Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Please thank your FA's for letting you stay on the plane..."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Please thank your FA's for letting you stay on the plane..."

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2009, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Mark_K
If it's negotiated, it's only illegal if the extra time makes the person's pay less than minimum wage. Also, transportation has always been a little different that way going back to the railroad workers who got paid for a 500 mile day no matter how long it took.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that it's illegal (hence my comment about it being negotiated). But it doesn't seem like a wise choice, since it leads to situations like this where any reasonable person would say the FAs are working and yet they don't get paid and thus themselves don't consider themselves working.

Originally Posted by Javan69
Now, no one gives a crop, but oh, they demand to be treated like sharp dressed men and women. Seeing t-shirts and sweats in int'l F, well, do you think for a moment anyone is going to work for a U.S. airline and provide SQ service?
I don't disagree with the gist of your argument, but the clothing part is rather strange, given that I hear there are well-respected airlines that provide their F passengers with pajamas (I've never experienced that myself). Given that UA doesn't, I don't consider it rude when passengers wear comfortable clothing when traveling. The primary reason for to try and fly C/F is comfort, after all.

You're welcome to continue to wear your tux on the way to Europe, though
Old Feb 27, 2009, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by dimramon
That's what the GA announced on my flight today.
During boarding of group 3, a groundstop was announced at MSP due to the snowy weather. The GA came on board and said that they stopped boarding, but people that were already on the plane, could stay on if they desired so.

She went on to say "that we should really thank our FA's and give them kudos for allowing us to sit on the plane. They get paid only when the plane pushes back, so they are doing this as a favor to us. So, please don't ask them too many questions or service related-things right now. Thanks again, FA's"

While I can appreciate the work FA's do, I thought this was tacky and unprofessional.
I'm curious to hear what others think, without turning this into a union debate....
Originally Posted by RS250Racer
Those kinds of things would not be said on LH, or TG or ANA... I just spent 3 weeks in Europe and Asia, lots of flights on the above carriers, and when I got back to the states and got on UA again it is just so sad what we as Americans have become...it is pathetic.
This thread is weird in my opinion! Here you had some FA's who were willing to stay onboard without being paid and off the clock so that some passengers who wanted to sit in the cabin versus in the terminal didn't have to get off, they had a choice. That was a NICE thing to do, and not REQUIRED. Geez, the things folks complain about here is just amazing. This was an example of United employees doing something nice for the passengers, and you get folks here complaining about how they mentioned it and shouldn't have, how this is standard overseas (which it isn't) and blah blah blah. And folks wonder why employees eventually just give up trying to please passengers or do anything extra? People constantly complain here that they think the employees don't try hard enough. Here, you had some go the extra bit to make a situation a little nicer, and you still get people complaining.

Last edited by aluminumdriver; Feb 27, 2009 at 1:50 pm
Old Feb 27, 2009, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
This was both an excellent example of proactive customer service and an excellent example of poor customer service.

Excellent: Information that gave pax a choice - stay on the plane or deboard if you like. Any time you can provide a choice, it gives people control of their own situation.

Poor: The "inside baseball" information "they get paid only when the plane pushes back." Always avoid "behind the curtain" remarks; when you're in customer service, like Disney says, you're really "on stage." This kind of remark is considered an "off stage" remark and shouldn't be broadcast over a PA or said to a large group of pax.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
This was both an excellent example of proactive customer service and an excellent example of poor customer service.

Excellent: Information that gave pax a choice - stay on the plane or deboard if you like. Any time you can provide a choice, it gives people control of their own situation.

Poor: The "inside baseball" information "they get paid only when the plane pushes back." Always avoid "behind the curtain" remarks; when you're in customer service, like Disney says, you're really "on stage." This kind of remark is considered an "off stage" remark and shouldn't be broadcast over a PA or said to a large group of pax.
Exactly. It's the post-9/11 airline industry attitude of making passengers feel like nuisances and potential burdens just for being present.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 1:38 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
That was a NICE thing to do, and not REQUIRED. And folks wonder why employees eventually just give up trying to please passengers?
Flying UA is a nice thing to do and NOT required....

