Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA Now Offers Refunds for Nonrefundable Tickets...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2001, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold

...E-tickets, that is. I didn't see this posted so I thought I would put this up. If I missed it, my apologies.

I just took a look at the UA May 2001 Premier Update newsletter, and on page 7 they talk about the 'our United commitment':

Faster refunds for E-Tickets'
We have pledged to provide prompt ticket refunds to our customers. Now we'd also like to improve upon this by giving you a special new benefit.
Effective immediately, you may request a refund for E-Tickets classified as non-refundable, provided you make your request within 24 hours of purchase. Of course, you may request a refund on your unrestricted United E-Ticket at any time.

How do I request a refund?
To qualify for a refund, you must provide your Mileage Plus number or the credit card you used to pay for your ticket. In addition, you will be asked to provide the number of the ticket for which you will be requesting a refund - or select this ticket from a list of your recent itineraries. The E-Ticket refund service is available only on tickets purchased by credit card for travel within the United States or Canada. Refunds may be issued on tickets for future travel, and also for unused tickets whose travel dates have passed. You may request a refund or check the status of your existing refund 7 - 10 days after you submit your request by contacting United's refund department via united.com or by calling 1-888-551-6881

Good move to include E-Tickets. However, it seems like UA is conditioning their pax for a slow refund process. I assume that they would not consciously count on benefitting from any floats here...

I took a look at the ual.com website, and see that the old info about not allowing E-Ticket refunds is still posted. That is surprising, because UA chooses to provide current information via snail mail rather than electronic means.

Too bad the deal doesn't apply to international travel (for me, who travels 10-20 int'l segs for every domestic one), but its a start.

[This message has been edited by UAL Traveler (edited 05-17-2001).]
Old May 17, 2001, 8:36 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
The 24 hour refund window on non-refundable tickets is part of the "Customer First" BS that came out some time ago.

Some airlines will guarantee a fare for 24 hours after reservation before ticketing. (CO for example, but not on internet bookings)
Old May 18, 2001, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
The 24 hour refund window on non-refundable tickets is part of the "Customer First" BS that came out some time ago.
But E-Tickets were specifically excluded up till now.
Old May 18, 2001, 10:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
This sorts out a major problem in buying tickets from United.com
Old May 20, 2001, 9:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
I asked for an e tix refund for a coach sfo-lhr flight w/i less than 24 h.

The sytem took the request.

Later I read the web site info that mentioned us/canada flights only. Then I checked on the status on the phone and it said the refund had been issued.

Don't know if I was lucky or if the rules changed for the better.
Old May 21, 2001, 12:50 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1P MM
This refund is especially handy if your fare changes overnight. My wife and I recently bought tickets SFO-ONT. Her's came across at $128, mine at $152. She got the last W fare. Grr. Anyway, I looked on the website the next day and the fare was back to $128. (More W Seats opened up over night) I refunded my original ticket and repurchased, saving $24.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.