bumped by LH gate agent on UA code share

Old Mar 16, 2009, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by ryan182
Bottom line if your or your partners computer screws up I don't see that as much of my problem
I broadly agree! It seems that likely the person booking the ticket, UA, and LH are all somewhat at fault for this problem not being caught.

To me the passenger is the least at fault. For one thing, surely this is not a one passenger only mistake. This must happen or have happened in the past to other non-FT flyers.

Fundamentally, if a passenger can get all the way to being ticketed and to having a boarding pass, then I don't see how things that should apply to ticketing (fare rules, routing rules, alliance partnerships) are fairly invoked to deny a passenger already en-route.

That being said, we don't make the rules. Would be really great for us all and the OP if someone who has had a similarly awful experience could come forward with their resolution.

As someone looking to travel abroad a lot more starting next year, this thread has me quite worried about the complications of international itineraries.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is an error fare. The ticket was issued in contravention of fare rules. Try booking this itinerary with a human TA and see what happens. Note: I am just kidding. You will probably get airlines to fix this error. Not a good idea.

We have discussed the airlines' obligations in the case of error fares ad nauseam in various threads.@:-)
Old Mar 17, 2009, 12:43 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
So, far from making a mistake as some have surmised, in reality, LH went out of its way to proactively help the pax. ^^^ to LH.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH-FTL;CX-silver, ROP-G
Originally Posted by gbsfo
The OP states this was an IATA YY fare. LH does not participate in IATA YY fares. I am not sure how this would play when booked under a UA code on LH metal, but I would imagine it could have caused issues.

E
Hi ,this is the fare code which was provided under fare rules-i cant read it its for experts only I guess

1 - psgr p1 adt rules display
fare component 1 adt selfra yy f pu 1 n
fcl: f trf:2307 rule: x108 bk: f
ptc: adt-adult ftc: fu -first class unrestricted
ru.rule application
normal fares between europe and japan/korea-rep.of-korea-
dem.rep. of-via ap

1 - psgr p1 adt rules display
fare component 2 adt frasel yy f pu 1 n
fcl: f trf:2307 rule: x108 bk: f
ptc: adt-adult ftc: fu -first class unrestricted
ru.rule application
normal fares between europe and japan/korea-rep.of-korea-
dem.rep. of-via ap
Old Mar 17, 2009, 6:19 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
My guess is UA's garbage website incorrectly booked the ticket. If you were booked in F or A on LH, LH wouldn have flown you. Unless it was a IDB situation, in which case your friend is owed THOUSANDS of $ by EU law. Another example of UA not providing what they happily take your money for.
On the other hand, $6600 is suspiciously cheap for F R/T. Could be .bomb booked F part of the way and C the rest (I've gotten C/Y combinations before for no apparent reason that I noticed when I tried to select seats).
Old Mar 17, 2009, 9:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boghopper
On the other hand, $6600 is suspiciously cheap for F R/T. Could be .bomb booked F part of the way and C the rest (I've gotten C/Y combinations before for no apparent reason that I noticed when I tried to select seats).
That was what I was saying, but it seems the mistake .bomb made was applying a YY fare to an LH segment. Again, clearly a UA mistake and not an LH one, as predicted.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:19 am
Original Poster

That was what I was saying, but it seems the mistake .bomb made was applying a YY fare to an LH segment. Again, clearly a UA mistake and not an LH one, as predicted.
Then the UA website is misleading booking pax!
My friend (She is OZ-Gold) should thank LH for providing a seat I guess.
My friend is now back in Korea- the way back all in F class (UA & OZ metal) no problems!

I just did a dummy booking ICN-LAX-FRA rt for April on the UA website.
You find still the F-class fare (unrestricted) of approx 5100 Euro=6600 USD !

Last edited by busyLHflyer; Mar 17, 2009 at 10:27 am
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by busyLHflyer
Then the UA website is misleading!
My friend (She is OZ-Gold) should thank LH for providing a seat I guess.
My friend is now back in Korea- the way back all in F class (UA & OZ metal) no problems!
UA and OZ participate in YY fares, LH doesn't. @:-) However, the routing is still not valid. Agents don't usually check routing at the airport. This is an error fare.