Are you kidding me? Give up trying to please passengers??? When, back in 1975?

Don't feel bad, it is not just UA, which is what many of us are saying, it is our whole service culture in the states.

I can not even begin to tell you the difference between my Star Alliance flights I took in Asia over the last few weeks and then getting back on UA...

I will NEVER forget being in F from SF0-FRA and halfway thru the flight they hand me a sandwich in a plastic wrapper, same as they give out in Y...when I didnt eat it the FA came back in about 10 mins and asked: " what you don't want that?"

I just flew in F on NH from Narita to Frankfurt...blown away by the food and service, just unreal...they served me a cheeseburger halfway thru the flight that was better than many I have had on the ground.

The only quality, professional service I see from UA these days comes from the cockpit...I got nothing but respect and praise for those UA employees!
Old Feb 27, 2009, 1:57 pm

Flying UA is a nice thing to do and NOT required....

Are you kidding me? Give up trying to please passengers??? When, back in 1975?

Don't feel bad, it is not just UA, which is what many of us are saying, it is our whole service culture in the states.

I can not even begin to tell you the difference between my Star Alliance flights I took in Asia over the last few weeks and then getting back on UA...

I will NEVER forget being in F from SF0-FRA and halfway thru the flight they hand me a sandwich in a plastic wrapper, same as they give out in Y...when I didnt eat it the FA came back in about 10 mins and asked: " what you don't want that?"

I just flew in F on NH from Narita to Frankfurt...blown away by the food and service, just unreal...they served me a cheeseburger halfway thru the flight that was better than many I have had on the ground.

The only quality, professional service I see from UA these days comes from the cockpit...I got nothing but respect and praise for those UA employees!

The complaint you are talking about is what the employees have been complaining about, the nickel and diming of our passengers, and subsequent decrease in the UAL product. That is a management decision, we have no say on what you get for a meal, or how many drinks you get or that you can't have the soda can or whatever. Believe me, United FA's were not the ones who came up with selling items in the back. That is made from up high on Mt Tilton. Ryan Air just announced pay toilets onboard, I can only imagine this getting talked about at WHQ.

To be fair, in your post you are comparing two services that we have no control over. If you were to say the FA's were better on NH than UA, that would be fair. But to compare the food product, seats, plane, whatever, really isn't since we as employees don't control that.

This really wasn't a thread about the United product, but about the FA's doing something nice for the passengers and yet still getting ridiculed for it because the GA mentioned it? I mean, really.

Glad you are pleased with your cockpit crews, but you are dealing with the FA's a lot more than the cockpit crews too.

Last edited by aluminumdriver; Feb 27, 2009 at 2:16 pm
Old Feb 27, 2009, 2:35 pm

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

I don't disagree with the gist of your argument, but the clothing part is rather strange, given that I hear there are well-respected airlines that provide their F passengers with pajamas (I've never experienced that myself). Given that UA doesn't, I don't consider it rude when passengers wear comfortable clothing when traveling. The primary reason for to try and fly C/F is comfort, after all.

You're welcome to continue to wear your tux on the way to Europe, though
I'm not saying that there should be dress codes and the PJs are for changing into mid-flight. I'm just saying that as our society has become more and more casual you can't expect service, in general, to reflect otherwise. If you look at U.S. carriers in that light, it becomes understandable.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 4:04 pm

This thread is weird in my opinion! Here you had some FA's who were willing to stay onboard without being paid and off the clock so that some passengers who wanted to sit in the cabin versus in the terminal didn't have to get off, they had a choice. That was a NICE thing to do, and not REQUIRED. Geez, the things folks complain about here is just amazing. This was an example of United employees doing something nice for the passengers, and you get folks here complaining about how they mentioned it and shouldn't have, how this is standard overseas (which it isn't) and blah blah blah. And folks wonder why employees eventually just give up trying to please passengers or do anything extra? People constantly complain here that they think the employees don't try hard enough. Here, you had some go the extra bit to make a situation a little nicer, and you still get people complaining.
+1
Th GA probably said it so there wouldn't be complaints on FT about the "lazy" FA's. Gee, wonder who it is that would complain...
Old Feb 27, 2009, 5:13 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Ok, you still don't get it...let me try one more time.. I could actually not care less about the food, it is the attitude. Yeah the food was great on NH, but it was the service that was the made the experience.

