Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

2/28/2009 UA766 ORD-BWI pilot reports "green laser"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2009, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I was on the referenced flight last night and was listening to the ATC ch9; the pilot reported, "we were just hit with a laser from the right side".

ATC replied, repeating the report for confirmation. About a minute later ATC asked the color of the laser and the pilot responded that it was "greenish".

About another minute later ATC asked if there were any injuries - the pilot said there were none and then ATC warned the plane directly behind us.

It was a little unnerving - not like flying through the snow/sleet squall wasn't bad enough.

Has anyone else experience a "laser" report?
Old Mar 1, 2009, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat, Amex Plat, CSP. FAA Rotorcraft PPL
Green laser? ...? Aliens?
Old Mar 1, 2009, 1:52 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by TechnoPagan
Has anyone else experience a "laser" report?
Saturday evening, on Flyertalk 1 (AKA UA153), ORD-SFO, Captain Flanagan and FO Skywalker were warned of a possible laser, also on the right side, soon after takeoff.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 1:55 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by salanki
I bought a green laser pointer a few years back for presentations (I wanted to be different). It says it is visible from 25 miles away, I just figured it was an advertising gimmick. I once shined it straight up at night outside and could see the beam quite a ways up, but figured it would dissipate and be so weak long before it ever reached an airplane.

Guess someone could have had one on another plane and was shining it out the window. But its very unlikely a beam would hit another plane, the dot is already 4 inches across on mien after 20 ft. But if they claim is true, the source would be visible to anyone up to 25 miles away.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 1:59 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Originally Posted by emanon256
I bought a green laser pointer a few years back for presentations (I wanted to be different). It says it is visible from 25 miles away, I just figured it was an advertising gimmick.
SkyMall catalog?
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

There has been a number of reports about green lasers targetting aircraft on approach to airports here in the UK.

Some details here;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7641453.stm

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
And in SEA last weekend:
Someone shining laser at planes landing at Sea-Tac
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...But its very unlikely a beam would hit another plane, the dot is already 4 inches across on mien after 20 ft. ...
A typically laser pointer (red/green/blue) is more like 1/4 inch at 20 feet (roughly 1mrad spreading).

The big issue is it Class II (less than 1mw), IIIa (1-5mw), IIIb(5-500mw) or IV (>500mw). Laser Pointers are not to be more than 5mw in the USA but are available
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:25 pm

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by salanki
Green lasers are more visible to the naked eye than red lasers.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k Million Miler
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A typically laser pointer (red/green/blue) is more like 1/4 inch at 20 feet (roughly 1mrad spreading).

The big issue is it Class II (less than 1mw), IIIa (1-5mw), IIIb(5-500mw) or IV (>500mw). Laser Pointers are not to be more than 5mw in the USA but are available
I just bought one of those and had it checked out in an optics lab at work. Measured 48 mW. Tech said holy crap and put safety glasses on.

I still use it but don't lend it out as many presenters are careless and sweep the audience with the beam.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 1, 2009 at 2:33 pm Reason: language
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:16 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Saturday evening, on Flyertalk 1 (AKA UA153), ORD-SFO, Captain Flanagan and FO Skywalker were warned of a possible laser, also on the right side, soon after takeoff.
I heard that too, maybe 5 minutes after takeoff
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:56 pm

Hopefully just kids playing around. Unfortunately, I've seen some of these high-powered lasers made avail in Asia pretty easily.

These are not for presentations. They would burn a whole through the screen. =P lol
Old Mar 1, 2009, 4:03 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I had Channel 9 on last night before pushback and heard the initial report by UA766 to ATC followed by the warnings to all following flights. I've also heard similar reports when flying into SFO. It's obvious while it may be a case of silly people fooling around, it is taken very seriously by pilots and ATC.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 4:33 pm

figured it would dissipate and be so weak long before it ever reached an airplane.
Lasers, because they only contain one wavelength of light, as opposed to white light, which contains all wavelengths, and that wavelength typically is more "tightly packed" than the various wavelengths of white light, it dissipates less.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 4:46 pm

It is taken extremely seriously, and for good reason. High-powered lasers shone into the cockpit can be distracting at a crucial phase of flight, and they can even cause injury to pilots.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2004...-111356-3924r/

It is taken seriously by law enforcement and the courts as well.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009...into_airp.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.