Using SWU on V Fare FRA to ORD

Old Feb 12, 01, 9:21 am
mab

Programs: UA GS 2Million, Marriott PP & LTPP, Amtrak Select Exec
Most of the int'l deep discount fare rules now say something like "Except for 1K system upgrades" right before the usual boilerplate about upgrades not being permitted.
Old Feb 12, 01, 10:37 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally posted by tfung:
The point I'm trying to make here is that even for V class fares, they are different prices and different rules. For example, a V class fare from let's say BOS to BKK roundtrip costs about $700 if you buy it directly from UAL. However, the same V class fare if bought from a consolidator or travel agent could be as low as $600. The difference of the two is that the later MIGHT not be upgradable. To get yourself upgraded, you might have to buy yourself an H fare from the travel agent. Which might be about $750. So it really depends.....
There are too many different issues going on on this thread.

1.) Rules and enforcement are two different creatures.
2.) Consolidator fares are usually not published fares. Fare basis often don't correspond to booking class. ie. M fare booked in Q. According to the rules, nothing would upgrade it ,(refer to point 1).
3.) Published V fares are upgradeable with SWUs unless otherwise stated (refer to point 1).
4.) Published V fares are not upgradeable with miles (refer to point 1).
Old Feb 12, 01, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
I want to thank everyone for their comments.

I received a reply from the web support people, and they said it is not upgradable, period. I guess this means they deleted the extra wording about the fare conditions on the old SWUs for the new SWUs because it was not needed as the "except" conditions can be derived from the fare rules.

The fare on the United German web site is similar to the e-fares offered on the USA website. The main difference being the fares on the German website run until April rather than for just a few days.

FYI, consolidators do offer similar V fares for about 10% less than the internet fares offered by United, but also with the no upgrades permitted rule. So you can save 10% but no on-line booking bonus.

Old Feb 12, 01, 11:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally posted by ozstamps:
V = V = V = V = V

<snip>

what part of the above do you not understand?
"Never Uncertain, Often Wrong."

Old Feb 13, 01, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
chi1K .. did you ever book the fare and THEN phone the 1K # and upgrade it? 'Web support' are not the final authority, by a LONG way, as far as I am aware.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Feb 13, 01, 7:30 am

'Web support' are not the final authority, by a LONG way, as far as I am aware.
Right. That would be Ozstamps.
Old Feb 13, 01, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
V fare + SWU + 1K Line + persistence = Upgrade. Not so hard.
Old Feb 13, 01, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA 3MM CK, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, GP Courtesy Card, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally posted by ozstamps:
V fare + SWU + 1K Line + persistence = Upgrade. Not so hard.
I have to agree with OZ on this... even if it says on the ticket it's not upgradable.. persistence often works.. =)
Old Feb 14, 01, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Ozstamps,

I did not ticket at this fare. I fly enough coach class as it is, and I do not want to take the risk and not get the upgrade. For my next couple of flights I think I will fly US and use up my US SWUs as US has less restrictive fares for the same price. Since the UA and US programs will probably be merged, the miles will end up my MP account and count toward status next year.
Old Jun 7, 01, 9:13 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by chi1k:
Ozstamps,

I did not ticket at this fare. I fly enough coach class as it is, and I do not want to take the risk and not get the upgrade. For my next couple of flights I think I will fly US and use up my US SWUs as US has less restrictive fares for the same price. Since the UA and US programs will probably be merged, the miles will end up my MP account and count toward status next year.
</font>
Can one check for upgrade on a not ticketed reservation ?
Old Jun 7, 01, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond
If by "check" you mean inquire about upgrade availability, then the answer is yes. If you mean confirm an upgrade, then the answer in my experience is that UA won't confirm an upgrade prior to ticketing. Others may have better luck, though, so it's probably worth asking.
Old Jun 7, 01, 11:19 am

Back to the original point, I used an SWU on a Munich-IAD flight booked in V on the Germany site last week. It worked, I sat in C! If it worked for me, it likely will for you!
Old Jun 7, 01, 12:56 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by GregW:
Back to the original point, I used an SWU on a Munich-IAD flight booked in V on the Germany site last week. It worked, I sat in C! If it worked for me, it likely will for you!</font>
Did it say not upgradable in the fare rules ?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: