Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Using a United travel voucher for upgrades at check-in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2009, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Plat, TK *Gold, SV Silver, HH Diamond

I was given a $250 voucher due to some problems on United flights last December. Since I travel mostly for work, I've not wanted to use it when booking flights. Can I use it if I'm offered one of those paid upgrades to C on an upcoming trip? I am BD*G and UA3P, though I'm crediting to BD. Anyone know if I'll get the C miles in such a scenario?

Thanks!
Old Mar 19, 2009, 6:55 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
You can't use a travel voucher to pay for UFC.

Some have reported UFC booking into the higher class of service, but this is not a definite.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Aha, OK. If I were to manage to trade it for an SWU, could I then upgrade my LHR-SFO or SFO-LHR? Would I then get the higher class, or def no no?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 9:04 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Only if your fare is eligible for upgrade. Also, one SWU is good for one-way only.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Saracenn
Would I then get the higher class, or def no no?
You earn miles based on your paid fare. If you bought Coach and upgraded, you earn miles for Coach regardless of how you got upgraded. (Unless the agent messes up, of course.)
Old Mar 21, 2009, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

The voucher is a "Systemwide Travel Voucher" for $250

It's got my name on it, but it has a space to write in a "Passenger last name", which suggests it can be used for someone else.

On the back it says that I have to present the voucher in person to a ticketing agent. But then under ticketing it says that you can redeem it using United's Electronic Ticketing or travel professional. It does say the voucher cannot be redeemed on the Internet.

Is this basically useless then unless I'm willing to go to the airport and book in person? I always book on the website. Is there any chance I could get them to change the voucher to something more useful?
Old Mar 21, 2009, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Is this basically useless then unless I'm willing to go to the airport and book in person?
No, you can book on the phone and send the voucher by mail. If you are ticketing for someone else, then you may need to also send a copy of your driver's license to "prove" that it's really you redeeming the voucher, and not someone who stole it.

BTW, you should not be charged the phone or in-person booking fee when redeeming the voucher - the fee is waived for voucher redemption.

Is there any chance I could get them to change the voucher to something more useful?
Possibly, but you'd have to write Customer Relations and ask for an e-cert. There's no guarantee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.