Open jaw definition?

Old Mar 19, 09, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Hertz PC, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold
Open jaw definition?

Is an open jaw only A-B then C-A (start/return to same point, with a gap somewhere en route) or can it be a return to a different airport? I.e. can I book an award ticket out of SEA returning to LAX? Or does that break a rule somewhere?

Thanks!
Old Mar 19, 09, 7:52 am

Open jaw refers to a trip that begins and ends in the same place, with a gap in between, e.g. LAX-JFK and IAD-LAX. Your example of starting in SEA and ending in LAX would constitute two one-way trips.
Old Mar 19, 09, 7:55 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
You could do SEA - JFK, JFK - LAX as an open jaw, but not SEA- SFO, SFO-LAX because the open leg is longer than either of the other two.

In other words, the open leg must be shorter than the other two legs, as it is in my first example.

Also, you can't cross regions.

So, SEA-NRT, SYD-SEA is not acceptable. Can't do SEA - HNL, SYD - SEA.

Also, co-terminals don't count for open jaws.

For example, LAX-ORD, ORD-BUR is considered a round trip not open jaw, since Burbank and LA are co-terminals.
Old Mar 19, 09, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold Card holder; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
There are two types of open jaw. A-B/C-A and B-A-C. As Delta3MM describes, B and C must be in the same region and B-C must be shorter than either A-B or A-C. So, the following are both valid:

JFK-SFO/LAX-JFK
SFO-JFK-LAX
Old Mar 19, 09, 8:24 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by LAXGUY View Post
Open jaw refers to a trip that begins and ends in the same place, with a gap in between, e.g. LAX-JFK and IAD-LAX. Your example of starting in SEA and ending in LAX would constitute two one-way trips.
Actually the OP's example does also qualify. You can either begin and end at the same place, or begin and end in different cities as long as the open part of the jaw is the shortest segment (as the other poster said).
Old Mar 19, 09, 10:07 am

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; ko-kr) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Originally Posted by LAXGUY View Post
Actually the OP's example does also qualify. You can either begin and end at the same place, or begin and end in different cities as long as the open part of the jaw is the shortest segment (as the other poster said).
This is my understanding as well.
Old Mar 19, 09, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Also be aware of co-terminals, as they bypass what would otherwise be an open jaw in certain cases (e.g. out of OAK and back to SFO is technically an open jaw, but is not considered such for fare construction).
Old Apr 16, 09, 4:06 pm

Programs: Delta, United Gold, American
How exactly are the distances for all segments measured? Say I want to fly the following with a Star Alliance award:

CPT-JNB-CAI-DXB stop DXB-SIN-AKL-PPT

How is the distance from CPT to PPT calculated? Simply as the crow flies or by the most direct routing of actual flights? What is the exact definition of shortest segment?

I'm trying to figure out if I can nest such a routing inside a US-CPT...PPT-US award ticket from another airline.

As an alternative, would the following work?:

CPT-JNB-PER....SYD-AKL-PPT

Last edited by kahuna613; Apr 16, 09 at 4:12 pm
Old Apr 16, 09, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold/AS Gold
Originally Posted by kahuna613 View Post
How exactly are the distances for all segments measured? Say I want to fly the following with a Star Alliance award:

How is the distance from CPT to PPT calculated? Simply as the crow flies or by the most direct routing?

I'm trying to figure out if I can nest such a routing inside a US-CPT...PPT-US award ticket from another airline.

How did you get a *A award to PPT? Or am I reading this wrong?
Old Apr 16, 09, 4:14 pm

This is just a possibility (I haven't redeemed anything yet), but I thought you could use MP miles to redeem on NZ to PPT. Am I wrong?
Old Apr 16, 09, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold Card holder; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
I thought you could use MP miles to redeem on NZ to PPT. Am I wrong?
You can if you can find the space.

How is the distance from CPT to PPT calculated?
Basically, the Great Circle distance. 8,804 miles.

That's two one-ways.
Old Apr 16, 09, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA
Where can you find how they define a region ?
Old Apr 16, 09, 6:47 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by UNITEDBRENT View Post
Where can you find how they define a region ?
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,58,00.html
Old Apr 16, 09, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA Platinum

How is the distance from CPT to PPT calculated? Simply as the crow flies or by the most direct routing of actual flights? What is the exact definition of shortest segment?

You can do an open jaw or a stopover but not both.

Edit: after re-reading this I may have misunderstood the post to mean that there are multiple stops along the way; but my advice remains the same. For that routing to qualify you must be in transit for all of those sectors except for CAI-DXB and DXB-SIN.
Old Apr 16, 09, 6:57 pm

Per the previous definitions of open jaw, there's no way to start and end in different regions?