Int'l 1K Desk continues to disappoint

Old May 21, 2001, 12:41 am

Tonight's episode with UA 1K international agent almost made me speechless. As I was making a RTW reservation, parts of which contains two segments by CX, the agent said, "What is Cathay Pacific?" I said to her,"its CX, Cathay Pacific, don't you know?" To my great surprise, she was not only afraid to share her ignorance but went on to say "I have never heard of that airline, well, i am kind of new here." Welcome to the international 1K desk!

As I had second thoughts about telling her on the composition of the competitive alliance, I simply asked her to look up for
CX flight### in A class availability and told her about the fare basis. Well, she said its done. Half an hour later, I called CX reservation overseas ( where it is open )
in order to secure the seat assignment. Surprise, my reservation was NOT to be found.
The CX agent said it might sometimes take more time for the record to be transfered to their computer, but I can't help but feel suspicious of the newly assigned 1K agent.

I am now going to call back 1K desk and hopefully get another agent who could help.
In the mean time, I am so curious just what kind of training did she ever at all receive to be assigned to 1K international agent.
Old May 21, 2001, 12:59 am

Originally posted by Kaoru Kanetaka:
Tonight's episode with UA 1K international agent almost made me speechless.
I have had an Int'l 1K agent offer me a Shuttle flight to Europe once... ...which meant she didn't understand codeshare and (!) she didn't understand U2. I just thank them and tell them something just came up and I'll call back later.

Old May 22, 2001, 9:27 am

Originally posted by JohnnyGlobal:
After spending the last couple of weeks in Asia and dealing with more accommodating and helpful United Airlines reservations agents, I was slapped back to reality this evening when I called back to the U.S. to speak with the Int'l 1K Desk.

I was attempting to switch my Monday morning flight to Sunday morning. I am confirmed in NF on Monday, so I was calling to inquire as to whether there were any routes to ORD with NF space available for Sunday.

Two pieces of erroneous information that came out of the conversation:

1) the agent tells me that the number of first class seats available is CONFIDENTIAL information and that he can only tell if a flight is very full, moderately full, or lightly loaded for the First Class cabin. I asked him what he could tell me if I wanted to purchase several First Class seats on any flights tomorrow back to the U.S. and he just sort of chuckled and said, "well, I already know that you don't want to do that, so in this case I really couldn't tell you that information."

WHAT!?!?

I'm glad he apparently found my question humorous. I wasn't trying to be funny, but I guess that's how it came across.

Obviously recognizing what I was dealing with here, I dropped that point and simply asked him if he could tell me whether or not the loads to SFO or LAX were "very full, moderately full, or lightly loaded." He told me that LAX would give me a chance of getting my upgrade, but that I "should not get my hopes up because anyone who flew over (to Asia) on that flight has priority over me on the return flight for an upgrade."

Who in the h*ll trained this guy?!?!

When I told him that this was the first time any agent had ever explained upgrade rules and regulations to me in this way, he had no response. Just silence.

I thanked him, hung up, and called back (overseas long-distance again...because as good as the Asian reservations line are, they aren't open real late at night) and got an agent who would gladly tell me the number of seats available, and who was willing to call Revenue Management to see if they could clear the first segement (which didn't have NF available for tomorrow, but still had 7 unsold F seats).

Pretty tired of getting such unhelpful reservationists. Sometimes I half think UA puts their worst reservations agents on the Premier lines because we're the only UA flyers that really know all of the rules and who can correct agents who are in error. You Asia-based 1Ks are lucky to have more customer-friendly and knowledgeable reservations staff.
I actually work at the Intl 1K desk, and I do have to say the first bit of information is correct. Agents are not allowed to give out actual numbers of any sort regarding flts. They are not to give out how many rev or upgrades are on each flight. In regards to the other statement, that was incorrect. We do not keep a datebaase for upgrades so if you get one on the way out you will get one on the way back. However, if a cust is WL for an upgrade out of NRT/SFO/ORD if they are cleared in NRT then the CS agent would more then likely clear them all the way through to ORD. Especially if they are taking the first connecting flight from SFO. A little background on my experience, when I first came to the 1K Desk, I had just been out of traing about 4 months when I was put into INTL. If you have low seniority and they need people in the department, then you get put in there. I did want to go there, juast not so fast. But now that I have been there for a while, I love it and will not go back to any other department. And now I have advanced and now also become an INTL supervisor for the 1K Desk. If you have any questions you would like me to answer or look into, just let me know. Also we have just had a new INTL class come up on the floor, so please be patient with them. We all have to learn the ropes. Thanks everyone.
Old May 22, 2001, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA CK 2MM, DL DM 1MM, WN CP, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic3, Marriott Titanium Lftm, Hyatt GLB
Originally posted by UALRSSRDTWRR:
A little background on my experience, when I first came to the 1K Desk, I had just been out of traing about 4 months when I was put into INTL. If you have low seniority and they need people in the department, then you get put in there. I did want to go there, juast not so fast.
First off, welcome to this board! We've had a UA airport CSR and a 1K phone agent join within a short span to keep the UA FA regulars here company, and I think it's terrific to get information (and opinions) from someone who actually knows, rather than occasionally pompous frequent fliers like me who THINK we know!

I think your post is telling, and epitomizes the problem us 1Ks have with the 1K phone line in the US -- besides the awful hold times, of course. I'm sure you're very good, but just like UA's longhaul transoceanic flights are worked by the most experienced FAs and pilots, one would think UA puts its best agents in customer-facing positions to help its best customers. This isn't rocket science, it's basic sensible business.

Like many of the other 1Ks here, I'm astounded by the poor quality of agents we sometimes get on the 1K domestic or international lines. AA's second-tier Platinum line -- which I unfortunately do not use enough because my AA status is earned primarily via international longhauls on non-AA oneworld partners -- is far superior to UA's 1K line! I can only dream about how competent the EXP CSRs must be.

Let CSRs "earn" the privilege to work the 1K lines, as you yourself agree.
Old May 22, 2001, 9:56 am

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
UALRSSRDTWRR, in your experience, which desks (1k, PremEx, general reservations) have the most experienced agents? For the best service, on average, where should we call, assuming that all desks are open to us (including CSRs who don't do reservations, but can and do contact reservations on our behalf)?
Old May 22, 2001, 1:27 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UAL Traveler:
[b]UALRSSRDTWRR, in your experience, which desks (1k, PremEx, general reservations) have the most experienced agents

In all honesty you should contact the 1K Desk in Detroit. From 1K's I have spoken to and the records I have received from the other offices, Detroit does a better job in handling reservations the correct way. And I am not saying that just because I work there. I am totally honest in everything I do, including when I deal witht he customers on the phone. I will not fib, sugar coat and mislead anyone.
Old May 22, 2001, 1:43 pm

So how do you make sure that you get the one in Detroit. Also is it possible when you call to ask for a specific agent by name. There are a few that are just wonderful, and then there are others.
Old May 22, 2001, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
UALRSSRDTWRR, thank you very much for your prompt response. I took your advice and called the 1K res line, but as I am writing this, I have been on hold for about 10 minutes... and waiting... As I've been holding, I've noticed that the time between the 'Thank you for waiting, all representatives are still busy, please continue to hold and a representative will be with you shortly' announcements is 45 seconds. How is that for UA reducing a 1K to mindless activity Actually, I should note that in recent weeks the hold time has been quite reasonable, but I hope this is not a prelude of a repeat of the excrutiating hold times several months back, as discussed in UA IK Res-Line Problems.

I've been holding now for 15 minutes.

Now 20 minutes.

25 minutes and I've given up... for now. I may try again in a few days, but its back to customer relations for me.

