Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO RCC Int'l gates

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2001, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
SFO RCC Int'l gates

This is so good that it just had to be shared.

The SFO RCC located by the international gates is great.

It's big.
It's new.
Free food ie. finger sandwiches and big cookies/cakes.
Ghiradelli chocolates by the entrance desk.

And it's just a 5 minute walk from the security check points by the gates in the low 70's.

Dan
Old Jun 4, 2001, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Is this outside of Int'l Security?
Most of my flying this year has been on the
Sh*ttle, which tends to leave from those gates. I will have to check this out....
JD
Old Jun 4, 2001, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You must pass though security then take an immediate right.
Old Jun 4, 2001, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
It's in the international security area, but you do not need to have an int'l boarding pass to enter (at least not last month) - I think they want people to shop.

Concur that it's great - finger sandwiches, etc.

Greg
Old Jun 4, 2001, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1PMM,AAG; usedtobeelite
It's a good walk from the Sh*ttle gates but is well worth it. You have to leave the main secured area and walk the corridor to the international terminal, go through security again and turn right to enter. Opens at 8:30 am. Next door to the Singapore Airlines lounge.

Two large areas divided by the service desk, all on the second floor. Bar on one end, workstations at the other end. Two television lounge areas. Two areas with snacks...real sandwiches. Large displays of cooled beverages and lots of bottles of water before flights.
Old Jun 4, 2001, 9:38 pm
RAD

Location: Denver, CO USA UA_Premier Exec, Hilton Gold,Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by dhammer53:
Ghiradelli chocolates by the entrance desk.</font>
Ghiradelli chocolates??? How the heck did I miss those????

RAD
Old Jun 4, 2001, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Platinum
You definitely do not need a ticket to enter the international area -- it's quick and easy. The airport is actively encouraging anyone and everyone to go into the new international terminal, because the shops and restaurants are not getting as much business as they had hoped. It's truly a nice building, including the RCC, and the walk from the domestic terminal is fast and easy.

I clocked the walk at about 3 minutes from the main security checkpoint in the domestic terminal to the international RCC.
Old Jun 5, 2001, 2:51 am
EPS

Programs: UA 1P; HHonors Silver
RAD: Ghirardelli chocolate squares are usually at the concierge desk (all SFO RCCs, not just International). They don't put them with the other snacks.
Old Jun 5, 2001, 10:06 am
SST

You know, this club is great, but it's a total disaster that UA runs at SFO otherwise. Last week, in order to try to change a UX ticket from one airport to another nearby (to save a 2 hour layover), I got sent in from the Miserable commuter terminal to the Customer Service desk at the hub by the shuttle gates. Surprise: 5:30 pm and no one manning it! Also, the RCC is shuttered! So I trudged out the long walk to the front check in area: HUGE lines! When I got to the counter person, NO FAVORS was the response on my request to change airport destinations. Digusted, I walked over to AA (since I was out at the street anyway) and purposefully switched my flight to them, and they happily took my UA ticket even-up.

UA's explanation: "Oh we shut that at 4:30 because of a staff shortage". Great, but my PremEx service also got shut off due to the rigid stance of the ticketing folks. It will not be forgotten that I HAVE a choice...(life's too short to spend it all in airports!)
Old Jun 5, 2001, 8:40 pm
RAD

Location: Denver, CO USA UA_Premier Exec, Hilton Gold,Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by EPS:
RAD: Ghirardelli chocolate squares are usually at the concierge desk (all SFO RCCs, not just International). They don't put them with the other snacks.</font>
EPS:

Thank you! I'll have to grab a couple of extra ones next time to make up for the ones I missed.

RAD
Old Jun 5, 2001, 11:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Ghirardelli has been bought (about a year ago) by the swiss chocolate manufacturer 'Lindt & Sprüngli'.
Old Jun 6, 2001, 10:25 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by SST:
Also, the RCC is shuttered!</font>
Yes and no. The RCC upstairs from the Premier checkin at the North terminal is still open. However, the gate-area RCC in the North terminal has been temporarily closed while it undergoes a huge expansion and renovation. When it is complete, United will close the checkin-area RCC.

The idea is to replace the old two RCCs in the domestic terminal with one new large one. It will be a welcome improvement from the awful old RCC near the gates, though I will miss the quieter RCC upstairs from the checkin.
Old Jun 7, 2001, 1:52 pm
SST

GGlockner: Yes, I agree that the RCC at the gates was poor. In fact, I've kept from buying an RCC membership for several years, since my infrequent visits with overseas business class taught me it was crowded, noisy and unpleasant. I'll have to look up over the premiere checkin now. My real gripe was the inability of anybody, ANYBODY, short of the street to give me the OK to change airport destinations (which is pretty commonplace with cancelled flights). No Customer Service desk, no RRC, and then after the trudge (I was, unluckily, on crutches that day, too) an attempt to charge me $80 to make the change rather than wait at SFO for 3 hours----- that was too much.

I chose to inquire at American's desk, and I was simply told "Sure" and sent on with new boarding passes. The lesson is not lost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.