheap early April you have seen?

Don't want Moscow as the Visa costs so much for a transit stop.
How about SYD .
Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I've done same-day turn MR ORD-HNL-ORD, and it's quite "survivable". Just make sure to eat before or bring your own food as it's domestic so BOB/deli stuff only. Of course from IAD, you'll have a stop. Also, 16ABHJ helps on the 777 2-class (if that's what you're taking), although I tend to prefer the windows to avoid getting bumped by people heading to the lavs.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gengar
Also, 16ABHJ helps.
Doesn't that depends on the plane?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies (and comments). Yes, I am spoiled but in the "new economy" I must adjust and E+ seems the way to go. I was simply looking for any insiders tips as to best seats, etc. for a long trip like this. I will report back if I don't survive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.