BTW, I was under the impression that the only 1K international reservations center was in Detroit.
Old May 27, 2001, 9:38 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally posted by LHR Tim:
I must admit, the Dublin call centre has really come along in leaps and bounds over the years. I, too, will call overseas when I am in the US to sort things out, rather than call the toll free US Int'l desk, whose training manual seems to consist of one page on which the answer NO is printed.
Try this, Tim. I called the Dublin Premier number asking for upgrades on an itinerary (when I discovered I had an H fare). What does the guy (a native German by the sound of him) do but take the miles out of my account and remove all my seat assignments. If I hadn't checked on UC 3.0 a day later I'd not have noticed that not only did I not have my upgraded seat assignments, I didn't have any seat assignments..... Even the Irish guy I next contacted couldn't see what the problem was to begin with. He's fixed my seat assignments - now I'll have to check to see he hasn't taken another lot of miles out of my account.....
Old May 28, 2001, 1:14 am

Programs: AGR Select +
I must be lucky, but I have always received prompt and factual info from the 1K desk. I am still waiting on those 1K luggage tags that I keep seeing on FT. Has anyone recieved their tags?
Old May 28, 2001, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
UALRSSRDTWRR, Welcome to FT!

Are 1Ks allowed to request to be transferred to a particular 1K res agent? That's the way it works at AA at the EXP desk. If the agent is not there or with another customer, I can either work with whoever I drew randomly, or leave a message to get called back. I can also send a fax to the agent, although I've never done so.

I would suggest that United evaluate the benefits of a similar initiative. This approach generates fanatical loyalty from American's EXPs, including me. I no longer have status at UA, but many of my friends are 1K/1P, and they marvel at the CSR support I get.

(edited for spelling)

[This message has been edited by ElmhurstNick (edited 05-28-2001).]
Old May 28, 2001, 3:35 pm

Ugh, i just go to the CTOs for any ticketing issues now... I even call the Rosemont Westin United CTO now.... helped when my Great Lakes flight was delayed and they weren't too helpful.

I also want to bi*#$( about UA Res. I had a trouble on some flights and was IDB'd by "accident" and they started getting out the compensation, and one of the trips I asked to be upgraded between Florida and Chicago, which was ticketed via United / Air Wisconsin at BMI-CS, and called back a few days prior, only to be told by some punk lippy guy that I was not "qualified" to fly United First and said the record lacked documentation and instead threw me in row 32 of a 757. I made a very disgruntled call to United Sales in Orlando and it was quickly fixed and I was rebooked in NF.

Is it me or are there some VERY COCKY and over zealous United Res Agents? I didn't even ASK about my seat assignments, which were booked in F on both segments, but somehow he kept asking who made the reservation, who authorized this fare, what the $50 voucher was for, etc. I felt like I was being questioned by the FBI!

Again, for any ticketing issues, I've found it easier to hit the United CTOs, while they are still around. Some of these folks KNOW what they are doing and are some of the most knowledgeable guys around (must be since they aren't working the queue's at the airport).
Old May 28, 2001, 7:19 pm

Originally posted by Shanghai:
I am still waiting on those 1K luggage tags that I keep seeing on FT. Has anyone recieved their tags?
Depends on which tags you're talking about.

If it is the "Welcome firsttimer" leather(ette?)tags, they're sent out the first time you make 1K.

If it is the annual tags made from business cards, you have to drop the cards off at a 1K room, and pick the tags up (sometimes they'll make them while you wait). I don't know of them accepting cards by mail, or sending the tags out by mail (although I suppose if you were good friends with someone who worked in a 1K room, it could be arranged).
Old Jun 3, 2001, 4:09 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ElmhurstNick:
[b]UALRSSRDTWRR, Welcome to FT!

Are 1Ks allowed to request to be transferred to a particular 1K res agent? That's the way it works at AA at the EXP desk. If the agent is not there or with another customer, I can either work with whoever I drew randomly, or leave a message to get called back. I can also send a fax to the agent, although I've never done so.

No, you can not be transfered to a certain agent to do your bookings. Ua does not do this because it can create favortism to some passengers. Also there is no way to transfer you to an agent. So the agent you get when you call is who has to do your bookings.
Old Jun 3, 2001, 10:20 am

I called the 800-241-6522 number last week, and only waited on hold for only two minutes. I also have to say that the agent I had was nicer and knew what she was doing better than almost everyother 1K agent I have every spoken to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.