Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NC to F Op-ups on UA895 (hkg-sin)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2009, 5:50 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
very nicely done cricketer ^^^ and yes, as others have posted, you best go play those numbers even if it means an e-mail back to the states for someone to play them for you

Originally Posted by ctkw
Originally Posted by unavaca
(Excuse the newbie..) what's an "op-up"? Operational upgrade?
Bingo
and to add, something rare & pleasurable which makes you feel on top of the world but always unexpected...
Old Mar 18, 2009, 6:07 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by work2fly
Not necessarily

We have a resident GA here on FT who does it by fare paid, excluding Y since he/she assumes any bookings in Y were a result of irrops. Said GA has stated many times that UA does not have published rules on how to prioritize op ups such that it's totally up to the GA's discretion.

YMMV as has mine
And that is the primary reason I am not loyal to UA. This is one area I expect status to trump most other reasons, specially the argument above. I have flown on Y fares from LAX to LHR, so not sure if thats a great assumption that it was due to an iirop.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 6:24 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by cricketer
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

The gods are smiling on me today. Not only do I finally have the new config at the fifth attempt (on ua 869 sfo-hkg) but all three of us (mrs and jr) have been op-upped from NC to F on ua 895 hkg-sin -- my first ever op up in my life, if I'm not mistaken.

I wonder how the 2.75 year old will take to sitting all by herself in new F :-)
In other words, you were denied yet another opportunity to fly the new C seat. 5 for 6 now.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Lifetime Gold, starting AK, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by ctkw
Wow, NC to F for all three,
Well, they could hardly leave the little one back in C!

Anyone want to start a pool on how long it takes before we see a new thread:
'Stuck Near 33-month-old in F, UA 895 HKG-SIN'
Old Mar 18, 2009, 6:30 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by work2fly
We have a resident GA here on FT who does it by fare paid, excluding Y since he/she assumes any bookings in Y were a result of irrops. Said GA has stated many times that UA does not have published rules on how to prioritize op ups such that it's totally up to the GA's discretion.

YMMV as has mine
IMO, doing it by fare paid and excluding the highest fare is a really, really, bad policy. If the GA wants to play favorites with the high-fare passengers, s/he should at least pay enough attention to determine who the high-fare passengers are, and try to figure out whether pax booked in Y were ticketed in Y or were rebooked from irrops. It doesn't take that long to open the record and look, and by not doing it, you will occasionally screw over the highest-paying passengers on the plane.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by zakami
And that is the primary reason I am not loyal to UA. This is one area I expect status to trump most other reasons, specially the argument above. I have flown on Y fares from LAX to LHR, so not sure if thats a great assumption that it was due to an iirop.
It may depend on the station, but as a 1k flying LHR-IAD I have a greater than 40% op-up rate when booked in W.... I have a feeling they do it by status.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K- RCC
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
It may depend on the station, but as a 1k flying LHR-IAD I have a greater than 40% op-up rate when booked in W.... I have a feeling they do it by status.
Wow very interesting! Something to consider when C looks low and Y is packed when I am on a SWU LHR-IAD, though I am generally happy getting what I pay for (using SWUs).

Congrats to the OP ^ I hope the child remembers it
Old Mar 18, 2009, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by zakami
You would think UA is the only one they don't sometimes op up not according to status. I had op upped twice with CX Y to C on LAX-HKG as general member of AA ! Do you really think they are out of CX and one world elites to op up ?
Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:50 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
In the last 5 years of flying UA on their international routes I've been op-up from NC to F 3x. Ironically all ex-HKG. 2x HKG-SIN and 1x HKG-NRT. The last time I was up op-up HKG-SIN in November 2008 I selected a reverse biz facing seat to try it out but ended up being op-up to F. Fortunately I was able to try it out last month to get a feel of how it is to fly with a reverse facing seat.

Once again no rhyme or reason as to why I got an op-up from NC-F. When I was in HKG earlier this month I was told they often op-up from C->F to allow people in Y to use miles or other upgrade instruments to upgrade to C.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by kluau88
Fortunately I was able to try it out last month to get a feel of how it is to fly with a reverse facing seat.
What was your impression?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sitting in the TG First Lounge in HKG at the moment, awaiting the next flight. Worth noting that I (1k) was on a separate PNR from the other two (both 1P), so getting all three op-upped really is impressive in my book!

Just to ad to my good day - after several years, I finally spotted someone's signature in Hemispheres... now if someone spots mine today, I don't know if there's anything left for me to live for.

CollegeFlyer - thanks for bringing me back down to earth, you're right, 5 out of 6 it is!
Old Mar 19, 2009, 4:19 am

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
I understand GA can do virtually anything they want to within reason, but isn't there rule saying double upgrades are big no-no?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 9:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by unavaca
Thanks Are these free upgrades granted due to overbooking in lower classes? I'm guessing they pick these based upon status?
They *should* go by paid class first. So paid Business should be op-upped before anyone in upgraded Business. It's beyond absurd that the OP and his entire family, including small child, were op-upped from NC. If I were in paid C, I would be furious.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 9:52 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
So paid Business should be op-upped before anyone in upgraded Business.
Agree here. As I said no rhyme or reason why I have been op-up 3x ex-HKG.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K
What is the final word?

Originally Posted by kkjay77
I understand GA can do virtually anything they want to within reason, but isn't there rule saying double upgrades are big no-no?
That's what I thought. NC cannot be upgraded to F, even for cash. Some people say this is starting to happen, some people say there is no way this can happen. Are the rules for this changing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.