By and large the FA's are not only NOT friendly they are downright SURLY!

Many times I do not feel welcome but that I am inconvenience to the FA's...it is a complete joke...
I don't care what is going on with your management, if you don't like your job, go get another one....like picking up trash.

Each and every employee can be nice and helpful, that COSTS NOTHING!!

I will also say again, this is NOT just confined to UA, it is a major problem in all areas of service in the US, it is just that UA employees seem to excel at it.

If one good thing can come out of the depression we are entering and that will be an improvement in customer service!

The complaint you are talking about is what the employees have been complaining about, the nickel and diming of our passengers, and subsequent decrease in the UAL product. That is a management decision, we have no say on what you get for a meal, or how many drinks you get or that you can't have the soda can or whatever.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 5:20 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
here here ^ and i had a quite similar situation at lax (tho no "g/a announcement" ). we were told that we could stay on the a/c or wait in the gate area and and where the captain offered up a flight deck visit, your didn't have to say "goalie sit, goalie stay" a second time . way cool as i got to sit in the "boss's seat" complete with headset and the f/a's offered up chocolate chip cookies from the galley ^ to all of those who stayed (regardless of whether you were sitting in f or y)
Old Feb 27, 2009, 7:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
Tacky. And shows the problem with the U.S. labor pool.

What's wrong:
1) employee first
2) customer last

What's more effective at creating an experience everyone loves:
1) customer first
2) employee nearly first

We all would do well to treat each other better.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 9:27 pm

I will also say again, this is NOT just confined to UA, it is a major problem in all areas of service in the US, it is just that UA employees seem to excel at it.
!
What hyperbole. In my experience UA employees are no worse at customer service than any other airline or business for that matter.

That's not to say service in the U.S. is perfect. Far from it. But that is our country's culture. To compare US F/As to other F/As who come from a different culture is misguided.

Asian airlines also discriminate more than US airlines based on age, appearance, marital and family status. Maybe that doesn't bother some people, but it conflicts with our core values. @:-)

Last edited by Potreroflyr; Feb 27, 2009 at 9:46 pm
Old Feb 27, 2009, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by andrewwm
The FAs and GAs gave people an option. If you've already stored all your stuff and were just going to read anyway, it'd be a nice choice. I fail to see why having the situation clearly explained and being given a choice is horrible.

Sure, the announcement was a bit over the top, but in the end a transparent and full explanation of the situation was conveyed and a choice was offered.
^^Exactly. Passengers were better off for being given the option of staying on board rather than having to deplane. The announcement was inappropriate, but much less important than the option itsefl.

If one good thing can come out of the depression we are entering and that will be an improvement in customer service!
I wouldn't be so fast to generalize about customer service in the United States. Sure, it's worse than parts of Asia (though better than some other parts). But it's far better than in parts of Europe and some other parts of the world. Plus those of us who travel internationally, especially flying in premium cabins (such as NH F) and staying in nice hotels, can get a distorted view of customer service in those countries. I definitely prefer the customer service I usually get on Asian carriers to those on American ones, but am reluctant to generalize beyond that to draw conclusions about the decline of American civilization.

As for improved customer service coming out of the coming depression, that would be nice but there might be higher priorities to hope for.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 10:47 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Ryan Air just announced pay toilets onboard, I can only imagine this getting talked about at WHQ.
Well, the CEO mentioned it, but it was "denied" by the official spokesperson. RyanAir's CEO is known for making off the cuff profanities and BS statements just to get his airline in the press.

The great "European" carriers clearly do not include RyanAir, and any comparison between US service being low compared to European carriers if you include ALL the Euro carriers, which includes the Brittish isles LCC's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.