Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

RCC Renewal Roll Call: What did you do about renewing? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RCC Renewal Roll Call: What did you do about renewing? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2009, 11:52 am

Programs: DL PM,UA MP(former 1K), Hertz 5*G, National Emerald Club, SPG, Marriott Silver
Did nothing. Didn't renew. Mine ended in February. Just not worth it anymore, even before the increased price. Flying less and guess I can sit at the gate like everyone else.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Unhappy

I reluctantly renewed until June 2010. My wife said, "I don't want to rejoin the RCC. It is lousy compared to the Koru Club. Let's join the Koru Club instead." I had the sad duty to tell her that the Koru Club just isn't available throughout the US, and that there just isn't a much better alternative in the US.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
We renewed after a fair amount of thought - good discussion here - so we're now good until Dec 2010. We paid with cash rather than miles. The free Internet was the tipping point for us, but I certainly understand and respect the reasoning of those who chose not to.

Cheers,
Fredd
Old Mar 1, 2009, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Renewed with spouse thru May, 2010, paid with cash.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 12:48 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by gomike
I am surprised to see how many people put so little value on their United miles, spending them at less than 1cpm is a huge waste IMO
Yeah, that's the way I looked at it too. I renewed in advance to extend my membership to 9/1/2010 (waiting until the last day of course). Spent the $300 (on the MP Visa), those 40K RDM's will be much more valuable put towards something else.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 12:48 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I decided not to renew after much interenal debate.

Here are my reasons:
- Sick and tired of inconsistent service. Some days the RCC agents are angels, the next day they are pure evil
- Horrible bartenders. Lazy, rude, and unprofessional.
- Poor food choices
- No business center amenities. It's supposed to be a business lounge, isn't it?
- Poor work spaces. (e.g. exposed wires in the work cubbies at DEN)
- Cleanliness. IAD is disgusting, in particular
- Restrooms. Broken sinks and toilets, foul smells. The door on one of the stalls in IAD was actually falling off of it's hinges.
- Removal of the door on the "quiet room" at ORD. It may sound petty, but it's just so stupid, and it drives me nuts. There are always people speaking on their cell phones in there now, and every other part of every other lounge you are subjected to blaring televisions.
- Not open when I need them (e.g. before a redeye from SEA, which I fly OFTEN)
- I figure I can buy a day pass up to 6 times for the same price if I REALLY need the lounge for some reason
Old Mar 1, 2009, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
I renewed early to save the extra miles and here's why:

-I spend most of my time either in SFO, SEA, or MCO RCC's. All of those are good facilities and the MCO and SEA staff are top notch. I'm always addressed by name before presenting the BP at MCO.
-I'm expecting considerable lounge sharing with CO by year-end.
-I'm going to fly 120 segments this year domestically. The R/R qualities, despite what everyone says here, are much much better than the terminal.

A club's a club. Hotels have jacked rates the past 4 years without a lift in service as well.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 1:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I renewed with cash early (good through Nov 2010). I am mostly a domestic flyer (will take my first international trip later this year) and fly a decent amount thru PDX, SEA, SFO, LAX, and IAD. IMO, the lounges on the West Coast (with the exception of LAX) are worth spending the money on.

I will wait to see if CO's PC get reciprocal access to RCC. If that happens, I might get a PC membership instead thru CO's card with Chase that has PC membership ($375 fee).
Old Mar 1, 2009, 1:20 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Did not renew -- been a member since 1992.
It will be wait and see until August to see if UA changes anything (Doubtful)
With 90% of my flights international, I still have club access. The additional benefit of free internet is not worth it -- as my home MCO already has it free.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I didn't renew, but that had more to do with being 1P now, a recent new member, and qualifying for 1K later this year - and therefore only being a $50 price increase. I think it's better to eat the $50 and know what's going on in a year when I have to renew.

For $350/$400 though, IMO the RCC is worth it.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
renewed a month early with miles, but only for myself. mr kk really isn't traveling these days unless he's with me, so one membership is enough.

as far as not valuing the miles...between the two of us we have about 800,000 (i know, i know, we need to start burning, but i'm always trying to accrue) so no, i don't value them.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
Renewed

I renewed early on MP Visa and I am hopeful with the increase in price the clubs will be less crowded.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Renewed early with miles. Most of my travel this year is going to be domestic, so it made sense...
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
I renewed for cash so good until April, 2010 but dropped the spouse option as my wife's domestic trips are mostly with me.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:51 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Fortunately, I didn't have to make a RCC renewal decision. I get it gratis (for now) by flying over 2MM BIS.

If I didn't get it gratis, I would consider the CO lifetime Presidents club membership (if it covers both UA and CO lounges) and not deal with the UA RCC decision to renew...or not to renew.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.