You can complain to UA and you may receive some goodwill compensation based on website error. However, you risk getting this fare blocked for all future travel if someone looks into this routing closely.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by TerryK
UA and OZ participate in YY fares, LH doesn't. @:-) However, the routing is still not valid. Agents don't usually check routing at the airport. This is an error fare.

You can complain to UA and you may receive some goodwill compensation based on website error. However, you risk getting this fare blocked for all future travel if someone looks into this routing closely.
I dont think she will complain after arriving home with OZ hospitality ex LAX-
She will avoid LAX as transit point at all -flying via SIN or HKG to Germany is a smoother and still cheaper alternative
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I don't think it's a UA mistake. Expedia and Travelocity are offering the same fare. Do the three use the same basic search engine?
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zrs70
I don't think it's a UA mistake.
Yes, it is.

Expedia and Travelocity are offering the same fare.
Then they're making the same mistake.

Do the three use the same basic search engine?
Dunno. Don't care. UA sold the ticket. UA made the mistake. OP's friend is lucky LH even let him/her on.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Do you work for LH? Or fly with them enough that you are used to their ways? Even if all of this was UA's fault, LH did a poor job of communicating with the pax. They certainly didn't catch the problem until after BPs had been issued. Going out of their way proactively would have been to work with their *A partner UA to get her into F on a UA flight or work out payment with UA so she could continue on her booked itinerary. I think we all agree that the pax didn't do anything wrong, error fare or not.

So, far from making a mistake as some have surmised, in reality, LH went out of its way to proactively help the pax. ^^^ to LH.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold 0.5 MM; BA Silver
Here is the truth:

i) The fare is not an error. The same fare is filed with both EH and TATL MPMs. Hence you can legitimately use the fare to fly SEL-FRA the long way. This is also not limited to SEL-FRA fares.
ii) The fare is "cheap" because of the exchange rate, as is the case for many ex-ICN fares right now.
iii) It is not a UA specific mistake. You can book these on many booking engines and get LH metal under a codeshare. In this case though, the error would lay with the TA, in this case UA, for ticketing an invalid ticket.
iv) LH could have (and probably should have) denied boarding as opposed to the downgrade. I see no reason for a downgrade. If LH were willing to accept the coupon they should have transported the pax in the ticketed class. Pax may have a case for EU comp, although it would be a fight.

Nuff said.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:35 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
Maybe I am dense

I may have this all wrong since I do not fly on code shares very often or at all. But the way I see it is like this:
i) Ticket was purchased from UA for 1st class, and it just happened to include a LH code share.
ii) UA has a code sharing agreement with LH that allows them to sell tickets on each others airlines. For this each airline pays the other a fee for transporting those passengers based on class of service (not fare class).
iii) The passenger did not buy a ticket from LH, but had a F boarding pass most likely from UA for the LH portion of their ticket.
iiii) Why is this the fault of the passenger? LH should have transported them in 1st and billed UA for whatever additional fees they required.

As some have pointed out LH should not have transported this passenger at all, if the ticket was not valid. But they did so and in my mind doing so makes it a valid ticket.

I do not see how the conversation about YY fares is even relavent, the passenger bought a UA ticket with a code share. All compensation between airlines is covered under the codeshare agreement between the airlines.

While I am a fan of LH, I think they dropped the ball on this one and should be faced with a in-voluntary downgrade charge.

Last edited by swanscn; Mar 17, 2009 at 2:27 pm
Old Mar 17, 2009, 12:13 pm
hch

Originally Posted by TerryK
UA participates in YY fares, LH doesn't. This information is published in the GDS and can be looked up by TA.@:-)

The problem seems to be that UA computer mistakenly booked her on YY fare operated by LH (nothing new here ). It is not valid. This still doesn't explain how this routing, which is almost 40% over MPM, can be booked at all.
AFAIK LH not participating in the IATA YY system means those fares are not available on LH flight numbers, but they are available on codeshares on LH metal. Maybe the agent casuing the issues for the OP was not aware of that, or the policy changed without proper communication to everyone involved. Very nasty situation indeed, and I would complain to LH about it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.